The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Colorado Avalanche at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 17, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It's funny, there's been hype of the Seattle vs Vancouver rivalry since they were announced, and now we're neck in neck with them for the bottom of the division 

Seattle sucks because their goaltending is REALLY bad.

If there's one thing you can point at the Canucks & say it never sucks, it's the goaltending.

2 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Edler, Tanev, Schmidt all left us and have gone on to significantly outperform their recent Vancouver stints. 

Our defense is acceptable on paper, playing a horrible system. 

But it's not even our defense that's burrying us though.  

The two forwards playing on the PK are just brutal.  Like JT Miller today, first PK he gives his wrong sided stick to Myers and now you have two guys without sticks.  Then on the last PK he loses his stick once again and is just doing nothing out there.  

Lammikko and Dickinson are just passable on the PK.  

I have zero issues with our defense, it's our forwards that are just not playing together within the team.  I can't count how many times Bo Horvat skated well ahead of the play and blew the zone in the last few games.  Then tonight he was very stationary except for a few minutes in the second period.  

Motte was the only forward besides Chiasson hitting anyone.  Our defense was pretty physical, but nothing from our forwards.  

I'm honestly ready to trade away some important forwards and shake up the team chemistry.  How sad is it that the best players tonight were all newcomers: OEL, Garland and Poolman. 

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Sad that management hasn’t even done one thing to try and improve the pk personnel wise.

You’re telling me it’s not worth trying to call up Di Giuseppe or Lockwood at this point? Making a claim from the waiver wire? Nothing to mix things up?

They've added Motte and Miller has increased his role.  Did Dickinson play on the PK - the game notes shows he didn't.

Edited by mll

14 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

To be fair, literally *EVERY* head coach have their "pets" as well as other players that seem to always be  in the doghouse.  Problem is, when the team isn't winning, people start paying alot more attention to this uneven treatment.

It's true, I'm just frustrated

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Sad that management hasn’t even done one thing to try and improve the pk personnel wise.

You’re telling me it’s not worth trying to call up Di Giuseppe or Lockwood at this point? Making a claim from the waiver wire? Nothing to mix things up?

Why is Chiasson still on the team?  Not only can he not score on the PP, he is now taking stupid penalties as well.  And he's completely useless 5v5.

We would have won this game if we had even a competent PK.  There is no way our PK should be this bad.  Even Maggie the Monkey could do a better job.  It's the coaches fault our PK sucks.  Podkolzin would be a great penalty killer.  You put him and Dickinson together.  Then you go out and get a Sutter replacement to partner with Motte.  It's not Benning's fault that Sutter is out but he needs to replace him with somebody now.  Lammikko isn't the answer.

This is one of the few teams whereby we actually have strong players in the top 6 but a very weak bottom 6, especially the 4th line.  We probably have the worst 4th line in the league right now.  

And we need a left hand Dman for the PK as well.  That is also killing us.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Thanks 1

When you hear/read Dan Murphy tweeting real talk, and to a point Shorty remarking on things like “Green’s mantra is to ignore the noise - at least that’s what he’s saying to the media”, you just feel that the apathy is even getting to the team’s own off ice Nux personnel. No one talks about the players specifically, and maybe I’m reaching, but I hear intonations of real frustration with Green and co from folks that normally don’t reveal that kind of perspective 

5 minutes ago, mll said:

They've added Motte and Miller has increased his role.  Did Dickinson play on the PK - the game notes shows he didn't.

I'd rather not have Miller on the PK unless he is on the 3rd unit with BO.  Dickinson and Podkozin would make a great 2nd unit.  Benning needs to find a 3C or 4C right hand shot that can play with Motte on the first unit PK.  And we need a left hand Dman as well who can play on the 1st unit PK.  OEL or a right hand Dman should not be on the left side on the PK.

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

But it's not even our defense that's burrying us though.  

The two forwards playing on the PK are just brutal.  Like JT Miller today, first PK he gives his wrong sided stick to Myers and now you have two guys without sticks.  Then on the last PK he loses his stick once again and is just doing nothing out there.  

Lammikko and Dickinson are just passable on the PK.  

I have zero issues with our defense, it's our forwards that are just not playing together within the team.  I can't count how many times Bo Horvat skated well ahead of the play and blew the zone in the last few games.  Then tonight he was very stationary except for a few minutes in the second period.  

Motte was the only forward besides Chiasson hitting anyone.  Our defense was pretty physical, but nothing from our forwards.  

I'm honestly ready to trade away some important forwards and shake up the team chemistry.  How sad is it that the best players tonight were all newcomers: OEL, Garland and Poolman. 

Yeah I agree with you. I think Millers errors are forgiveable because he's being asked to do literally everything right now - win faceoffs because Petey and Dickinson cant, score goals because Petey and Boeser cant, play on the PK because we lost Beagle.. I think his mistakes are the byproduct of asking a player to stand on his head. 

The forward I'm most concerned about is Petey - he cant keep his balance, hasnt got any faster, and looks like his skills havent improved at all. 7.5m for what hes contributing is pretty scary. 

I remember when the Canucks had Manny Malhotra training our centers on taking face-offs.. I'm not sure why that kind of thing doesnt happen anymore. Itd be nice to see that happen in all the areas we're deficient in (which happens to be faceoffs again lol)

9 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Seattle sucks because their goaltending is REALLY bad.

If there's one thing you can point at the Canucks & say it never sucks, it's the goaltending.

Seattle looks better than we do most nights, despite their giving up so many goals 

Their offense should be worse, but they're 19th in goals scored while we're somehow 27th

If they can fix their goals against they probably finish ahead of us 

15 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Blackhawks before firing their coach:

1-9-2.

Blackhawks after firing their coach:

4-0-0.

There is no guarantee the team turns around immediately.

It takes time for a new coach to teach a system and coming in mid-season when there is very little time to focus on practicing new systems, the chances to make real changes are low.

Look at Calgary... when Sutter came in mid-season, they didn't improve much.  But given a chance to have a training camp and practice time, now Sutter has a new system in place.