The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

rangers can't afford to take miller + garland.. that would literally put them right up against the cap for next year with only 16 ppl signed and that's without strome or kakko signed.. that would guranteed strome walks + not enough to sign kakko and nothing to sign the rest of the roster even at minimal.. only way it would work is if we retained 50% on miller and garland.. which i doubt we would even considered retaining on garland.

i rather give them miller with retention + motte + schenn and or some pick/prospect and try to re-sign motte in the summer. it would give them a nasty top 9 for the playoff run and shore up their bottom 2 defense.

if it’s Miller with retention, then there’s no way that Schneider isn’t in that package coming back this way. 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

if it’s Miller with retention, then there’s no way that Schneider isn’t in that package coming back this way. 

of coz if we are retaining anything i would want schneider as a starting point and work something out with motte schenn and or picks on either side to balance out if we can get laffy or subtract if we cant get laffy etc.. the other guy was saying the best we can do is schneider a middle 6 prospect and a 2nd and if we don't take it they can use that package for pavelski or giroux and there's no way we can get a 1st instead of the 2nd? ok so miller with 1+ year left on his contract being 6-9 years younger than the other 2 is not worth an upgrade from the 2nd to the 1st on a contender whos pick is going to be in the late 20s? obviously we want to shoot for the moon if we are moving miller.. and rangers best chance at a cup honestly is the next couple years before all the rfa elc expires where they won't have any cap left for depth.. with fox zib extension kicking in kakko laf miller all needing a bridge or a long term.. honestly they won't get a better chance at stacking their roster more than ever this year. it could all come back to bust on them.. but they will have another run at it next year with miller.. low risk high reward... it's not like they would be able to keep all their players anyways in couple years.. so might as well use it to their advantage

I think you could see a bidding war by some of the Eastern teams - Miller is the type of player that could put any of them over the top in the Playoffs. Especially a team that doesn't have the firepower of the Panthers - I still think like many other posters Rangers are the best fit. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, MikeBossy said:

I think you could see a bidding war by some of the Eastern teams - Miller is the type of player that could put any of them over the top in the Playoffs. Especially a team that doesn't have the firepower of the Panthers - I still think like many other posters Rangers are the best fit. 

I would try to get a deal done with a Western Conference team actually. The West only really has Vegas and Colorado as a powerhouse team. So all other teams are beatable so if The Wild or The Flames can get Miller in hopes to get past Vegas and / or Colorado they might overpay 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

What's his upside though? I don't know much about him but I'm a bit worried he would just be another Griffin Reinhart

• Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

My gut tells me Miller will be moved. That said, as you suggested, it might not be at the TDL. The return at TDL is often better than at the draft or off season. Playoff teams are more likely to sacrifice young talent or picks in exchange for a vet that might help win a Cup. Miller is that quality of a player that should bring back a big return. His attributes have been much stated and should not be discounted. 

Why move Miller? He is one player who should bring back 3 future pieces that should help the Canucks build a contender. The current roster is not Cup competitive and does not have the breadth of talent that will make them so. Keeping a valuable asset like Miller will not make them Cup competitive. If the ages were reversed and Boeser was 28 would there be any debate?

Yep, spot on.  I also suspect he moves by the deadline.

The reason he moves at the deadline is that there are likely to be at least a couple of really highly motivated teams who really want him for the playoffs.  All we need is one team to agree to the value we need.

The reason we don’t have to panic is that in the offseason there will be a dozen interested (but slightly less motivated) teams.  More potential trade partners means it is not like his trade value tanks if he doesn’t get traded at the deadline.

If we wait until next year’s trade deadline, as a rental he probably gets us back just one good piece instead of 3.  There is also the danger we are a bubble wildcard team which means it is hard to justify moving him out even though the future assets would be better for the team long term.

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I would try to get a deal done with a Western Conference team actually. The West only really has Vegas and Colorado as a powerhouse team. So all other teams are beatable so if The Wild or The Flames can get Miller in hopes to get past Vegas and / or Colorado they might overpay 

Agree with you but we really need a yound RD to come back as part of the package and not sure who in the West can offer us that 

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

As much as I despise the Flames if they get Miller they become that much more of a complete team and could lead top a deep playoff run.

46 minutes ago, Provost said:

The reason he moves at the deadline is that there are likely to be at least a couple of really highly motivated teams who really want him for the playoffs.  All we need is one team to agree to the value we need.

The reason we don’t have to panic is that in the offseason there will be a dozen interested (but slightly less motivated) teams.  More potential trade partners means it is not like his trade value tanks if he doesn’t get traded at the deadline.

If we wait until next year’s trade deadline, as a rental he probably gets us back just one good piece instead of 3.  There is also the danger we are a bubble wildcard team which means it is hard to justify moving him out even though the future assets would be better for the team long term.

I have to agree - the time to move him is now. Lets be realistic - our chances of making the playoffs this year are slim - teams are ahead of us with games in hand. I would rather move some players get younger and give them the rest of the year under Bruce to improve and start fresh next year. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

As much as I despise the Flames if they get Miller they become that much more of a complete team and could lead top a deep playoff run.

Fortunately, the Flames don't have anything the Canucks want in a trade for Miller.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3

11 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, for me getting rid of Motte would be tough pill to swallow. 

Yes. He's a bottom six player. But he's a damn good one to let go. 

12 hours ago, stawns said:

I don't want them to and I don't think they will move motte.  I think they believe they've stumbled on to an effective line in lammy/motte/highmore and motte is the driver on that line.  He's also a strong pk'er

All depends on if he's willing to extend for $1.5-$2m. If he's not...

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

What's his upside though? I don't know much about him but I'm a bit worried he would just be another Griffin Reinhart

There are certainly no guarantees but his upside is a top pair, two way, do-everything D, with size and skating.

The "Seabrook" to Hughes' "Keith".

His floor is probably the 2nd pair version of that.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. We’ll see if the deadline will help push New York’s offer to what is “acceptable” to Canucks management. 

Do you think Miller’s value drops though if we’re dealing him at the draft or during Free Agency? I mean, the pervading conversation is that Miller’s value would be its highest right now, before the Trade Deadline. 

I mean, it’s assuming that Miller wants to remain here. If he doesn’t, then we’re under pressure to deal him before his deal expires. The closer we get to that, the less of an advantage we have. 

Yes of course it does... as the buyer will only get to use him for 1 run...

But JR should still not deal him unless the offer is acceptable.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

All depends on if he's willing to extend for $1.5-$2m. If he's not...

There are certainly no guarantees but his upside is a top pair, two way, do-everything D, with size and skating.

The "Seabrook" to Hughes' "Keith".

His floor is probably the 2nd pair version of that.

I can't believe how long it's taking to properly address the RD. 10+ years now. We need to find a dynamic player there. The Giraffe's, Burroughs, and Schenns are great bottom pairing (even mid pairing) but we need a guy that can communicate hockey wise and make plays with Petterson, Bo, Boeser, Hogs, Pods, etc., and the other defender. We're great at finding depth guys, the problem is having 3 of them in your starting line-up.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Actually never though of it like that... spot on... 

Or he could get an injury and it would all be for nothing...

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

31 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I can't believe how long it's taking to properly address the RD. 10+ years now. We need to find a dynamic player there. At The Giraffe's, Burroughs, and Schenns are great bottom pairing (even mid pairing) but we need a guy that can communicate hockey wise and make plays with Petterson, Bo, Boeser, Hogs, Pods, etc., and the other defender. We're great at finding depth guys, the problem is having 3 of them in your starting line-up.

Seeing the great dmen drafted after OJ hurts. Any of those would help our lineup immensely. The whiffs with OJ and Jake are deep wounds that aren't going to heal easy.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

44 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Actually never though of it like that... spot on... 

Or he could get an injury and it would all be for nothing...

So many ways his value could plummet. He's in an ideal career situation right now. Who knows what the off season or TDL offers. We could add high quality PK'ers to the line-up or even a prolific scorer by next year. Watch Miller's role change to not killing PK's or even less PP time. Watch his stats go down when he's not playing in every situation. Watch him fade in desirability when he's not putting the team on his back every night. That's why I trade him now if the offer is right. I'd say 60% something happens to tank his value if we wait.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

A few picks would have to come over this way. 

Rangers getting two players at really good price points. Now way just Schneider and Garland coming back. So essentially one for one? Miller for Laf, Garland for Schneider?

This is very very unlikely (pretty much impossible) and im just spitballing, I'd consider Miller 50% retained + garland + motte for Laf, Schenider, Kravstov and a 1st. 

Miller for Laf 1 for 1 (I would do that) 

Garland + 50% retained miller for Schenider + 1st 

Motte for Kravstov. 

Actually now that I break it down a bit more, yea this is impossible lol. Favors us too much oof. We'd prob need to add a 3rd 

And then theres salary cap with the rangers. need to take cap dump 

Edited by DontMessMe
  • Haha 1

I wonder if a deal with NYR is contingent on Miller agreeing to an extension with them prior to/at time of trade. 
I think that would be an absolute condition if Schneider is included in any discussion leading up.

Question then is what is the cost/salary bump impact to their cap situation next season. For Miler to extend will likely be asking top dollars on a 6 year deal.

Regardless, still believe NYR is best trading partner, atm.