The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 26, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

They hired him in March. He didn't have much of a 2020/21 season with them. What he did do though is have his players ready for the season. They've all bought into something there. I don't think Green is enough of an authority and I wonder how much respect he actually gets from the veterans on the team. They need a coach who is demanding and gets the most out of his players.  Green's hippy-dippy attitude of losing happens because of the ebbs and flows, blah blah.  Losing is not okay. 

Hiring a new coach may not turn the ship around right away. Look how long it took Dave Tippett in Edmonton. His hair grayed a lot in Edmonton.

49 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I'll preface my comments by saying that I'm not a big Green fan, have my concerns, and wouldn't mind a coaching change.  I'm not clamoring for a coaching change however.

At the risk of seeming like I'm just making excuses for the team, I think what the Canucks are going through is something all teams go through.  Every team faces a challenge of being ready for a game, especially after the first game after a long road trip.  They are dealing with injuries just like all teams and their stars are experiencing slumps just like the stars of other teams do from time to time.  As far as a league average experience, I think the Canucks are basically just going through what the average team does.  They have had below average results partly as a factor of lack of depth of talent.

The other part of the below average results is tougher to pin down - is it the make-up of the on-ice personnel or the coaches?  Theoretically speaking, coaches can devise the best systems in the world but if the on-ice personnel cannot execute those systems, then it doesn't really matter how good those systems are.  The corollary is true too with coaches having terrible systems with great on-ice personnel who execute those systems but still get negative results because the systems are ineffective.

As far as on-ice personnel go, I think there's no doubt that the Canucks have the most depth of talent in their lineup than they have had in many years, outside of the thinner depth on D.  What seems to be consistently lacking, IMHO, is what appears to be a lack of urgency from the players.  Is that the system or is it the players?  The roster has seen considerable upheaval over the last few seasons, yet the problem remains.

IMHO, I think what might be an issue is that Green's coaching style and systems just may not be that consistently effective with the core of this team, for whatever reason.  I don't think there's any disdain between coaching and players, but there might just not be a fit.  We might get spurts of excellence, but until something clicks so that the players are showing up at puck drop with urgency more often than they aren't, I suspect we might see more of the middling performances that have been more common over the last few years.

It would not surprise me that if the Canucks were to fire Green, he will find success elsewhere in the league.  It happens often enough in this league.  Rick Bowness has had success with Tampa and Dallas, Mike Sullivan with Pittsburgh, etc.  I don't think the team needs a guy like Torts but when Quenneville and Gallant were available, it seemed like an opportunity to bring in a more experienced coach with a proven ability to maximize the play of a variety of rosters filled with various personalities (although in the case of Quenneville, perhaps a good thing we passed).  Green might get there someday, but unless something clicks with the Canucks, that day may have to come elsewhere.  Again, I'm not calling for Green to be fired.  At this point I think it depends on how much longer management wants to give Green and his staff a chance to get this team playing consistently at the level they need to be at to not be an average to below average team in this league.

As the saying goes - both are good people but they just don't fit together.

Good take, sometimes it is best to move on for the betterment of the both.   JB gave Green a better roster and the on ice product still suffers from very familiar issues.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

2 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Ok,

I've calmed down since last nights game. I'm feeling better. It was a bad one, but they can rebound right?

It wasn't that bad. It was not like Florida or Tampa scoring goals against the Canucks at will. Minnesota was the better team but Fiala and Kaprizov were checked effectively. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

As the saying goes - both are good people but they just don't fit together.

Good take, sometimes it is best to move on for the betterment of the both.   JB gave Green a better roster and the on ice product still suffers from very familiar issues.

But is this the right time? Who is available? Why were these guys fired and out of a job? Are they going to wreck the team even more? Are they going to ask Pettersson to block shots and play Horvat 25 minutes a game?

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Nope it’s 100% true. Green is by far the worst coach we have had for playing favourites and refusing to move off his opinion of what a player is even when they prove it every night.

Were you around for Willie D's usage of Megna and Chaput? haha

There’s concerns for sure. Coaching, defensive depth. Not a happy performance for our first home game. I think a lot of it is chemistry right now though.

I do think we are a little overbearing here and I think once Petey and Boeser get going we are going to string some wins together. 

8 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

It wasn't that bad. It was not like Florida or Tampa scoring goals against the Canucks at will. Minnesota was the better team but Fiala and Kaprizov were checked effectively. 

Fiala had an expected goal for percentage of 87% according to the Natural Stat Trick model.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Were you around for Willie D's usage of Megna and Chaput? haha

Yes but Desjarfins also had terrible rosters to deal with. He still made a lot of mind numbing roster and lineup decisions but for me Green has no excuse. This roster is good enough that we should never see Highmore in the top 9 as an example.

2 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Imo, JB admiited to his past mistakes by re vamping the roster, to perhaps re evaluate the Staffs ability with a better roster - basically, no more excuses (?).

...and when our 2 star players are playing like they can, I would agree with this statement. 

Ok, lets put the brakes on here! LOL

I am not a Green supporter in anyways, and I will get into what I feel is wrong, but Minnesota is a 5-1 team, we are playing as a 500 team right now. We lost 3-2, and really did not get dominated the way people are talking here. So Whoa.............

In saying that, I am not happy with the static PP we have. We don't have to be all over the ice, but when you have a man advantage, you should not make it easy on the other team. Being static does exactly that. Pettersson stands in the exactly the same spot every PP and really does not move all that much. Is it true he has no more abilities, and can only score from that spot? I think not! I like Hughes on the 1st PP, but again, he has to be MOVING!!!!!!

I next beef is, we just do not exit our zone with speed 5 on 5. It is like we are waiting on something. I would much prefer that our Dmen, start with a explosive departure, meaning, skating with the puck and then hitting already skating forwards, with what was said to be our forte, "a transitioning, first pass", not these long stretch passes that end up with a winger by himself, attacking 2 Dmen, and a back checker. Sure stretch passes should be an option, but moving as a unit, works much better. 

It strikes me on that note that, a 5 man unit going up ice together at full speed, gives us so many more options.

Lastly, with Hamonic finally coming back, it will make a difference, of course "IF" Poolman is not out too long. So, I am going to give our .500 team up until the 10 to 15 game mark before, I start yelling the sky is falling.

Hey, nothing wrong with voicing disappointment, but it was only 3-2 loss

I am more amused at who is so upset!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

just based on pp alone Green should be fired.
It is clear that he is way over his head tactically only switching between chiasson out for pp while everything else remaining the same (movement, static positioning, positioning of players, entry)

Either he has no more ideas or he doesn’t trust his players to do anything else..

Either way that alone should be a reason for termination 

1 minute ago, cdgraham said:

How many actual goals did he score 

Demko to thank.

The story of the past couple of seasons.  They often allow more chances against than they generate, but have high end goaltending (before Markstrom and now Demko) and players who have above average finishing skills who can capitalise on the fewer chances they get.  

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Yes but Desjarfins also had terrible rosters to deal with. He still made a lot of mind numbing roster and lineup decisions but for me Green has no excuse. This roster is good enough that we should never see Highmore in the top 9 as an example.

Highmore playing a bit on the 3rd line is a far cry from Megna being played on the 1st.