The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

Too many people in this thread have never played a competitive sport and can't understand the difference between passion and sulking.  Miller is passion personified.  There is no petulant behavior from him. He gets pissed off and works harder.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

This is what Hagel got, Hagel. Miller could absolutely get us more in the way of prospects/players on the cusp/NHL ready players/picks. 

The caveat is that there needs to be a team out there willing to (a) give up the assets;  (b) actually have the assets to give and (c) cap space.  Don't see many teams in that position.  Off season likely the best time to deal if Miller's ask is too high.

2 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Angry with losing or not happy with his own performance does not fall into the category of sulking. BB seems to be supportive of JT as a leader. 

Where would we be without Miller this year? 

I don't get anyone being critical of him. 

There are two reasons to be somewhat critical of Miller. 

#1 he is having a career year... But who knows whether this is a one off or whether this is the start of something great. Paying him full money for 7+ years is a HUGE risk with no real evidence to show he can Maintain.

#2 Anyone who has ever played high level sports have seen tons of Millers. Emotional guys who are prone to outbursts. Yes they have flashes of brilliance but they also come with a lot of baggage and potential issues. Often their on ice performance outweighs the risks.... But the risks are still there. I for one see lots of red flags. When Miller gets moody his backchecks suffer, he takes penalties, he coasts to the bench, he freaks out. More often than not I've seen these guys quit on their team rather than carry them. So far Miller is carrying... But a 35 year old Miller won't be carrying this team.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

#1 he is having a career year... But who knows whether this is a one off or whether this is the start of something great. Paying him full money for 7+ years is a HUGE risk with no real evidence to show he can Maintain.

#2 Anyone who has ever played high level sports have seen tons of Millers. Emotional guys who are prone to outbursts. Yes they have flashes of brilliance but they also come with a lot of baggage and potential issues. Often their on ice performance outweighs the risks.... But the risks are still there. I for one see lots of red flags. When Miller gets moody his backchecks suffer, he takes penalties, he coasts to the bench, he freaks out. More often than not I've seen these guys quit on their team rather than carry them. So far Miller is carrying... But a 35 year old Miller won't be carrying this team.

Your #1 is not a reason to be critical. It's a reason to be cautious. (Regarding future contract)

Your number 2 reason to be critical again is not a reason to be critical. Your not stating fact, your hypothesizing.  If those items were an issue I don't think we would see Boudreau praising his leadership. This is not sean Avery were talking about.  

49 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Angry with losing or not happy with his own performance does not fall into the category of sulking. BB seems to be supportive of JT as a leader. 

Where would we be without Miller this year? 

I don't get anyone being critical of him. 

I think it’s just a matter of choosing your pillars of your team especially with a huge contact coming …I like Miller but old man Rutherford is right hard choices coming ..maybe surfer Brock is surfs up?

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

Your #1 is not a reason to be critical. It's a reason to be cautious. (Regarding future contract)

Your number 2 reason to be critical again is not a reason to be critical. Your not stating fact, your hypothesizing.  If those items were an issue I don't think we would see Boudreau praising his leadership. This is not sean Avery were talking about.  

They are both reason to be critical.. but critical doesn't automatically take away from his positives. Which Miller has a lot of. 

Boudreau will always praise his players to the media. Reality is just because Miller puts up a bunch of points doesn't mean he is perfect... And people are allowed to talk about his imperfections.

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I've played and coached significantly competitive sports, especially hockey, and I've played with Miller "type".  That passion is great when things are good, bit is almost always toxic when things are bad and we've seen pretty clear signs of that from Miller and Miller, himself, alludes to issues like that early in his career

Well said. So easy to forget that Miller wasn't leading the team out of the losing streak at the start of the season... He was just as much a part of the slump as everyone else. Now that he's on a big scoring pace he can do no wrong.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

Well said. So easy to forget that Miller wasn't leading the team out of the losing streak at the start of the season... He was just as much a part of the slump as everyone else. Now that he's on a big scoring pace he can do no wrong.

He was pretty awful when he was sulking under Coach Green. He's a lot happier now, and he knows a big payday is coming.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

Yeah anyone that doesn't see this is blind with Miller love. The worst for me was when he would start making horrible no look passes and giving up on plays in our own end just because we were down a goal or two. Brutal stuff. At least he's cleaned that up a bit now.

Edited by Gawdzukes

10 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

They are both reason to be critical.. but critical doesn't automatically take away from his positives. Which Miller has a lot of. 

Boudreau will always praise his players to the media. Reality is just because Miller puts up a bunch of points doesn't mean he is perfect... And people are allowed to talk about his imperfections.

Ah no haven't you heard he's been been appointed God in some circles. Being critical doesn't mean he's not a great player but man some people literally think he can do no wrong and that he's a hockey messiah or something. It's clear to anyone who has watched he's acted like a petulant child at times.

• Upvote 2

So just curious what the “keep Miller camp” thinks Miller is willing to re-sign with the Canucks since Hertl signed for $8.1M x 8yrs?

I know a couple posters in the past mentioned $8.5M x 6yrs.  But I think the goal post may have changed since the Hertl signing.

23 minutes ago, BPA said:

So just curious what the “keep Miller camp” thinks Miller is willing to re-sign with the Canucks since Hertl signed for $8.1M x 8yrs?

I know a couple posters in the past mentioned $8.5M x 6yrs.  But I think the goal post may have changed since the Hertl signing.

UFA a team probably gives him 7 years so at least that and it’ll probably cost around 8.75-9.25 be around that 8.75ish area maybe a little lower if you went with the 8 years. I love JT and there’s a chance he could be good for half that contract but I still feel like I’d do it. However I also like the idea of having the cake and eating it too! Trade him to Colorado 50% retained for Newhook, Byram+ and then sign JT Miller when he’s a free agent to a 7 year deal!

Edited by flickyoursedin

25 minutes ago, BPA said:

That goal post was always a...

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, singing chef said:

The caveat is that there needs to be a team out there willing to (a) give up the assets;  (b) actually have the assets to give and (c) cap space.  Don't see many teams in that position.  Off season likely the best time to deal if Miller's ask is too high.

Oh for sure, there's gotta be a buyer. Offseason would offer more teams more flex, and they'd be able to make moves without the pressure of where they are in the standings.

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

thats just seems like an insane deal for a kid with one 20 goal season. 

For sure, his being at a low cap hit is huge for Tampa but damn.

But when you've won two cups and can still contend who cares about the future I guess?

• Vintage 1