The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canada's Men National Football Team (Soccer)

DefCon1

Some slightly disappointing news out of Germany.....

Bayern Munich coach Julian Nagelsmann says that Alphonso Davies will be held out for another 2 to 4 weeks. This means if highly likely that Phonsie will not be available for the final round of CONCACAF qualifying....<_<

I suppose one school of thought would be that there's no point in risking your best player when qualification is all but assured, but the focus really needs to be on improving the squad's world ranking. Really hoping to be somewhere in the 20s when April rolls around.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Some slightly disappointing news out of Germany.....

Bayern Munich coach Julian Nagelsmann says that Alphonso Davies will be held out for another 2 to 4 weeks. This means if highly likely that Phonsie will not be available for the final round of CONCACAF qualifying....<_<

I suppose one school of thought would be that there's no point in risking your best player when qualification is all but assured, but the focus really needs to be on improving the squad's world ranking. Really hoping to be somewhere in the 20s when April rolls around.

Is there a really clear metric for how teams are ranked? For example, would FIFA view beating Costa Rica without Davies as an added degree of difficulty that would boost Canada's rank?

On 3/13/2022 at 8:27 AM, Down by the River said:

Is there a really clear metric for how teams are ranked? For example, would FIFA view beating Costa Rica without Davies as an added degree of difficulty that would boost Canada's rank?

This is FIFA....who knows what the criteria are....

Like I said earlier, 4 out of 6 points against both Mexico and the US (ranked 12th and 13th) didn't put us any better than 33rd. All three of Costa Rica, Jamaica and Panama are now ranked well behind Canada. We will be expected to win, even away, even without Phonsie.

I think TC's best chance to move up will be to remain unbeaten and win at least one but preferably two, of those matches.

Edited by RUPERTKBD

An explanation of the FIFA rankings.  

https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/procedure-men

After a long period testing and analysing the best way to calculate the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking, a new model took effect in August 2018 after approval by the FIFA Council.

This new version developed by FIFA was named "SUM" as it relies on adding/subtracting points won or lost for a game to/from the previous point totals rather than averaging game points over a given time period as in the previous version of the World Ranking.

The points which are added or subtracted are partially determined by the relative strength of the two opponents, including the logical expectation that teams higher in the ranking should fare better against teams lower in the ranking.

More details about the formula used in the algorithm, weightings of matches and other characteristics can be found here.

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/f99da4f73212220/original/edbm045h0udbwkqew35a-pdf.pdf

Revision of the FIFA / Coca-Cola World Ranking

Overview

The new model for calculating the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking (FWR) was developed over two years during which time a large number of different algorithms was tested and extensively discussed.

Throughout this review and consultation process, the main aim was to identify an algorithm that is not only intuitive, easy to understand and improves overall accuracy of the formula, but also addresses feedback received about the previous model and provides fair and equal opportunities for all teams across all confederations to ascend the FWR.

About the new formula

The Elo method of calculation adds/subtracts points (as opposed to averaging points) for individual matches to/from a team’s existing point total. The points which are added or subtracted are partially determined by the relative strength of the two opponents, including the logical expectation that teams higher in the ranking should fare better against teams lower in the ranking.
Elo ratings have been used in other sports for decades. A modified version of the Elo rating is currently in use for the FIFA Women's World Ranking. Termed by FIFA as “SUM”, the new algorithm developed specifically for the new FWR was fine-tuned to reflect a number of FIFA’s considerations, including the following:

- Adjusting the game weightings to give:

o less importance to friendly matches and more importance to final round competitions, such as the FIFA World Cup Finals

o more importance to knock-out stage matches than group stage matches in final competitions

- Excluding losses in knock-out rounds of final competitions from the calculation

The formula for the SUM algorithm is as follows:

P = Pbefore + I * (W – We)

Pbefore: Points before the match

I: importance of match
 I= 05 Friendly matches played outside of International Match Calendar windows
 I= 10 Friendly matches played during International Match Calendar windows
 I= 15 Group phase matches of Nations League competitions
 I= 25 Play-off and final matches of Nations League competitions
 I= 25 Qualification matches for Confederations final competitions and for FIFA World Cup final competitions
 I= 35 Confederation final competition matches up until the QF stage
 I= 40 Confederation final competition matches from the QF stage onwards; all FIFA Confederations Cup matches
 I= 50 FIFA World Cup final competition matches up until QF stage
 I= 60 FIFA World Cup final competition matches from QF stage onwards 

W: result of the match

 1 = win; 0.5 = draw; 0 = defeat We: expected result of the match

We = 1 / (10(-dr/600) + 1)

With dr=difference in ratings of the two playing teams, i.e. dr = [Pbefore of Team A – Pbefore of Team B]

Example: Team A has 1300 points before the match and wins a continental qualifier against team B that has 1500 points.

For team A the formula is: P=1300+25*(1–(1/(10 exp (-(1300–1500)/600) +1)))

For team B the formula is: P = 1500 + 25 * (0- (1 / (10 exp (-(1500-1300)/600) + 1)))

Thus, team A wins 17 points and has P = 1317 points after the match. Team B loses the same amount of points and thus ends up with 1483 points after the match.

Additional conditions

A few additional conditions included within the new SUM formula to address specific issues in international football include:

 Penalty shoot-out (PSO): Matches decided in a PSO are treated as a draw for the losing team and as "half a win" for the winning team: W for the winning team is 0.75 instead of 1.0 for a win after regular or extended time.

If PSO, then W for losing team= 0.5 W for winning team= 0.75

Note: In some instances, games end with a winner after regular or extended time, but still include a PSO to determine the team that eventually will get to the next round. These games are treated as normal wins and defeats.

 Knock-out rounds of final competitions: Teams that earn negative points in the knock-out round of a final competition (e.g. as a result of losing, or even winning after PSO against a weaker team) do not lose any points:

If (W – We) < 0 then P = Pbefore

This condition was introduced in order to protect the point totals of teams that have progressed to the knock-out round.

With respect to the introduction of SUM, it was important to transition smoothly from the previous FWR to the new one. For the initial seeding of teams in the new FWR, teams were evenly distributed over a range of approximately 800 to 1600 points1 . The point difference between two adjacent teams was set at 4 points.

1 Upper value corresponds to approximate points total of best ranked team in previous FWR in June 2018 (e.g. Germany = 1558 points)

A two-step procedure guided the conversion:

1) The previous ranking table was converted into a new table without displacement in the order of the teams; i.e. each team retained its relative rank position. In instances where teams shared the identical rank (R), the teams which followed were given the next immediate rank possible.

Example: If there were two teams in position no. 11, they both got R = 11, and the following team got R = 12 (instead of R =13).

2) The points for seeding were calculated:

Pseeding= 1600 - (R – 1) * 4

Examples:

Pseeding for team with R= 1 is 1600

Pseeding for team with R = 3 is 1592

Pseeding for team with R = 100 is 1204

Pseeding for team with R = 200 is 804

Benefits of the new formula

1. One of the main advantages of SUM is that it allowed for a smooth transition from the previous ranking formula to the new one. All teams started SUM in rank order of the old FWR. Once the conversion was done, the results of the 2018 FIFA World Cup RussiaTM were then calculated.

2. Annual average point calculation – which was part of the previous world ranking formula – is not factored in the SUM equation. Consequently the issues which arose in conjunction with the previous calculation method will be mitigated, or disappear entirely, including the devaluation of points through time, daily point fluctuations, and the ability of teams to influence ranking position by avoiding friendly matches.

3. The Confederation weighting variables of the previous formula, which made rising in the standings more challenging for teams from Confederations other than Europe or South America, has been be removed. Teams will now have an equal chance to improve in the standings irrespective of their regional affiliation.

4. New categories of matches and match weightings have been introduced to effectively distinguish the least from the most important types of matches. To begin, friendly matches are given a lower weighting relative to competitive matches. Further, friendlies are now also distinguished between those played during International Match Calendar windows (value = 10) versus those played outside the official calendar dates (value = 5).

Competitive matches in championship tournaments are now distinguished between group stage matches and late-stage knock-out matches in order to reward the most successful teams in the most difficult competitions. Furthermore, to mitigate the negative consequences of losing matches in championship tournaments, losses in the knock-out rounds of final competitions will not result in point deductions for the losing team.

5. The ranking of host nations who do not play competitive qualification matches in the period before championship competitions will not be as severely or negatively impacted with the SUM formula as with the previous one. Thanks to the sum-of-points calculation method, successful results in friendly matches will result in point gains more substantive than the existing formula currently allows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

After a long period testing and analysing the best way to calculate the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking, a new model took effect in August 2018 after approval by the FIFA Council.

This new version developed by FIFA was named "SUM" as it relies on adding/subtracting points won or lost for a game to/from the previous point totals rather than averaging game points over a given time period as in the previous version of the World Ranking.

The points which are added or subtracted are partially determined by the relative strength of the two opponents, including the logical expectation that teams higher in the ranking should fare better against teams lower in the ranking.

More details about the formula used in the algorithm, weightings of matches and other characteristics can be found here.

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/f99da4f73212220/original/edbm045h0udbwkqew35a-pdf.pdf

Overview

The new model for calculating the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking (FWR) was developed over two years during which time a large number of different algorithms was tested and extensively discussed.

Throughout this review and consultation process, the main aim was to identify an algorithm that is not only intuitive, easy to understand and improves overall accuracy of the formula, but also addresses feedback received about the previous model and provides fair and equal opportunities for all teams across all confederations to ascend the FWR.

About the new formula

The Elo method of calculation adds/subtracts points (as opposed to averaging points) for individual matches to/from a team’s existing point total. The points which are added or subtracted are partially determined by the relative strength of the two opponents, including the logical expectation that teams higher in the ranking should fare better against teams lower in the ranking.
Elo ratings have been used in other sports for decades. A modified version of the Elo rating is currently in use for the FIFA Women's World Ranking. Termed by FIFA as “SUM”, the new algorithm developed specifically for the new FWR was fine-tuned to reflect a number of FIFA’s considerations, including the following:

o less importance to friendly matches and more importance to final round competitions, such as the FIFA World Cup Finals

o more importance to knock-out stage matches than group stage matches in final competitions

- Excluding losses in knock-out rounds of final competitions from the calculation

 I= 25 Qualification matches for Confederations final competitions and for FIFA World Cup final competitions
 I= 40 Confederation final competition matches from the QF stage onwards; all FIFA Confederations Cup matches

With dr=difference in ratings of the two playing teams, i.e. dr = [Pbefore of Team A – Pbefore of Team B]

Example: Team A has 1300 points before the match and wins a continental qualifier against team B that has 1500 points.

For team B the formula is: P = 1500 + 25 * (0- (1 / (10 exp (-(1500-1300)/600) + 1)))

Thus, team A wins 17 points and has P = 1317 points after the match. Team B loses the same amount of points and thus ends up with 1483 points after the match.

Additional conditions

A few additional conditions included within the new SUM formula to address specific issues in international football include:

 Penalty shoot-out (PSO): Matches decided in a PSO are treated as a draw for the losing team and as "half a win" for the winning team: W for the winning team is 0.75 instead of 1.0 for a win after regular or extended time.

Note: In some instances, games end with a winner after regular or extended time, but still include a PSO to determine the team that eventually will get to the next round. These games are treated as normal wins and defeats.

 Knock-out rounds of final competitions: Teams that earn negative points in the knock-out round of a final competition (e.g. as a result of losing, or even winning after PSO against a weaker team) do not lose any points:

This condition was introduced in order to protect the point totals of teams that have progressed to the knock-out round.

With respect to the introduction of SUM, it was important to transition smoothly from the previous FWR to the new one. For the initial seeding of teams in the new FWR, teams were evenly distributed over a range of approximately 800 to 1600 points1 . The point difference between two adjacent teams was set at 4 points.

1 Upper value corresponds to approximate points total of best ranked team in previous FWR in June 2018 (e.g. Germany = 1558 points)

1) The previous ranking table was converted into a new table without displacement in the order of the teams; i.e. each team retained its relative rank position. In instances where teams shared the identical rank (R), the teams which followed were given the next immediate rank possible.

Example: If there were two teams in position no. 11, they both got R = 11, and the following team got R = 12 (instead of R =13).

Examples:

1. One of the main advantages of SUM is that it allowed for a smooth transition from the previous ranking formula to the new one. All teams started SUM in rank order of the old FWR. Once the conversion was done, the results of the 2018 FIFA World Cup RussiaTM were then calculated.

2. Annual average point calculation – which was part of the previous world ranking formula – is not factored in the SUM equation. Consequently the issues which arose in conjunction with the previous calculation method will be mitigated, or disappear entirely, including the devaluation of points through time, daily point fluctuations, and the ability of teams to influence ranking position by avoiding friendly matches.

3. The Confederation weighting variables of the previous formula, which made rising in the standings more challenging for teams from Confederations other than Europe or South America, has been be removed. Teams will now have an equal chance to improve in the standings irrespective of their regional affiliation.

4. New categories of matches and match weightings have been introduced to effectively distinguish the least from the most important types of matches. To begin, friendly matches are given a lower weighting relative to competitive matches. Further, friendlies are now also distinguished between those played during International Match Calendar windows (value = 10) versus those played outside the official calendar dates (value = 5).

Competitive matches in championship tournaments are now distinguished between group stage matches and late-stage knock-out matches in order to reward the most successful teams in the most difficult competitions. Furthermore, to mitigate the negative consequences of losing matches in championship tournaments, losses in the knock-out rounds of final competitions will not result in point deductions for the losing team.

5. The ranking of host nations who do not play competitive qualification matches in the period before championship competitions will not be as severely or negatively impacted with the SUM formula as with the previous one. Thanks to the sum-of-points calculation method, successful results in friendly matches will result in point gains more substantive than the existing formula currently allows.

Well, that clears that up.   

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Overview

About the new formula

Additional conditions

Examples:

Let me be the first to, petition the mods to bring back the Wat emoji!

• Like 1

Back training, but timeline looks like a return for Champions League in April.  Not likely for Canada's final round of qualifiers.  Sad he doesn't get to play in those qualifiers, but getting healthy and being able to play in the World Cup is more important.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/alphonso-davies-resumes-training-but-timeline-for-return-remains-uncertain/

Alphonso Davies resumes training, but timeline for return remains uncertain

• Like 2

A couple more hours to go before Canada has an opportunity to seal its fate. Regardless of any other outcomes, if Canada wins or if Panama loses, Canada qualifies for the World Cup. If both Canada and Panama draw, Canada is almost guaranteed to qualify (due to goal differential). 

Ideally, US and Mexico play to a draw and Canada wins. If this scenario plays out, Canada is all but guaranteed first place in the group (there could conceivably be a 3-way tie for first, but Canada would likely remain ahead on goal differential. 

Just to add to the excitement (and I posted this is the European Football thread) Italy has lost to North Macedonia and will not be going to the World Cup.

Aside from my happiness about seeing the Azzurri miss, this means Canada has better potential for a higher seeding and a better chance at pot C.....:towel:

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Just to add to the excitement (and I posted this is the European Football thread) Italy has lost to North Macedonia and will not be going to the World Cup.

Aside from my happiness about seeing the Azzurri miss, this means Canada has better potential for a higher seeding and a better chance at pot C.....:towel:

Italy lost to Macadamia?  That's nuts!  

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Now imagine if Portugal loses to NM too!

Italy keeps missing the world cup lol. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Down by the River said:

A couple more hours to go before Canada has an opportunity to seal its fate. Regardless of any other outcomes, if Canada wins or if Panama loses, Canada qualifies for the World Cup. If both Canada and Panama draw, Canada is almost guaranteed to qualify (due to goal differential). 

Ideally, US and Mexico play to a draw and Canada wins. If this scenario plays out, Canada is all but guaranteed first place in the group (there could conceivably be a 3-way tie for first, but Canada would likely remain ahead on goal differential. 

Does winning the group have any impact on the ranking beyond what the individual games will have for the remainder?

15 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Does winning the group have any impact on the ranking beyond what the individual games will have for the remainder?

Destroyer posted a clear as mud breakdown of how the rankings are decided. Bottom line is finishing ahead of #12 & #13 Mexico and US has to count for something....