The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 26, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, CanucksCountry said:

What has he done besides luck into getting 2 top 2 picks that built the rangers? he's by far a worse gm then GMJB

6 hours ago, Viper007 said:

What has Jeff Gorton done other than sign Panarin who wanted to go there.

Traded for Mika Zibanejad, Adam Fox, and Ryan Strome.

The majority of the Rangers’ core were built from the Gordon era.

• Cheers 1

I am wondering what Jim Benning thinks about this teams depth at centre?

1. Why isn't Brandon Sutter ready to play when the team needs him?

2. Why isn't William Lockwood ready to play?

He was a third round pick in 2016, is 23 years old, was at camp, played pre-season games.

3. Will Lockwood ever become an NHL player?

4. Jim: Have you ever thought about your draft record? Have you ever put in some brain analyzing what went wrong with prospect A, B,C, D ... ?

• Wat 3
  • RoughGame 2

11 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

He was a third round pick in 2016, is 23 years old, was at camp, played pre-season games.

4. Jim: Have you ever thought about your draft record? Have you ever put in some brain analyzing what went wrong with prospect A, B,C, D ... ?

1. Brandon Sutter has been discussed often. He has long covid which is causing him to feel fatigue. The symptoms appeared after the contract was signed.

2. Very few 3rd rounders make it to the NHL. The fact that he is almost ready for the show is great news though I think he got injured again. He was working at being on the PK 

4. This has been discussed at length and there are umpteen thread about this. Stop trolling.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CanucksCountry said:

What has he done besides luck into getting 2 top 2 picks that built the rangers? he's by far a worse gm then GMJB

Lol the 2 top picks built the rangers? Kakko and lafreniere? They aint even a big factor yet in NY.. 

What about the 2nd rounder they traded to get the Adam fox?

What about bassard for zbanijed? 

Those 2 trades alone is way better than any move Benning have made in his tenure in vancouver. 

Getting kakko and lafreniere prolly push them ahead of schedule but even if the rangers didn't draft them they would still be in a good position. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

4.  It’s pretty darn solid.  Jared McCann, a late 1st round pick, center, has 7 points in 7 games so far this season.

8 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I think it took until this game. For me anyway. I'm finally on board with fire Green. I have backed him long enough. There are things I like about him. But he's just not getting enough out of this team. It's time to get a coach.  

I’m with you. It’s time for a change. 

22 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I think it took until this game. For me anyway. I'm finally on board with fire Green. I have backed him long enough. There are things I like about him. But he's just not getting enough out of this team. It's time to get a coach.  

Maybe. Last night I personally felt it was more a player problem. The guys were trying and moving out there, but a couple too many giveaways (as usual) and attempted plays that failed put us on the losing side of the game. Until two of our top scorers in Pettersson and Boeser look like the players they are, I think it's unfair to place the blame solely on Green.

20 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Imo, the re vamp roster is JBs' way of admitting to his past mistake(s); and the re signing of Green is his way of giving him a chance with a better roster.  So far, the on ice product is the same and we all know how this will end if Green doesn't change his methology cause even with different players, the team is struggling with the very familiar issues.   

More (expensive) roster tweaking only  leads to less chemistry on & off the ice cause of player turnover.   Green seems to focus more on personnel rather his methology.

10 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Maybe. Last night I personally felt it was more a player problem. The guys were trying and moving out there, but a couple too many giveaways (as usual) and attempted plays that failed put us on the losing side of the game. Until two of our top scorers in Pettersson and Boeser look like the players they are, I think it's unfair to place the blame solely on Green.

In your opinion, what is the coach's responsibility ? I understand your take about players responsibility: coming in ready. 

I agree, EP & BB based on the eye test are not the same; QH on the other hand, who was in the same boat of having no training camp, is humming along.  Perhaps there is lingering issues still bothering them from there injuries.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

In your opinion, what is the coach's responsibility ? I understand your take about players responsibility: coming in ready. 

The coach is there to motivate the team, encourage the team to play a certain way, massage the lines and work with his assistants to draw up plays and situational responses.

I'm certainly not squarely on the Green bandwagon. I feel he generally does a good job of working with the players and getting a good effort most nights - but I also feel he and/or his assistants aren't coming up with plays that work. I've felt this way pretty much through his entire tenure - though it was excusable earlier on as we struggled for talent.

Something needs to happen for this team to turn the corner to be a contender, and I'm not certain what that is. As mentioned, if our stars (Yes, Quinn has been the best of the three) don't produce, we're going to have a tough time winning games. I think when they are back 100%, we will have a better idea of who is at fault for the lack of success if it persists.

I slept on it. Is it the players or is it the coaching? I'm leaning towards coaching. 

Last night we saw a less talented Minnesota team look a lot more organized and ready to play. Their structure and play was confident. They came out of their zone with speed and knew where each other would be and completed hard crisp passes. As a result, they gained confidence throughout the game. 

Canucks looked confused. Their play was slow and tentative. Petey is a prime example. He is now slowing down as he approaches the opposing blue line. His play used to be a lot faster and more aggressive but this tells me that he is not confident with knowing where his teammates will be. 

I think we have very intelligent players but they all look deer caught in the headlights. The fact that we took guys like Chiasson, Dowling Highmore who "know" systems over perhaps more deserving prospects shows Green's lack of confidence to teach young guys more structure and system. 

It's now been training camp, 7 preseason games, 7 regular season games. Shouldn't we be seeing a more refined product at this point Esp with the vets we decided to go with? Why does it look like they still need another 15 games to figure it out? And who's to say they will figure it out in 15 games when they have shown inability thus far including last year? 

• Vintage 3

4 minutes ago, kloubek said:

The coach is there to motivate the team, encourage the team to play a certain way, massage the lines and work with his assistants to draw up plays and situational responses.

I'm certainly not squarely on the Green bandwagon. I feel he generally does a good job of working with the players and getting a good effort most nights - but I also feel he and/or his assistants aren't coming up with plays that work. I've felt this way pretty much through his entire tenure - though it was excusable earlier on as we struggled for talent.

Something needs to happen for this team to turn the corner to be a contender, and I'm not certain what that is. As mentioned, if our stars (Yes, Quinn has been the best of the three) don't produce, we're going to have a tough time winning games. I think when they are back 100%, we will have a better idea of who is at fault for the lack of success if it persists.

I think this team is sort like the Winnipeg Jets. There are lots of great pieces at least on paper. However, it just does not lead to results when it counts. Imagine Paul Maurice's frustrations all these years :rolleyes:

54 minutes ago, hammertime said:

While I'd be fine moving on from TG, I don't see it happening.  I've been a supporter, but his mismanagement of young, talented players is becoming an issue.

• Vintage 2

11 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I slept on it. Is it the players or is it the coaching? I'm leaning towards coaching. 

Last night we saw a less talented Minnesota team look a lot more organized and ready to play. Their structure and play was confident. They came out of their zone with speed and knew where each other would be and completed hard crisp passes. As a result, they gained confidence throughout the game. 

Canucks looked confused. Their play was slow and tentative. Petey is a prime example. He is now slowing down as he approaches the opposing blue line. His play used to be a lot faster and more aggressive but this tells me that he is not confident with knowing where his teammates will be. 

I think we have very intelligent players but they all look deer caught in the headlights. The fact that we took guys like Chiasson, Dowling Highmore who "know" systems over perhaps more deserving prospects shows Green's lack of confidence to teach young guys more structure and system. 

It's now been training camp, 7 preseason games, 7 regular season games. Shouldn't we be seeing a more refined product at this point Esp with the vets we decided to go with? Why does it look like they still need another 15 games to figure it out? And who's to say they will figure it out in 15 games when they have shown inability thus far including last year? 

Deleted.

Edited by Maddogy

Just now, Maddogy said:

Minnesota is a fast team with some big guys. It's not just their structure or system, they have really good players. So instance, Player Name Ek took major steps forward akin to Bo Horvat, while Pettersson regressed. If you want to blame Travis Green, he should have made sure that Pettersson worked his butt off during the summer. 

It's not just the horses. 

Yes erkison ek played well yesterday. He stood out for me. But the team playing as a unit is night and day. One team played with confidence and completed passes while the other just looked not ready to play

That being said, I would take this roster over minnesota in a heart beat. 

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

It's inexcusable how poor the special teams are. If the PP can't score or barely get a shot on net, then team isn't going to win many games. Being a .500 team is no longer good enough. 

The players are there. They need coaching

Lots of excuses for PK due to injuries. No excuse for PP. 

4 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

Minnesota is a fast team with some big guys. It's not just their structure or system, they have really good players. So instance, Player Name Ek took major steps forward akin to Bo Horvat, while Pettersson regressed. If you want to blame Travis Green, he should have made sure that Pettersson worked his butt off during the summer. 

So more roster tweaking is the answer ?