The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

28 minutes ago, Frozen Water Walker said:

My buddy came in the store (he's in the news media) he says the offer on Miller is NYR  Lafreniere &1st this year and 2nd next year.

Rumor mill says it's Lafreniere for Bo https://www.nhltraderumor.com/are-the-vancouver-canucks-interested-in-a-alexis-lafreniere-trade/

GCG

I say no to Bo. But Miller, yes. 

Still kind of lacking for me. Laff, 1st, and 2nd in 2023? We need a RHD. Either Schneider or Lundqvist has to be a part of that package. 

The fact that the rumors are that they’re wiling to put in Laff, to me, signals that they’ve given up on him. 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

I get it. But when is he going to be getting top six minutes? Has he not earned them yet? 

He's only 20. Remember Petterson also played a year of pro before coming to the NHL. Most players develop at different rates. Lafreniere probably could have used a year in the AHL. He's playing on the first line right now according to:

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/new-york-rangers/line-combinations/

However, Kakko, Chytil, and Blais are out right now. Add Kreider, Panarin, and Goodrow on the wings. That's super deep! Surely you can appreciate how his role is limited at times. Of course his progression is lesser at this stage than Petterson.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

He's only 20. Remember Petterson also played a year of pro before coming to the NHL. Most players develop at different rates. Lafreniere probably could have used a year in the AHL. He's playing on the first line right now according to:

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/new-york-rangers/line-combinations/

However, Kakko, Chytil, and Blais are out right now. Add Kreider, Panarin, and Goodrow on the wings. That's super deep! Surely you can appreciate how his role is limited at times. Of course his progression is lesser at this stage than Petterson.

Yeah. i understand that he’s young still. I guess for me, when you’re drafted 1OA, you better be heads and shoulders above your draft class. Is he? 

Is Kakko as well? 

If JR can pry Laff/Kakko out of NY, to be a part of a deal for Miller, then we’ve struck gold. 

But I don’t think a deal for Miller is going to happen anytime soon. I think it’ll probably take the entire month of February to even hammer out a deal, if a deal is actually going to happen. Lots of talk and rumors between Van and NY about a possible rumored deal for Miller. Where there is smoke there is fire? Haven’t heard anything from any other teams being interested for Miller. 

29 minutes ago, rekker said:

One thing I see looking at Kappo and AL, both should of played a year in the minors. Drives me nuts when teams rush kids into the NHL. 

Yeah, you’re probably right in that they should’ve spent some time in the minors for one year. It would’ve done wonders to their development. As it stands, did they get the Virtanen treatment where they were rushed onto the team? And now those guys aren’t as confident as they could be had they spent a year in the minors playing huge minutes, and playing in all circumstances? 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Lysell's got 32 points in 25 games with the Giants. He was ranked Top 10 in many draft lists, but went later (probably because of his size). He's still a kid, though, and could develop into a Top 6 player, once he fills out. 

Carlo is a 6'6" 217 R-shot Dman and he's only 25.  

With this trade the Canucks would get younger and faster, something JR has said they want to do. I guess BOS could add a 2nd? (which the Canucks don't have this year)

I would say that their “disgruntled” forwards in Debrusk and Senyshyn would be on the table instead of Lysell.

We ideally want more NHL ready prospects and players than pure futures.  

We could send a guy like Pearson who has won before the other way as well or Motte depending on the exact package.  Or they get one of Hamonic or Poolman to fill in the empty D spot on the roster.

6 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. i understand that he’s young still. I guess for me, when you’re drafted 1OA, you better be heads and shoulders above your draft class. Is he? 

Is Kakko as well? 

If JR can pry Laff/Kakko out of NY, to be a part of a deal for Miller, then we’ve struck gold. 

But I don’t think a deal for Miller is going to happen anytime soon. I think it’ll probably take the entire month of February to even hammer out a deal, if a deal is actually going to happen. Lots of talk and rumors between Van and NY about a possible rumored deal for Miller. Where there is smoke there is fire? Haven’t heard anything from any other teams being interested for Miller. 

To me it doesn't matter if you're heads and tails above your draft class. For you they might have to putting up 80 points out of the gates but I would have no problem if he only does that once traded to Vancouver. The thing is if he's putting up 40-50 points right now we're not getting him for Miller. It's the concept of buying low on an unproven but prestigious prospect. To me it's not a big risk at all as I think he'll easily be a perennial 50-60 point guy, probably more.

Kakko was also a second but again you have to look at the big picture.

57 minutes ago, Frozen Water Walker said:

My buddy came in the store (he's in the news media) he says the offer on Miller is NYR  Lafreniere &1st this year and 2nd next year.

Rumor mill says it's Lafreniere for Bo https://www.nhltraderumor.com/are-the-vancouver-canucks-interested-in-a-alexis-lafreniere-trade/

GCG

Perfect move for us.

• Vintage 1

Miller’s value went from “how do you trade a 1st for that third liner” to “He’s the greatest player to ever live”.  

Obviously his value is somewhere in the middle and he's having another great year.  To me this still comes down to timing and upcoming contract.  This is the premium opportunity to cash in and collect some premium assets greater than what we originally paid.  If the return is something around AL + or Kakko ++ you take it and run and don’t wait until the deadline.  Too many things can happen in that time.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, coryberg said:

He is signed for another season at 850k. I don't get the people that would like to see him dealt. He is big, tough, has great character, wants to be here and best of all he is cheap...the perfect #6-7 Dman.

Most predictions would put his value at a 4th round pick, when was the last time a 4th round pick panned out for us? I'd rather keep him for 120 games than gamble on getting 120 games out of a 4th round pick.

Agreed, Schenn is a perfect 6/7 guy that you just keep signing until the wheels fall off.  No reason to trade him.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Perfect move for us.

Really so a 26th OA pick (Rangers are 6th place right now), an underachieving rookie and a 2nd that probably near 60th overall the following year? Also, Rangers get way better and probably end up much higher in the standings so your picks are garbage.

Miller is our top scorer, the MVP of our team, playing solid on the PP and PK, a good hitter, leader on AND off the ice, low cap hit and locked up for another year, etc, etc…

Miller gets traded and we miss the playoffs next couple years. AGAIN. 

We lose that trade. 

No thanks.

Edited by grandmaster
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, coryberg said:

He is signed for another season at 850k. I don't get the people that would like to see him dealt. He is big, tough, has great character, wants to be here and best of all he is cheap...the perfect #6-7 Dman.

Most predictions would put his value at a 4th round pick, when was the last time a 4th round pick panned out for us? I'd rather keep him for 120 games than gamble on getting 120 games out of a 4th round pick.

No need to move him at all, I agree. 

Unless it's for a meaningful return, it's not likely worth it.