The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Blight for Wright - Canucks already at less than 10% chance to make the playoffs

Rate this topic

Provost

No chance of getting Wright with our luck or management team. 

We will suck like crap all season again then save that miracle run for the last 10 games of the seasons to put ourselves back in the 8-10 range again and end up drafting some lazy, brainless smurf fatty instead of a franchise player :picard:

Sorry... just sad and frustrated with this whole mess... 

I think realistically sooner or later this team of players has to string a few wins together, and with SEA looking to tank eventutally and ARZ already putting in a Sabers like effort with Tank Commands Louis at the helm I doubt we will come within canuck luck of winning. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

This isn’t gm mode in NHL 22.

No I'm serious, I have 0 faith in this core now. 

Petey is not even a shadow of himself. Horvat is just floating out there. Boeser is doing squat on the ice. Miller is just mulling all over the place. Only players that are playing to their potential are Hughes and Demko, but if we are gonna suck with our non existing top line, might as well get a haul for them. 

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Why wouldn't firing a clearly incompetent coach be the first step before a major trade?

They just extended his contract and it sounds like Jim still believes in him. Jim needs to now try to convince the owners to stay the course. Good luck with that. I'm hoping for a refresh with this team, new GM and coaching staff with a better vision/plan. 

Would it be crazy to trade Horvat or Pettersson?

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

They just extended his contract and it sounds like Jim still believes in him. Jim needs to now try to convince the owners to stay the course. Good luck with that. I'm hoping for a refresh with this team, new GM and coaching staff with a better vision/plan. 

Nope but don't expect much if a return. They both are not even playing like healty scratches in the nhl. 

36 minutes ago, BPA said:

I read somewhere on the internet that Canucks would need to win about 40 games to make the playoffs. 

Highly unlikely unless they are the second coming of the St Louis Blues. 

I've said this before but that St Louis Blues had a VERY deep blueline.  That doesn't remotely describe the situation here.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

If Benning still wants Green, I sure as hell don't trust him to make a trade.  

• Cheers 1

Funny this popped up now. I was just doing the math on the wins required. Put the bar at 92 points (likely low) - the Canucks need 80 points in 66 games. While not impossible it is improbable. There is a reason why the teams that are out by the end of November rarely make the playoffs. The league is competitive and I actually am surprised at how much better the Pacific division has been. I really figured Calgary, Vancouver and LA would be competing for 3rd and 4th in the division. And here we are - LA and Anaheim are doing well. Edmonton is playing very well and Calgary is way better than expected. The Pacific is not a tire fire and that does not bode well for the Canucks making up ground.

At this point there are 20 games left against the Pacific and there are about 22 games left against teams like Toronto, Tampa, Florida, Carolina, etc.. Based on that, I would not be placing a bet on the Canucks making the playoffs. They needed to be in the thick of the race now and not already in a hole. 

Go ahead and quote me to disagree but the reality is the math is not in their favour. Not impossible just improbable. Which is exactly what I said last season as the year rolled along. As of today they need a win percentage north of 60 just to get to 92 points. The issue is they have done nothing while performing at a win percentage of 37.5% to show me that is the anomaly. 

• Upvote 1

Green will be here for the home games.   I feel this will be his last test.   If they fail now then we will see major changes 

and I don’t want to see another ahl coach here. I want a big name, well reputed coach 

Edited by sassbs
  • Vintage 1

A big part of the apathy is trying to figure out how we can even get out of this.

Assuming we don’t make a good playoff run this season (which the odds indicate is extremely unlikely), that gives us a single season to show we are a team on the upswing before we have to try to convince Miller and Horvat to re-sign or lose them for nothing as UFAs.  We have to somehow turn things around next season without any cap space to add any significant pieces.

I don’t see them wanting to sign a next contract for one of the worst teams in the league.  They will be at an age where they want a chance to win before they are too old.

Just picture our team without Miller and Horvat and no assets in return for them.  We have no prospects in the pipeline to take over from them.   No free agent is going to sign to a perennial loser without being vastly overpaid and handcuffing us. That means another full rebuild from scratch starting two years from now.

To improve our long term organizational health in a shorter timeframe that leaves the horrifying prospect of trading both those players before this deadline when their value will be at the highest because they won’t just be rentals.   Both would be highly sought after due to their playing styles for the playoffs and their reasonable cap hits.

Boeser is also likely most attractive as a trade asset right now before he gets a new deal… I am not even sure he is very attractive now even with a $7+ million ticket looming.

We would need to get top prospects and 1st round picks for each of them, and then maybe flip those 1st round picks at the draft for good NHL roster players that may be cap casualties.

None of that is going to happen because no one is ready to restart the whole process after an 8 year streak of futility.

What are the alternatives for us to get better?  Just keeping hoping that last year and this year are mirages and the same team will miraculously get way better?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2