The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Anaheim Ducks | Nov. 14, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

The team made the playoffs the year after torts was canned.  Same team that made the finals 2 years prior. It was a contending team that torts wrecked.

you are joking, right?

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Yeah, I'm with you on Shaw. I'm just pointing out people can't have things both ways if no one better is available. Be careful what you wish for.

At least we can go from it's a pretty new team with new faces, it takes time to gel, to it's a new coach blaa, blaa, blaa. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Yeah, not what I'm saying at all. You know that. And I also know if you loved this arguement, you wouldn't have replied. Come on ... lol

I agree on Shaw but at least make a better case of how this team would improve under Shaw's systems rather than just saying Shaw is better... that's easy.

It’s hard to be worse than they are under Green’s systems. That’s pretty obvious at this point.

Its more about a new voice right now and a new culture being developed. Maybe Shaw ends up only being an interim coach, who knows.

The first order of business is to fire Benning and Weisbrod. Hire a PoHO who can serve as interim GM while he finds the long term replacement. Make Shaw interim coach and hire new assistants.

Then realistically evaluate what you have roster wise and coaching wise and make long term decisions on them.

• Cheers 1

Well if you believe that Aquilini was the one who told Gillis to hire Torts I would imagine they’ll be very hands on now too.

The next coaching hire will likely be Aquilini’s. Benning, like Gillis, will likely have little to no say if he’s even retained.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

It’s hard to be worse than they are under Green’s systems. That’s pretty obvious at this point.

Its more about a new voice right now and a new culture being developed. Maybe Shaw ends up only being an interim coach, who knows.

The first order of business is to fire Benning and Weisbrod. Hire a PoHO who can serve as interim GM while he finds the long term replacement. Make Shaw interim coach and hire new assistants.

Then realistically evaluate what you have roster wise and coaching wise and make long term decisions on them.

Good comment. I appreciate that. I don't disagree with your logic. Right now I'm at holding the players accountable ... they're making the millions ... maybe I'm wrong... I just think firing the coach is the easy route but... yeah ... something's gotta change. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

Good comment. I appreciate that. I don't disagree with your logic. Right now I'm at holding the players accountable ... they're making the millions ... maybe I'm wrong... I just think firing the coach is the easy route but... yeah ... something's gotta change. 

I think the players have to be held accountable too. It’s not ALL on coaching. Here is the thing for me though. The roster has been radically turned over. The only constant is the management and coaching. The same issues are popping up every season.

Replacing the coach and GM at this point is by far the lowest risk, highest reward type move Aquilini can make. Because trading a player or two with enough impact to change what is consistently wrong will mean trading core players. May as well try a new coach before giving up on this group IMO.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I think I'm with you.  I may not agree with some of the systems I see in place, but execution is absolutely horrible and even if those systems may not fit the players themselves, they should be able to execute somewhat.  That's on the players and I believe there is something wrong with the culture in the room itself.  I have my guesses but of course it is all speculative.  What is apparent is that "professional" players are not playing up to levels well below expectations.

I'm at the point that I'm not even sure a coaching change will fix the above.  If that's the case then bring in a new GM and let them determine if its the coach or players or what then start making changes from there.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well if you believe that Aquilini was the one who told Gillis to hire Torts I would imagine they’ll be very hands on now too.

The next coaching hire will likely be Aquilini’s. Benning, like Gillis, will likely have little to no say if he’s even retained.

If all the major decisions are made by Aquillini's, how can he fire Benning?

FA: "Hi Jim, I'm going to fire you."

JB: "But I just did what you told me to do!"

lol

Worst 3 games we've played in decades I reckon, and now we're rolling out one of the worst Canucks teams to memory. Worst of all is that we're underperforming with a team full of about 5 or 6 stars who could be All stars even.

Big changes are needed, yes, but I don't think this season is able to be saved after this road trip now.

45 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

I personally want to see this guy coach the Canucks.

I really hope not, I really don't want to see us run with a third rookie head coach in a row. This team needs to compete, I think most people would prefer someone more proven. 

That being said, you're more than welcome to your opinion. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I think the players have to be held accountable too. It’s not ALL on coaching. Here is the thing for me though. The roster has been radically turned over. The only constant is the management and coaching. The same issues are popping up every season.

Replacing the coach and GM at this point is by far the lowest risk, highest reward type move Aquilini can make. Because trading a player or two with enough impact to change what is consistently wrong will mean trading core players. May as well try a new coach before giving up on this group IMO.

You know, beyond the emotion of all this ... I agree with you. Truly appreciate responding in such a grounded, reasonable way. I respect that big time. Fundamentally, we're on the same page. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Thraxious said:

I think I'm with you.  I may not agree with some of the systems I see in place, but execution is absolutely horrible and even if those systems may not fit the players themselves, they should be able to execute somewhat.  That's on the players and I believe there is something wrong with the culture in the room itself.  I have my guesses but of course it is all speculative.  What is apparent is that "professional" players are not playing up to levels well below expectations.

I'm at the point that I'm not even sure a coaching change will fix the above.  If that's the case then bring in a new GM and let them determine if its the coach or players or what then start making changes from there.

100% ... we've been down that coaching road before. That's an easy road to take. I'm more about... wait a second, let these guys lead their way out of this hole rather than blame coaches. 

If it is the coaches, that'll come home to roost. The players are making ridiculous money. They need to be MUCH better. 

Appreciate such a great response from you. :)

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Worst 3 games we've played in decades I reckon, and now we're rolling out one of the worst Canucks teams to memory. Worst of all is that we're underperforming with a team full of about 5 or 6 stars who could be All stars even.

Big changes are needed, yes, but I don't think this season is able to be saved after this road trip now.

We have played less than 1/4 of the season. That hardly constitutes a lost season that can't be saved. The 'fans" on this forum are cringeworthy.

Are we in trouble? Absolutely.  We still have 66 games to get it right.

Edited by TheCammer
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EmilyM said:

He needs to hire a President. Let a competent Pres offer something we’ve never had under the Benning regime. Vision. Let the Pres choose a GM and coach to suit that vision and Aquillini needs to stay out of management decisions.

Yeah, this will come down to Aquaman and how much autonomy he will give the teams' leadership.