The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Blight for Wright - Canucks already at less than 10% chance to make the playoffs

Rate this topic

Provost

44 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Under Green       8 - 15 - 2     .360

Boudreau bump  8 - 0 - 1       .944

Since then          21 - 13 - 7    .573

Year to date        37 - 28 - 10  .560

If you just look at the record under Boudreau in total it is 29 - 13 - 8  .660

So the question for JR and Allvin is what is the right way to look at this team?  Are they a .660 team and clearly then a playoff team, or are they a bubble team who got a Boudreau bump?

Their assessment of that will determine/chart the course going forward into the summer with decisions to be made. Which are they? A playoff team that needs a couple moves, or a bubble team that needs big changes?

The Canucks after the Boudreau bump is exactly half a season and pro-rates to 98 points for a year.  That's if you don't give them credit for the Boudreau bump.  Either way it seems like this roster with a coach other than Green is a playoff team.  With the Boudreau bump they are killers, without the Boudreau bump they are 3rd in the division or a wild card team.  Doesn't mean the GMs shouldn't try to improve the team or build for the future or whatever the plan turns out to be...but they were clearly a coach away from performing pretty well as they were constructed.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I'm afraid to say; our slim hopes evaporated three weeks ago when we blew the Detroit/Buffalo "sure-thing" games.   As usual, this season will be like nearly all the other Uncle Jim Season's where we go on late season - futile winning streak simply resulting in a worse draft pick position.  It's like a record playng over and over and over again.   

Now that JB's been punted out, that JR, Alvin & "The Chipmunk Girls" will see what all "normal" sober Canucks fans have known for a long time - that this team needs to be rebuilt not re-tooled as we are nothing more than a middlle of the pack - below average playoff hopeful team at this point after almost a decade of Jim B being in charge.  I'm not sure about you, but IMO that spells "FAILURE"!   

Unless, major changes are made we will see the continuation of the same results indefinately and i don't think JR was brought in here to strive for that so expect big moves to come.......

Feels all too familiar indeed. 

We talk about teams should keep winning because of pride but, honestly, where was this pride in the first 25 games? Or more recently the previous homestead? 

I'm not against the rebuild approach. Benning put the core in a vicous cycle that it would be difficult for any succeeding management group can break out of. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

So the question for JR and Allvin is what is the right way to look at this team?  Are they a .660 team and clearly then a playoff team, or are they a bubble team who got a Boudreau bump?

Their assessment of that will determine/chart the course going forward into the summer with decisions to be made. Which are they? A playoff team that needs a couple moves, or a bubble team that needs big changes?

I don't think they are a playoff team. The Travis Green excuse has run its course. The team blew the last homestead maybe winning 3 of thous games could have put the team in a better spot. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

The Canucks after the Boudreau bump is exactly half a season and pro-rates to 98 points for a year.  That's if you don't give them credit for the Boudreau bump.  Either way it seems like this roster with a coach other than Green is a playoff team.  With the Boudreau bump they are killers, without the Boudreau bump they are 3rd in the division or a wild card team.  Doesn't mean the GMs shouldn't try to improve the team or build for the future or whatever the plan turns out to be...but they were clearly a coach away from performing pretty well as they were constructed.

At .573 isn’t that a little shy of 94 points?  That isn’t a playoff team in almost every year.

We could spend all our cap space re-signing our current players just to be a team that is fighting for a wildcard spot.  How does that help us?

We actually get worse as we will have to pay Hoglander and Podkolzin in the very near future as they come off their ELCs.  We don’t have anyone in the pipeline of their calibre to replace those efficiencies.  That is what happens when you give away a bunch of picks to help a team (and try to save your job) that isn’t even playoff calibre.

The only real way to be a contending team is to bite the bullet and sell off a couple assets to get younger as well as restocking the pipeline.  We need cheap players continually coming in as ELC guys start getting paid.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Provost said:

At .573 isn’t that a little shy of 94 points?  That isn’t a playoff team in almost every year.

We could spend all our cap space re-signing our current players just to be a team that is fighting for a wildcard spot.  How does that help us?

We actually get worse as we will have to pay Hoglander and Podkolzin in the very near future as they come off their ELCs.  We don’t have anyone in the pipeline of their calibre to replace those efficiencies.  That is what happens when you give away a bunch of picks to help a team (and try to save your job) that isn’t even playoff calibre.

The only real way to be a contending team is to bite the bullet and sell off a couple assets to get younger as well as restocking the pipeline.  We need cheap players continually coming in as ELC guys start getting paid.

The guy said 21-13-7.  That's 41 games, exactly half a season and 49 points.  49 x 2 = 98.

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

The guy said 21-13-7.  That's 41 games, exactly half a season and 49 points.  49 x 2 = 98.

It's still middling. 

I've been fine with us aiming for "bubble playoff" team the last couple years as we were coming out of a rebuild. But now's the time for some serious decisions that will dictate the path of this team for the next 5+ years, as the young core enters it's prime. It's time to get serious.

IMO doubling down on clinging to said mediocre roster, with more cap spent on it, and probably young assets burned to clear some of said cap, and a reduction in organizational depth in both ends doing so... Is not the way to go.

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It's still middling. 

I've been fine with us aiming for "bubble playoff" team the last couple years as we were coming out of a rebuild. But now's the time for some serious decisions that will dictate the path of this team for the next 5+ years, as the young core enters it's prime. It's time to get serious.

IMO doubling down on clinging to said mediocre roster, with more cap spent on it, and probably young assets burned to clear some of said cap, and a reduction in organizational depth in both ends doing so... Is not the way to go.

So what do you want to do exactly?

The problem to me was always Benning's free agent signings.  He drafted a playoff core...traded some 1st rounders for quality players.  But he kept filling up the cap with junk and then had to either sit and wait for years for it to clear up or else trade away the future to get out from under his own signings.  If JR and Allvin draft all right and just don't make idiot free agent signings...looks reasonable to me going forward.  There are obviously decisions to make with Brock and JT.

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

The problem to me was always Benning's free agent signings.  He drafted a playoff core...traded some 1st rounders for quality players.  But he kept filling up the cap with junk and then had to either sit and wait for years for it to clear up or else trade away the future to get out from under his own signings.  If JR and Allvin draft all right and just don't make idiot free agent signings...looks reasonable to me going forward.  There are obviously decisions to make with Brock and JT.

Well if the younger, faster, less cap mantra really is a thing...

Step one, I don't sign the 30 year old to a bloated retirement contract, years before our contention window. Discounted extension, or I move him for younger, faster, lower cap pieces.

I also look at moving one of Boeser/Garland for other pieces (preferably a young RHD like Marino)

They already did another thing I would have had on my list, and moved Hamonic (to my pleasant surprise).

Depending on whether we get a good young RHD back for Miller or not, on top of someone like Marino, I'd entertain moving Myers as well and marvel at our added cap space. Perhaps replacing him with a less expensive (but better defensively) Lyubushkin.

Beyond that, yeah we need to continue to draft well. I'm also hopeful they'll bring some of their Pittsburgh expertise of signing and developing undrafted players to viable NHL players.

If we do manage to clear the cap I'd like us to, I'd look to take advantage of moves like the Toews to COL for a 2nd or Miller for a 1st moves in the next year or two as well, to help push is over the top.

Edit:

And I'd use some of that cap space to sign one or two of Paul/Tierney and Sturm. Maybe bring back Richardson as 12th/13th F.

Edited by aGENT

10 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Since then: at 21-13-7 I get 49 points out of a possible 82 = .598 = 98 points = more than likely the playoffs, his overall record extrapolated to a full season and we’re in every time.

Having said that, the Canucks have been programmed to be a soft team and I’d predict an early exit, we are not a playoff team.

I like BB, would love to see him stay a season or two to help us gain experience but for the love of god, someone needs to build some anger into this team.

Regardless of how this season unfolds, thanks Bruce, in November I had given up on this team, since you got here I actually enjoyed hockey again.

Edited by Wise Guy

8 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Pretty much sums up what happened. Basically Benning drafted a good core w/o any support. Think of the Oilers when they drafted all those 1st rounders but no support around the team.

Though I think Allvin and Rutherford need to realize the only way forward is to identify the players they can build the team around to become a contender and move on from the rest. Obviously due to their age that would likely be Demko, Hughes, Pettersson, and maybe Podz. Miller is turning 30 soon and Horvat is not that far off. 

On Horvat I can't really see him being a Canuck much longer. 8 years of losing, I kind of feel for him and if I were in his shoes, move on from the Canucks and start winning. If he does want to stay here, then I am for that too as long as the extension is team friendly. That I don't mind moving on from Horvat if it means getting something good in return and allowing him to be a team that can win now.

Happy to watch this kid grow and develop as one of the leaders in the team but management and Benning just failed him. I don't want to hear 10 years from now Horvat regretting he never was part of a winning team or had a deep run in the playoffs.

Edited by iinatcc

6 hours ago, Wise Guy said:

Since then: at 21-13-7 I get 49 points out of a possible 82 = .598 = 98 points = more than likely the playoffs, his overall record extrapolated to a full season and we’re in every time.

Having said that, the Canucks have been programmed to be a soft team and I’d predict an early exit, we are not a playoff team.

I like BB, would love to see him stay a season or two to help us gain experience but for the love of god, someone needs to build some anger into this team.

Regardless of how this season unfolds, thanks Bruce, in November I had given up on this team, since you got here I actually enjoyed hockey again.

A coach can't program a team to be angry lol. No matter whos behind the bench Petterson isn't marchard, Hughes isn't Chara, and boeser isn't ovi. 

These guys won't just play angry because of a coach. It didn't work when we brought in torts it won't work if we bring in the next torts.

I don't disagree that we're a soft team and need more nasty if we want to accomplish anything. But how we do that isn't new coaches. It's new players.

• Vintage 1

We will end up missing the playoff coz we are 5-8-1 against new jersey islander Detroit Buffalo Philadelphia Columbus Chicago. That's 17 points against lottery bound teams squandered.. unacceptable if this was suppose to be a playoff team.. I believe we are 3-4-1 against those team after Boudreau took over.. so we still sucked against them.. no one expect u to win all of them.. but at least be over .600... not below .400

On 4/13/2022 at 1:27 PM, Warhippy said:

OK kids here we go.

Vancouver 10th in the west with 8 games left and 82 points:  Arizona, Dallas/Ottawa, Minnesota, Calgary, Seattle, LA/Edmonton.  2 back to backs left

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/schedule/2022-04-01/PT

Vegas 9th in the west with 8 games left 85 points:  Calgary, Edmonton, Jersey, Washington, San Jose, Dallas/Chicago, St Louis.  One back to backs left

https://www.nhl.com/goldenknights/schedule/2022-04-01/PT

Dallas 8th in the west with 9 games left 88 points:  Minnesota, San Jose, Vancouver, Edmonton/Calgary, Seattle, Vegas/Arizona, Anaheim.  2 back to backs left

https://www.nhl.com/stars/schedule/2022-04-01/CT

Nashville 7th in the west with 9 games left 89 points:  Edmonton, Chicago/St Louis, Calgary, Tampa/Minnesota,  Calgary, Colorado/Arizona.  3 back to backs left.

https://www.nhl.com/predators/schedule/2022-04-01/CT

Los Angeles 6th in the west with 7 games left 88 points:  Colorado*, Columbus, Anaheim, Chicago, Anaheim, Seattle/Vancouver:  1 Back to backs left (Avs game 2nd in 2 nights)

https://www.nhl.com/kings/schedule/2022-04-01/PT

This is where everything stands.  LA by far has the easiest schedule.  We absolutely cannot lose or give a single point to Dallas in that game or it's over.  Nashville has a game at hand but also the hardest schedule.  We literally need to go a minimum of 6-1-1 without losing to Dallas; and have Edmonton and Calgary stomp the crap out of Vegas and Dallas for us.  These are the games that matter the most.  It's entirely out of our hands as even going 8-0 is no guarantee.

To be completely honest, a Nashville collapse and Dallas going 3-5 would be the best possible eventuality for us.  But it's not a guarantee.

Make of this what you will

Updated race as of Monday April 18th.

Vancouver 10th in the west with 7 games left and 84 points:  Dallas/Ottawa, Minnesota, Calgary, Seattle/Edmonton.  Vancouver has 2 back to back sets left in 7 games.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/schedule/2022-04-01/PT

Vegas 9th in the west with with 6 games left and 87 points:  New Jersey, Washington, San Jose, Dallas/Chicago, St Louis.  Vegas has 1 back to back set left in 6 games.

https://www.nhl.com/goldenknights/schedule/2022-04-01/PT

Los Angeles 8th in the west with 5 games left and 90 points:  Anaheim, Chicago, Anaheim, Seattle/Vancouver.  Los Angeles has 1 back to back set left in 5 games.

https://www.nhl.com/kings/schedule/2022-04-01/PT

Nashville 7th in the west with 6 games left and 91 points:  Calgary, Tampa/Minnestoa, Calgary, Colorado/Arizona.  Nashville has 2 back to back sets left in 6 games.

https://www.nhl.com/predators/schedule/2022-04-01/CT

Dallas 6th in the west with 7 games left and 91 points:  Vancouver, Edmonton/Calgary, Seattle, Vegas/Arizona, Anaheim.  Dallas has 2 back to back sets left in 7 games.

https://www.nhl.com/stars/schedule/2022-04-01/CT

Vancouver can achieve a maximum of 98 total points.

Right now Vancouvers route still goes through Vegas, LA and Nashville as their best possible chance to win.  Los Angeles is injured; Vegas can't seem to get it together and Nashville is absolutely all over the board.  Outside chance of catching Dallas if they win out and Dallas tanks as well. 

10 hours ago, Wise Guy said:

Your second statement & third line solution underlines one of the most serious problems facing this franchise in the past 20 years that has hampered this team endlessly, dating back to the Nazy, then thru the Sedin's (who "neutered" Bo Horvat) and that is; the deeply engrained style of soft, No-Pushback, Euro style Swedish Finesse play with Pettersson likely carrying that torch into the next generation of this team.    Until that mentality is extinguished, and the Management starts building a team based on size, speed & especially grit - we hold no hope for success and will doomed to be cheering for the odd regular season fancy/pansy finesse goals by Petty, Hogz and  Boeser & Co. type of players as they lead us into yet another season of no post season play like most of the last decade+.

Glad to see you and many more fans are speaking up about this lately, as it has become more than apparent (especially in the stretch) that we are often beat by those types of teams and simply out muscled and outplayed.  I for one am/was sickened watching the Sedins punched square in the face, big Edler cowing down in a fight and Petty being picked up and slammed to the ice, Boeser rammed into an open gate with little to no pushback - just to name a few of the most infamous embarrassments we've all witnessed in recent years. When will this end?

I'm pretty sure that the "Fresh Eyes" of JR, Alvin & The Chipmunk girls have noticed the same thing too and we'll see a correction to this glaring hole in our team and bigger, faster, gritier players added Vs. soft Finesse players and don't be surprised if Bo is moved out too and a fresh leader installed as that would send the message loud & clear that soft, No-Pushback, Euro style Swedish Finesse play in this city IS OVER WITH!  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Your second statement & third line solution underlines one of the most serious problems facing this franchise in the past 20 years that has hampered this team endlessly, dating back to the Nazy, then thru the Sedin's (who "neutered" Bo Horvat) and that is; the deeply engrained style of soft, No-Pushback, Euro style Swedish Finesse play with Pettersson likely carrying that torch into the next generation of this team.    Until that mentality is extinguished, and the Management starts building a team based on size, speed & especially grit - we hold no hope for success and will doomed to be cheering for the odd regular season fancy/pansy finesse goals by Petty, Hogz and  Boeser & Co. type of players as they lead us into yet another season of no post season play like most of the last decade+.

Glad to see you and many more fans are speaking up about this lately, as it has become more than apparent (especially in the stretch) that we are often beat by those types of teams and simply out muscled and outplayed.  I for one am/was sickened watching the Sedins punched square in the face, big Edler cowing down in a fight and Petty being picked up and slammed to the ice, Boeser rammed into an open gate with little to no pushback - just to name a few of the most infamous embarrassments we've all witnessed in recent years. When will this end?

I'm pretty sure that the "Fresh Eyes" of JR, Alvin & The Chipmunk girls have noticed the same thing too and we'll see a correction to this glaring hole in our team and bigger, faster, gritier players added Vs. soft Finesse players and don't be surprised if Bo is moved out too and a fresh leader installed as that would send the message loud & clear that soft, No-Pushback, Euro style Swedish Finesse play in this city IS OVER WITH!  

Been watching a lot of Avs’ games recently.  McKinnon and Landescog fight for their teammates.  They play with bite.  Even Makar knocked out Stall last game with a huge hit.  He knows if he’s challenged a teammate will step in.  

We definitely lack that level of “all for one, and one for all” connection.  I see a very young guy like Pods who is naturally a stand up for his teammates guy.  OEL does it.  But who else?  Who, other than those two, on our club will the other guys know has their back?  

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Been watching a lot of Avs’ games recently.  McKinnon and Landescog fight for their teammates.  They play with bite.  Even Makar knocked out Stall last game with a huge hit.  He knows if he’s challenged a teammate will step in.  

We definitely lack that level of “all for one, and one for all” connection.  I see a very young guy like Pods who is naturally a stand up for his teammates guy.  OEL does it.  But who else?  Who, other than those two, on our club will the other guys know has their back?  

I think anyone watching games other than the Canucks will quickly realize that our team is seriously lacking in these areas and is what is separating our team from leaders in the pack.   Just wait another two weeks and watch other teams in the playoffs and try convincing anyone that our team is ready for a serious playoff run.  I think you'll have trouble finding one "sane" person willing to admit we're even close to being a playoff contender.  It's simply the reality of things - not a condemnation and something that MUST be addressed.  Plain simple - facts are facts!

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

A coach can't program a team to be angry lol. No matter whos behind the bench Petterson isn't marchard, Hughes isn't Chara, and boeser isn't ovi. 

These guys won't just play angry because of a coach. It didn't work when we brought in torts it won't work if we bring in the next torts.

I don't disagree that we're a soft team and need more nasty if we want to accomplish anything. But how we do that isn't new coaches. It's new players.

I would say both Pete and Hughes have some un tapped snarl. Hughes skated 200feet to break his stick on a guy thats something. Pete came all the way across the ice to lay a predatory hit on Brock Boeser who you're right doesn't have a mean bone in his body. 

I think you're right though we need someone to drag these kids into a dog fight. But more importantly someone who can get them on the PP in the process. If we are going the re tool route. I'd be going after Sam Carrick and Brendan Lemieux this offseason guys who stir the pot and raise the temp in the barn. I'd trade or let Brock walk and try to sign Nichushkin around 6m.

I think Karlsson is going to sign and not only that but be the right shot 2 way utility 3c we need him to be.  

Miller Pete Pod

Nich Bo Garland

Hog Karlsson Pearson

Lemieux Carrick Lockwood/Lammi

I think we need to draft either Ryan Chesley/Lian Bichsel or both.  

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

I would say both Pete and Hughes have some un tapped snarl. Hughes skated 200feet to break his stick on a guy thats something. Pete came all the way across the ice to lay a predatory hit on Brock Boeser who you're right doesn't have a mean bone in his body. 

I think you're right though we need someone to drag these kids into a dog fight. But more importantly someone who can get them on the PP in the process. If we are going the re tool route. I'd be going after Sam Carrick and Brendan Lemieux this offseason guys who stir the pot and raise the temp in the barn. I'd trade or let Brock walk and try to sign Nichushkin around 6m.

I think Karlsson is going to sign and not only that but be the right shot 2 way utility 3c we need him to be.  

Miller Pete Pod

Nich Bo Garland

Hog Karlsson Pearson

Lemieux Carrick Lockwood/Lammi

I think we need to draft either Ryan Chesley/Lian Bichsel or both.  

Neither of those guys can act up without someone protecting them.

We don’t have that right now.  A couple players on the ice to let our guys play a little bigger would likely make a big difference.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Provost said:

Neither of those guys can act up without someone protecting them.

We don’t have that right now.  A couple players on the ice to let our guys play a little bigger would likely make a big difference.

Their plenty tough in the "New NHL" we don't need a pure goon. What we need is team toughness JB had the right idea with Rooster and Ferland unfortunately they were past their best before. We need guys who get us on the PP and raise the temp in the arena. 

When you look up and down the lineup you see players who aren't pushovers what we need are guys who turn games into battles and killer special teams. What I consider "Traditional Canucks Hockey".