The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

Another interesting thing to consider…

with the mask mandate now over, and us really pushing for the playoffs, does that nudge Aquilini into communicating to mgmt that he wants to see us really gun for it with the remainder of this season?

he makes bank off playoff games. 
players don’t cost anything extra, but there certainly is a lot of capital being paid out to executive and former staff (JB/TG).

and with regards to JTM, barring anything negative occurring, his value will be at an all time high this offseason. 
the trade market right now seems awfully quiet/tempered. I don’t think mgmt will go too far into next season with their best asset as a question mark. 

soooo, I really hope we go all in, as conservatively as possible when it comes to our future.

Edited by RWJC

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'm ok with Miller at $9M AAV for 8 years.  By 2031, the cap will be around $108 to $110M (based on historically going up 4% per year assuming escrow will be taken care of by 2025).  $9M in 2031 would be the equivalent of $6.75M in today's cap world.

If Miller gets $9M, then I hope the internal cap structure is set. NOBODY else gets $9M and above.  Unless they can beat Millers point production and other metrics/intangibles.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BPA said:

If Miller gets $9M, then I hope the internal cap structure is set. NOBODY else gets $9M and above.  Unless they can beat Millers point production and other metrics/intangibles.

I could see that happening.  It starts with your best player.  The Sedins set the bar last time around.  JT Miller needs to be the one this time.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BPA said:

I can see EP challenging that easily if he continues improving, and Demko as well if he keeps this dominance up.  Both will be signing at higher max cap so I don't see that 9M, if JT signs to that, holding the crown position all that long. 

Edited by T.Demko
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, T.Demko said:

I can see EP challenging that easily if he continues improving, and Demko as well if he keeps this dominance up.  Both will be signing at higher max cap so I don't see that 9M, if JT signs to that, holding the crown position all that long. 

I get that there will be a few players getting PAID.  I just don’t want to be like TO with $40M for 4 forwards.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

I get that, I'm just saying let's wait and see if he signs for something like that.  $10.5M would have him as the 8th highest paid player in the entire league as of today.  He should probably be Top 5, so being paid Top 8 would mean he took a discount.

10.5m today would be equivalent to like a 8.5 back when mcdavid signed so it would have been a massive steal. imo we can only compare contracts recently based on % of teams cap they eat up when they signed rather than actual numbers. otherwise for example if the salary cap today is at 100mil.. and miler wants 10.5mil or 11mil.. ya he's no auston matthews so no i'm not paying him that.. but really it's the same as 8.5mil in a 82.5mil cap. there's no way toews or doughty is worth more than crosby based on just the yearly cap number alone right? when reality crosby contract when he signed was almost 14% of the teams entire cap.

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

You know I'm ALL for re-signing Miller, but realistically though, I just can't see him signing for less than 8 years with us (7 years as UFA).

What would be his incentive to do so?

Agreed, he has to go for as long of term as possible. If he signed a 5 year deal he would be out of luck as a 36 year old looking for a payday. Makes no sense, his agent would never allow it.

Not to mention what if he gets a career ending injury? He needs to hit it out of the park on this contract.

Edited by coryberg

5 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Agreed, he has to go for as long of term as possible. If he signed a 5 year deal he would be out of luck as a 36 year old looking for a payday. Makes no sense, his agent would never allow it.

Not to mention what if he gets a career ending injury? He needs to hit it out of the park on this contract.

Indeed, and that’s one of the advantages  we have is he can get an extra year out of us, which should by rights bring down the total value to compensate. Maybe not my much, but it is a definite factor.

One thing that makes me optimistic either way is that at least we now have a mgmt team that will likely want to nip this in the bud, rather than leave it to the last minute like Benning may have done.

Edited by RWJC

3 hours ago, J-P said:

While Miller was great in the O zone last game and had 4 points, he also had 2-3 brutal giveaways in the D zone, one of which he followed up by taking a penalty and stop playing even though the play continued.

Not bashing him, he's a great player and plays with that swagger that great players have right now, but these are just facts. Guess he's a polarizing player.

Guys float all the time. Miller just has a body language that is more detectable. 

2 hours ago, BPA said:

If that is what he will sign … then JR/PA will likely be hailed as GM of the year.  Good cap hit and good term.  Sounds like wishful thinking to be honest.

BUT…it’s most likely Miller last big payday.  With the way he is playing, I can’t see him getting paid less than $9M aav.  And the term will be 6-8yrs.

I don’t think the cap has accommodated that kind of salary anymore.

I mean I do understand those contracts are out there, but it’s a difficult stretch,

especially When your middle group are worthy of a fair raise themselves for the game they play.

Its all a juggle..  and let’s face it..  Covid, and two shorter seasons over the past couple of years , has not helped anything .

Canucks will have options, we don’t have a 9-10-11m player on the books..

and we do have other assets that should be moving.

I see Chaisson as a depth guy for a playoff team,  Dickenson was showing better before injury..  Boeser is a fair question, perhaps even Bo.

We have 3-4 goalies behind Demko that could bring an NHL ready D prospect back, just because Goaltending in the league is a bit thin on some teams that should be contending..

Toronto, Edmonton, and others.

Martin , Silvos, Koskenvuo.. I’d rather move Depietro before the other 3.

Our next camp might be the best we’ve seen with prospects we have..  and given what’s going on in the world,and with a possible KHL collapse.. most of our prospects in Europe might be in Abbotsford next season.

I just hope to see the fiery leader in Miller, pulling everyone together on the same page.

There are some great prospect coming.. just a little patience to next season.

Rathbone , Jasek, Utenen, Klimovich, Woo, Zodoyedev, Mcdonaugh, Truscott , Depietro, Plasek, Perrson, Karlsson 

I'd rather trade him for a haul, But i'm not scared of signing him to a big dollar and term. Why? Spend 10min looking at every good team in the league on capfriendly and you will see they ALL ( expect the canes ) have 28-38 yo's making 7-11m on big term. Every single great team has multiple of this type of signing.

Our fan base is just filled with people who don't have a clue what other teams do in this league, Literally only carolina has no high dollar older guys. Stop being so scared of the most common thing in the league.. Teams hanging on to their best players lol

Wonder why that is? Maybe because experience and culture matter? Interesting ehhh

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Indeed, and that’s one of the advantages  we have is he can get an extra year out of us, which should by rights bring down the total value to compensate. Maybe not my much, but it is a definite factor.

One thing that makes me optimistic either way is that at least we now have a mgmt team that will likely want to nip this in the bud, rather than leave it to the last minute like Benning may have done.

That also happens to be my biggest fear:bigblush:

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

And it's easy enough to pencil in a prospect developing into a bonafide top pairing RHD.  I'd take my chances with what we know (Miller is one of the best centres in the entire world) and there WILL be RHD available via UFA...

For 2022:  Klingberg, Manson, Schultz, Miller, Lyubushkin, etc

For 2023:  Dumba, Severson, Weegar, Cernak, Mayfield, Holl, Van Riemsdyk, etc

Fair enough. That's a reasonable take. We'll see what happens. I just hope our RD gets a complete revamp along the way.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Best teams have the best leaders,

scroll through it,. Find a captaincy that that isn’t HIGH end.

Miller should be Captain,

it’s who our players are drawn to.

9101D76D-947A-4D97-9699-F0B1E6BBE89C.thumb.jpeg.2be5123d6c37da2ddd1e35281aaeb4e2.jpeg

It's unfortunate you had to mention the Hawks leadership.  They've proven they're not good people, good hockey players maybe, but most certainly not good people.

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

It's unfortunate you had to mention the Hawks leadership.  They've proven they're not good people, good hockey players maybe, but most certainly not good people.

Wasn’t meant to be microscopic..

It’s the bigger picture I was trying to portray thus the teams that continue on that list.

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

Sure...

$9.5 x 7 on the open market = $66.5M total

$9 x 8 with the Canucks = $72M total ($5.5M more, and 1 extra year of security)

Which one would you take?

PS - Even $8.75 x 8 = $70M.  The key is that the Canucks can offer an 8 year deal.  Other teams can't.

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

I'm ok with Miller at $9M AAV for 8 years.  By 2031, the cap will be around $108 to $110M (based on historically going up 4% per year assuming escrow will be taken care of by 2025).  $9M in 2031 would be the equivalent of $6.75M in today's cap world.

That anyone here is ok allocating $9m + for 8 years, to a 30 year old, given where we are as an organization is :blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

That anyone here is ok allocating $9m + for 8 years, to a 30 year old, given where we are as an organization is :blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

That anyone here is ok dumping one of the best players on the planet for a few players that you hope and pray become impact players is :blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

6 hours ago, HKSR said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb because I won't be able to find actual numbers to back it up, but I reckon during the Blackhawks hey days, if Kane were pulled out of their lineup, they would not be a contender.  If Crosby were out of the Pens lineup, they wouldn't be a contender.  If Kucherov was out of the Lightning's lineup, they wouldn't have won their cups.  If Ryan O'Reilly was taken out of the Blues lineup, they wouldn't have won the Cup.  If Ovechkin was out of the Caps lineup.... 

Bottomline is that it is a really weak argument to take a franchise player, and one of the absolute best players in the entire NHL right now out of a lineup and hold that against a team saying that they wouldn't be any good without him lol

Kane missing from the team still had arguably one fo the best bottom 6 groups in the league for years.  Had arguably one of the best top 4's in the league for years.  Had arguably one of the best 2 way centres for years.  Had Hossa the end all be all.

If we had a vintage (hawks team)

Seabrook

Bickell

Kane

Byfuglien

Sharp

Toews

Hossa

Keith

If we had a vintage (pens team)

Crosby

Malkin

Letang

Fleury

Kessel

Kunitz

Gonchar

If we had a (blues team)

O'Reilly

Tarasenko

Pietrelangelo

Parayko

Bouwmeester

We could remove any one of them and STILL be contending.  But look at that record without Miller.  It is damning.  But look at the Hawks and Pens line ups.  4+ HoF players on them.  That Blues back end had a top 4 that is effectively better than all but Hughes and some of the best middle 6 players of the season that year.

We currently have Miller and nobody else is elevating their game in comparison judging by the numbers indicated without Miller in the lineup.  No Miller no Demko.  This team is drafting top 7.  That is not a competitive team regardless of retaining Miller or not.  There are too many other holes and issues that need addressing for this team to even say it's a contender.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

That anyone here is ok dumping one of the best players on the planet for a few players that you hope and pray become impact players is :blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

Again, nobody is suggesting he isn't a good player NOW. That's not the issue.

• Cheers 1