The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Dallas Stars at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 07, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, sassbs said:

Why do I have a feeling the boys just decided to try for once and this had nothing to do with coaching and all to do with “let’s show them what we could do just once, but let’s not try moving fwd as we still need green fired” 

:bigblush:

We would have the wrong type of players making up this team if that was a plan by them

They are professionals and should do the best they can

If the boss is telling them to do the wrong thing that's on him and let him dig his own grave

People save to go to a home game and look forward to it

They better not have that attitude, and just go play and do their job the best they can and why they got to the NHL and making the big bucks as a reward

I don't want to see prima donnas on this team

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Rantanen.  Makar.    No freaking way Nathan isn't going for the big bucks now.  

I get it but Sakic is one of shrewdest GM in the league, just like Yzerman.

Imo, Mackinnon has been following the same model as Crosby: high valued contracts with an extra year or so to lower the cap hit.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

They've been trying, it just hasn't been working because when you do lose, it becomes a matter of the mental game taking over.  Squeezing the stick stuff.  And what they likely realized was that maybe they were "over" trying/thinking and to simplify and just play hockey.  As was said in the interview....move the puck quicker, move their feet more, shoot more.  We saw that last night....they got back to basics and quit trying to create pretty plays and setting up to the point that it gave their opponents time to also do so. 

I have a feeling that Demko showing some frustration the game before on the way out likely spoke volumes to them (as well).  They had to find a way to take some of the burden off him by scoring some goals.  

I honestly was just joking about the whole not trying bit. Joking Just Kidding GIF

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, JM_ said:

thats what I mean, next summer. We won't be able to make any major changes, but maybe thats OK, give his group two years to gel and make a real run in 2-3 seasons. 

Its more possible to me now that Myers might be the guy moved if we need cap space. 

Benning, "IF" he survives, has some work to do this off season............for sure!

1. Balancing the budget

2. Obtaining a RHD

3. Obtaining a 3rd line center with FO ability

4. and somewhat related to #3 in fix the god darn PK

IMO, and it kills me to say this, but Benning could get a pretty big haul for Miller, and long term, he does not fit.

But before they do move him, they have to keep developing Pods, who IMO, is showing some very serious abilities.......

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, JM_ said:

thats what I mean, next summer. We won't be able to make any major changes, but maybe thats OK, give his group two years to gel and make a real run in 2-3 seasons. 

Its more possible to me now that Myers might be the guy moved if we need cap space. 

I feel like we’ve been talking about success in 2-3 years since the beginning of Benning 

I will also mention that despite Miller's good play recently; he is still a good choice as the guy that gets traded.

He is older than our "core", he is a fine player, so worth a lot of trade value, and his contract is getting closer to the end-as is Bo Horvat's.

• Cheers 3
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Benning, "IF" he survives, has some work to do this off season............for sure!

1. Balancing the budget

2. Obtaining a RHD

3. Obtaining a 3rd line center with FO ability

4. and somewhat related to #3 in fix the god darn PK

IMO, and it kills me to say this, but Benning could get a pretty big haul for Miller, and long term, he does not fit.

But before they do move him, they have to keep developing Pods, who IMO, is showing some very serious abilities.......

Miller is realistically our best trade chip to obtain a top 4 RD. The problem is, I don't know if we can afford to loose a top line winger. When we had Lind and Gadj in the system, we could bank one of them developing into a top 6 winger. But I'm not sure we currently have any future top 6 winger options coming up in our system right now.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

The moment Pettersson switched with Miller in the circle and headed to the net, you could see that was enough to throw their pkers off.

So much focus is put on Petey by opposing teams he has the ability to draw guys out of position.

Little switch ups like that is enough to throw the other teams strategy completely out of whack.

Does it make you wonder why our PP has been so static for this long? Green suggesting his conversation helped but why would any coach be so slow to adjust. Even us non professional fans have been harping on this for weeks. It seems as though Pettey worked hard in his interview to no call out the coaching, Miller seems a little less concerned and nailed the static, boring nature. That's 100 percent on coaching if indeed it took this long to green light some creativity. The player need to stop listening to these play book coaches and start making their own.

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

I will also mention that despite Miller's good play recently; he is still a good choice as the guy that gets traded.

He is older than our "core", he is a fine player, so worth a lot of trade value, and his contract is getting closer to the end-as is Bo Horvat's.

Miller isn’t being traded. Only guy other than Bo that can win face offs, only physical top 6 guy, yadda yadda

Miller is going to be a Canuck for a long time.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Obviously happy about the win, but I really hope the Canucks defensive play and PK starts to make some improvements; otherwise, Green's going to be forced to run Demko into the ground and start him every game. 

The offence seems to be making progress, but let's be honest, Demko keeps the Canucks in games. 

1 minute ago, Shayster007 said:

Miller is realistically our best trade chip to obtain a top 4 RD. The problem is, I don't know if we can afford to loose a top line winger. When we had Lind and Gadj in the system, we could bank one of them developing into a top 6 winger. But I'm not sure we currently have any future top 6 winger options coming up in our system right now.

I agree

It is not like we want to trade Miller. With no Cap ceiling, we keep him, and Tanev, and Markstrom, and Toffoli, etc.............

As for winger coming up............I sure have my fingers crossed for these RWers

Klimovich....................Sure looks to have that all around top 6 potential

McDonaugh................The guy can put the puck in the net, and he is big

Lockwood....................3/4 line $&!# disturber......Personally, I think he should have made it already

All of which, are solid candidates

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I agree

It is not like we want to trade Miller. With no Cap ceiling, we keep him, and Tanev, and Markstrom, and Toffoli, etc.............

As for winger coming up............I sure have my fingers crossed for these RWers

Klimovich....................Sure looks to have that all around top 6 potential

McDonaugh................The guy can put the puck in the net, and he is big

Lockwood....................3/4 line $&!# disturber......Personally, I think he should have made it already

All of which, are solid candidates

Right you are, Jan. I was very impressed with Klimovich with the small sample size I saw. It's possible he develops into a top 6 option for us, but I'd reckon that's still a couple years down the line. Lockwood will hopefully he a good bottom 6 player for us, and I'm not sure so sure about Mcdonaugh myself. Not that I have some inside scoop or anything, and he has been looking fantastic for NE this year. But I always temper my expectations for players coming out of college. Fingers crossed though.

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The PGT is shorter after a Canucks win.

:bigblush:

LOL it sure is

not much to complain about yesterday

Demko still had to stand on his head  but hoping this game was the slump buster we all needed for our stars as our fire power hasnt shown up yet this year.

Lots of things to like about yesterdays game

WAY more movement on the PP.

Is it a surprise that Petey and Miller switched spots and Miller got off the shot to score on the PP.  

We need frequent movement like that.  I feel like we went back to stationary passing later on which makes no sense to me and I hope the players realize they went back to their old habits with the perimetre passing.

So strange that they couldnt see what led to their success on the earlier powerplays.  It was all about quick movement, and simplifying with getting shots quickly on net.  

That is on the players but it is also on the coaching staff to identify this right away and ask why they have reverted back to not moving.

If our guys like Hogs and Pods continue to improve and play well while our stars finally start showing up, man, this team will be scary good. Garland was Garland.  What a freaking trade JB! OEL and Garland were great additions.  

Hughes has improved defensively.

With OEL regained 1D form and improved d-play of Hughes along with Poolman impressing, we have a solid D. Myers and Hamonic look good gut there. Burroughs looked a little shaky to start  but looked better as the game went on.

Could getting Dowling back be what we needed?  Our 4th line wasnt hemmed in as badly as the last few games.  It will only get better with Motte coming back.

Only wish Sutter was healthy too.

That's why Ive been so frustrated so far. We are way better than what we have shown so far.

• Cheers 1