The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks PP is not effectiveness, any suggention?

Rate this topic

Rabbit

16 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Ok my 2 cents....

There's no bomb on the point. I like a cannon on the point and a sniper on the halfwall. You then get 2 options.

If the pk goes low, hit the 1 tee high. If the pk stays high, hit the one tee low.

Without a cannon up top all you do is not let 40 hit the one tee. The net presence isn't a big guy so that's limited too. 

Hughes has a great shot, and OEL was arguably the deadlist option we had on the PP last game. Albeit not saying much. My issue stems from the fact we don't have a scoring threat on the left side. Miller is almost always looking to make a pass cause he is left handed on the left side. And isn't even a good playmaker so it's rough sledding. I suggest putting Boeser on that left side. That way we have one timer threats on both wings. Put Garland down low, since he's our best passer outside of Hughes, Petey and OEL. This keeps the goal line pass to Horvat in the slot threat alive. While also extending the threat to the right and left half boards.

Cause the problem I am seeing right now is Boeser and Miller are in playmaking positions and neither are playmakers. Miller isn't a one timer threat cause he is left handed on the left side. And Boeser's passes are average at best. We need shooting threats in more than just the point and right half boards. Nobody really defends Miller's side. So the 4 defenders just take away the passing lanes to the slot and to the right half boards.

Edited by N7Nucks
  • Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, stawns said:

Chaisson does a good job in front of the net, but the Petey, Hughes, Miller triangles wastes 90% of the pp time passing back and forth.

Exactly what ive been saying.  Its become cringe worthy and its blatantly obvious.  Miller is fine.  Its petey, Hughes and Brock who are trying to pad eachothers stats.

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Hughes has a great shot, and OEL was arguably the deadlist ootion we had on the PP last game. Albeit not saying much. My issue stems from the fact we don't have a scoring threat on the left side. Miller is almost always looking to make a pass cause he is left handed on the left side. And isn't even a good playmaker so it's rough sledding. I suggest putting Boeser on that left side. That way we have one timer threats on both wings. Put Garland down low, since he's our best passer outside of Hughes, Petey and OEL. This keeps the goal line pass to Horvat in the slot threat alive. While also extending the threat to the right and left half boards.

Cause the problem I am seeing right now is Boeser and Miller are in playmaking positions and neither are playmakers. Miller isn't a one timer threat cause he is left handed on the left side. And Boeser's passes are average at best. We need shooting threats in more than just the point and right half boards. Nobody really defends Miller's side. So the 4 defenders just take away the passing lanes to the slot and to the right half boards.

Hughes and OEL make very good shot selections. They don't have a cannon though.

Brock needs to shoot for sure.

millers back hand drop pass to hughes is very ineffective and thats the only play he makes. he cant make a cross ice pass to petey for 1 timer cause petey has to settle every puck before passing it back to hughes. So again who is shooting the puck?

i would take miller of pp1 and replace with garland sho skates fast and shoots good

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Nuck1991 said:

millers back hand drop pass to hughes is very ineffective and thats the only play he makes. he cant make a cross ice pass to petey for 1 timer cause petey has to settle every puck before passing it back to hughes. So again who is shooting the puck?

i would take miller of pp1 and replace with garland sho skates fast and shoots good

Ya why does Petey always have to settle the puck now?

He was able to just shoot it in his first season.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BPA said:

They need to shoot from everywhere.  Force the goalie to make a save.  Get the PK scrambling to get the rebound out.  Kick the puck back to the point and shoot it again. 

Stop trying for the pretty plays. 

Remember when things weren't going right we used to just "shoot the puck" as anything can happen doing this? This was especially true when the team was slumping. Not sure if this is a philosophy anymore with this team.

15 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Hughes has a great shot, and OEL was arguably the deadlist ootion we had on the PP last game. Albeit not saying much. My issue stems from the fact we don't have a scoring threat on the left side. Miller is almost always looking to make a pass cause he is left handed on the left side. And isn't even a good playmaker so it's rough sledding. I suggest putting Boeser on that left side. That way we have one timer threats on both wings. Put Garland down low, since he's our best passer outside of Hughes, Petey and OEL. This keeps the goal line pass to Horvat in the slot threat alive. While also extending the threat to the right and left half boards.

This is bang on! I suggested moving Garland up as well, he passes well, can score, and is currently one of our top point getters, its a no brainer. Very true about Boes and Miller as well. This move alone I believe would better the chances then what we are doing right now. When the Lotto line gets going , then go back to the old set up.....if you have to. B)

12 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Agreed, and get it warmed up with like 8 passes just between miller and hughes. 

Don't forget Petey.......then someone loses possession or makes a bad pass and it gets shot down the ice until there is 15 seconds left in the PP. The Second PP Unit "may" or "may not" get a chance after that. ::D

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Hughes and OEL make very good shot selections. They don't have a cannon though.

Brock needs to shoot for sure.

Cannon from the point is overrated anyway. But I still think Hughes has a rocket of a shot. Is it Weber levels of hard, no. But it's strong and more importantly accurate. Edler had a cannon but never got in through so having a cannon means nothing to me. Nobody really does the massively heavy point shots anymore anyway. Snap shots or slappers with the intent of them getting tipped. The biggest threats so far on our PP are the goal line pass to Horvat and the point shot. Petey has been a ghost and Miller is a non threat. Which is why I don't see the point as the weak point of the PP right now. It's Miller and Boeser being misused.

I'm serious here:

Step 1) Have the coaching staff watch 20 hours of Edmonton Oilers powerplay video.

Step 2) Have the Canucks copy the Oilers' approach

Step 3) Even if the Canucks are only 50% as good in their execution as the Oilers, they will still be a 23% powerplay (good for 10th in the league).

Ok, not totally serious, but I think the coaching staff should actually watch a lot of Oiler PP video.

Unpopular opinion but Hughes is just not that creative as the guy running the puck movement. He gets the puck from Miller, walks out along the line, passes to EP. No shot, rinse and repeat. OEL passes the puck effectively to both sides, moves more effectively, and can actually hit the net with a low, accurate shot. 

The ONLY reason they need Chiasson to park himself in front is because they are stationary. They need to move and make all 5 players a threat. Most power plays amount to a 4 on 3 for the penalty killers.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Unpopular opinion but Hughes is just not that creative as the guy running the puck movement. He gets the puck from Miller, walks out along the line, passes to EP. No shot, rinse and repeat. OEL passes the puck effectively to both sides, moves more effectively, and can actually hit the net with a low, accurate shot. 

The ONLY reason they need Chiasson to park himself in front is because they are stationary. They need to move and make all 5 players a threat. Most power plays amount to a 4 on 3 for the penalty killers.

Garland and OEL moved the puck really well last game on the PP and then Green proceeded to put OEL on the #1PP. I am sure if the Coaching staff had any kind of creative minds they would see what combination of players provides the best opportunities. So tired of the same PP, I am more inclined to just play 5 on 5 for the whole game. Its at least more entertaining.

I like your suggestions. I don’t like Hughes at the point because his shot rarely finds its way to the net. It would be awesome to have someone with a cannon from the point. 
I would consider trying Hughes on the half wall, to see if he can create more offended from there.

Garland has earned his shot on PP 1.

It would also be good if PP 2 got more than 15 seconds of PP time. Having said that, if we scored more often with PP 1, say within the first minute, this would be better yet.

No Chaisson is a wonderful thing. Let

Podz work his fearsome magic in front of the net. Release the beast.

:gocan: GCG

Edited by PistolPete13

Kevin Woodley's interview on the people's show yesterday was one of the most insightful interviews I've heard in a long time on Canucks radio.  He talked a lot about analytics and how the Canucks can produce more offense especially on the powerplay.  He said that the Canucks are the worst team in the NHL at generating off broken plays.  A big thing about the Oilers power play is that they create out of the chaos not allowing the PK to reset.  The Canucks on the other hand he said are very good at winning puck battles out of the chaos, but then they try to send it back to the point to settle it down again rather than creating down low after regaining control which allows the PK to reset which makes complete sense.  I know someone earlier mentioned how McDavid said that coaching goes a little way, but it's on the players to improvise, and I believe that's exactly what he's talking about in this situation.

He also said at 5 v 5 that the biggest rise in offense in the last two years come from passes behind the net or at the goal line either being in clean plays like the two goals in regulation for us last game, but also creating that chaos and getting greasy goals like Pearson almost got last game, but it hit off the post.  That's something the Canucks were barely doing before last game, but in the second and third period that night they were doing a ton of that which made Canucks dominate the expected goals metric at like 80% in those two periods.

This is one area of the game that Garland really excels at.  He controls the goal line and behind the net so well, and putting him on that first line last night showed how effective he can be with finishers on the ice right in front.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rindiculous said:

Kevin Woodley's

When Kevin Woodley is talking I do my best to listen.

One of the few that is credible, knowledgeable and able to dispense his viewpoint in an easy to understand way.

tldr?    Hire the guy in whatever capacity he feels he can help your team.

5 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Cannon from the point is overrated anyway. But I still think Hughes has a rocket of a shot. Is it Weber levels of hard, no. But it's strong and more importantly accurate. Edler had a cannon but never got in through so having a cannon means nothing to me. Nobody really does the massively heavy point shots anymore anyway. Snap shots or slappers with the intent of them getting tipped. The biggest threats so far on our PP are the goal line pass to Horvat and the point shot. Petey has been a ghost and Miller is a non threat. Which is why I don't see the point as the weak point of the PP right now. It's Miller and Boeser being misused.

I politely disagree.

A cannon from the point is lethal especially in the playoffs. Go ahead, block a shot. Sami Salo will break your ankle.

It's not about scoring it's about opening up space. 

Hughes shoots like a 13 year old child...but he's accurate and quick so that's ok.

Edited by Chris12345