The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Pettersson not the same player we expect him to be?

Rate this topic

b3nnyb

1 hour ago, Bo Dega said:

He will be fine...I only wish he would spend some more time in the gym and less time trying to be some kind of fashion-guru. 

Someone please show him what a benchpress is. 

What he needs is Crosby’s strength coach to build him some tree trunks. Still can’t believe how many times he falls a game from just skating straight. 

On 10/20/2021 at 10:24 AM, Wolfgang Durst said:

If I remember correctly Pettersson got injured in February / March 2021 and missed the remainder of the season because of an injury. Hence he hasn't played an NHL game over a span of almost six months.

When you are out that long it affects your game. Doesn't matter if your name is Jonathan Toews, Sidney Crosby or Elias Pettersson. It takes a while until you get going and the rhythm and instincts come back to normal.

Interesting also that Petterson visited Vancouver in September in order to get the contract extension done. He showed a willingness to get this done, because he knew after being so long sidelined training camp would be even more important.

The fact that he missed camp is for sure one main reason why he isn't performing as everyone expects him to perform.

I think we also have to take into consideration that even before his injury in February  / March 2021 he had a down year 2020 / 2021. He wasn't as dominant as he was in his rookie season. Time will tell how good a player he is.

is there a pto contract for training camp if there are ongoing  negotiations so the players still can train with the group or they have to sit out? 

4 hours ago, 250Integra said:

What he needs is Crosby’s strength coach to build him some tree trunks. Still can’t believe how many times he falls a game from just skating straight. 

He doesn’t have the physical make up to be like Crosby, he is slight of frame. Look at his head and body. He’s similar build to Brandon Sutter maybe even slimmer. Some people just can’t put on that kind of weight without chemical help and even then I'm sure it would mess with his body movement and skill. 

1 hour ago, ABNucksfan said:

He doesn’t have the physical make up to be like Crosby, he is slight of frame. Look at his head and body. He’s similar build to Brandon Sutter maybe even slimmer. Some people just can’t put on that kind of weight without chemical help and even then I'm sure it would mess with his body movement and skill. 

Still remember when cdc was fangirling over "jacked" Petey as capt america last years training camp

2 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Still remember when cdc was fangirling over "jacked" Petey as capt america last years training camp

Alot of fan girls in cdc for sure. Pettersson don’t care… hes made bank… thing is you sign that contract, the higher the dollar amount the more critical the fans will be and deserve to be. (Cough Ericksson cough)

4 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I just don’t remember him being this easy to knock off the puck or knock off his skates. Obviously was never a heavy power forward type but damn he looks like he got weaker in battles and slower too.

Well i've been watching him get knocked off pucks or on his ass since he got here ... draws a ton of penalties as a result - i've wondered if sometimes it's intentional.     Guys tough to hit...so at least there is that.     This year no camp is for sure hurting him.    Better get going or he might lose his spot in the top six and have to earn it back.  

13 hours ago, 250Integra said:

Funny, I was going to mention Crosby aswell, and I agree but I think it is Crosby`s professional mindset/attitude he needs more than his strengthcoach. Both of them have high-end skills but Crosby has combined that with some serious work ethic in the offseason....which is necessary if you want to reach that elite level.

And you are right about the legs, only benchpress would´nt help. Hopefully he will realize this soon and fix it. At 24.25 he could be ready to take off...He will never reach Sid´s level but if he stops this social media nonsense and the fashion bs he could rise to the next level.

It is nice to sit on the couch and tell people, professional hockeyplayers, what to do ;) EP´s slapshot is better than mine, but other than that...I don´t knowB)

3 hours ago, Bo Dega said:

Funny, I was going to mention Crosby aswell, and I agree but I think it is Crosby`s professional mindset/attitude he needs more than his strengthcoach. Both of them have high-end skills but Crosby has combined that with some serious work ethic in the offseason....which is necessary if you want to reach that elite level.

And you are right about the legs, only benchpress would´nt help. Hopefully he will realize this soon and fix it. At 24.25 he could be ready to take off...He will never reach Sid´s level but if he stops this social media nonsense and the fashion bs he could rise to the next level.

It is nice to sit on the couch and tell people, professional hockeyplayers, what to do ;) EP´s slapshot is better than mine, but other than that...I don´t knowB)

Should be a clause in athletes contracts forbiding social media.  

Ill never understand the pathetic and egocentric need for some of these athletes to showcase themselves through platforms like IG. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Ill never understand the pathetic and egocentric need for some of these athletes to showcase themselves through platforms like IG. 

Some of these athletes supplement their incomes with lucrative endorsement deals based in no small part on their social media popularity.  Can't blame an athlete for trying to make a buck,  right?

I think he's still healing up. Matthew's as well.

Wrist injuries can take a long time. There's - your better and you can wipe your own butt - and then there's better and you can dangle pucks and rifle lasers at top speed. could explain his trials at face offs - or that's just something that Bo and Dick need to pound in to him.

maybe he's still recovering from long haul covid - who knows.

15 hours ago, ABNucksfan said:

Every pro that I've stepped on the ice with has had a massive trunk. One of their legs usually equals the entire lower body of a regular Sam.

I'd be shocked if Pete hasn't been focusing on lower body and core - that's the power centre for hockey. Traps, lats, pecks, bis and tris are secondary. Even junior 'B' kids focus on legs. Glutes, quads and hammies, that's where the money hits the dirt.

It's strength, not weight. Classic old school farm boy made of sinew, or the fire hydrant tank guy (aka - Crosby). The muscle beach guys are easy to play against, cause they can't move very well, and usually their centre of gravity is off cause they work upper body way too much.

3 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Don't forget that for the most part these are teens and twenty-somethings, who are people on social media for the most part. We can't blame it on social media when it only anecdotally affects a small percentage of players.

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Team Bagues said:

Every pro that I've stepped on the ice with has had a massive trunk. One of their legs usually equals the entire lower body of a regular Sam.

I'd be shocked if Pete hasn't been focusing on lower body and core - that's the power centre for hockey. Traps, lats, pecks, bis and tris are secondary. Even junior 'B' kids focus on legs. Glutes, quads and hammies, that's where the money hits the dirt.

It's strength, not weight. Classic old school farm boy made of sinew, or the fire hydrant tank guy (aka - Crosby). The muscle beach guys are easy to play against, cause they can't move very well, and usually their centre of gravity is off cause they work upper body way too much.

Yep, strength, but they need some weight aswell, Peteys bodyslam comes to mind and now Luke Hughes who got tossed around...these lightweights can get hurt pretty easily. Upper body muscles are great for protection, padding if you will, but as you say a powerful lowerbody and core are most important.

I´m sure they have good strength coaches, and it takes time to put on muscles so let´s see where they´re at at 25.