The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

this has always been my concern over the magic beans scenario. 

Sometimes losing the best player in a trade but gaining depth is beneficial in a cap world. I love Miller but he will be 30 when his extension would kick in and the first few years MAY bring fair value but more then likely the majority of the contract he will be anywhere from overpaid to vastly overpaid. If we can get 3-4 cost controlled assets then I’m all for it. For example IF we could get Schneider, Chytl and a first I think you have to jump on it, an added second would be incredible. But you’re getting 2 guys that are playing on the roster immediately that are young and much less expensive so we are filling holes and then there’s the potential from the picks, far from a guarantee but definitely benefits our lacklustre prospect pool and gives us the potential for ELCs in the future that would be a massive benefit 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I'm not sure I agree with this. 

Canucks played fine without Boeser but when Horvat went down at the end of the season blocking a shot, I would say Canucks started to lose the following games when we needed wins the most. 

That being said I'm not opposed to moving him or Miller or whoever gets us the best deal and sets us up for the future. 

Demko, Petey, Hughes and Podz are my untouchables but even then there's always a price. 

For example of NJ goes all in on Quinn Hughes and sends us Hirschier, Severson and their number 1 pick, I'd think wed entertain it? 

That would then allow us to move one of Miller or Horvat for another good return? 

2 hours ago, stawns said:

yeah, I think they missed Horvat more than anyone else. 

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

yeah it was all over when we lost Bo. Even if they somehow squeaked in, without Bo in the playoffs it would have been fugly.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

he plays a much much bigger role than he ever gets credit for

Bunch of emotional millennials you are :bigblush:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I'm not sure I agree with this. 

Canucks played fine without Boeser but when Horvat went down at the end of the season blocking a shot, I would say Canucks started to lose the following games when we needed wins the most. 

That being said I'm not opposed to moving him or Miller or whoever gets us the best deal and sets us up for the future. 

Demko, Petey, Hughes and Podz are my untouchables but even then there's always a price. 

For example of NJ goes all in on Quinn Hughes and sends us Hirschier, Severson and their number 1 pick, I'd think wed entertain it? 

That would then allow us to move one of Miller or Horvat for another good return? 

We Needed Bo to lead at the Start of the season..

I think the C is something that has to stand out, speak out , at all times..

Its not about personal games.

7 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Not sure what your expect him to do when the head coach is a locker room cancer.  For all we know he asked management to bring in an actual coach long before Green got fired.

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

this has always been my concern over the magic beans scenario. 

However, the alternatives also carry risks.   Risk #1 Miller walks away for nothing.  Risk #2, I think Miller's value is going to be higher at this year's draft than at the trade deadline next year.   Trade deadlines often involves non-roster players/picks, I would assume Schneider wouldn't be a possibility at that time.  Risk #3 signing him to a long-term deal that he will not live up to.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, BPA said:

From an article…

“Getting a potential top pairing defenceman is the key to getting a fair return,” one anonymous league executive — not affiliated with the Canucks — told CanucksArmy. “A mid-round first could be a bust, and Chytil is an okay piece, but not great. Schneider, Chytil and a 1st is probably what’s necessary and I think adding a second-round pick is required. Miller is one of the top players in the game. It has to be a haul, and even if it is, the Canucks still may lose the trade.”

I agree with this. I think there realistically is a higher chance the Canucks lose the trade it whatever trade is involved with Miller. Rule of thumb is whoever gets the best player wins the trade. Highly unlikely we get another piece as good as Miller is now.

However! I think it's far more likely for the Canucks to lose worse if we resign Miller. The amount of term and AAV Miller can demand, paired with the fact he's rounding 30 and we aren't in a good cap situation going forward isn't pretty. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

1 hour ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

Sometimes losing the best player in a trade but gaining depth is beneficial in a cap world. I love Miller but he will be 30 when his extension would kick in and the first few years MAY bring fair value but more then likely the majority of the contract he will be anywhere from overpaid to vastly overpaid. If we can get 3-4 cost controlled assets then I’m all for it. For example IF we could get Schneider, Chytl and a first I think you have to jump on it, an added second would be incredible. But you’re getting 2 guys that are playing on the roster immediately that are young and much less expensive so we are filling holes and then there’s the potential from the picks, far from a guarantee but definitely benefits our lacklustre prospect pool and gives us the potential for ELCs in the future that would be a massive benefit 

I wouldn't be thrilled, but I'm starting to see that this might be where the team is headed. If we could land a more established RHD I'd feel better about it.

3 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

However, the alternatives also carry risks.   Risk #1 Miller walks away for nothing.  Risk #2, I think Miller's value is going to be higher at this year's draft than at the trade deadline next year.   Trade deadlines often involves non-roster players/picks, I would assume Schneider wouldn't be a possibility at that time.  Risk #3 signing him to a long-term deal that he will not live up to.

bingo. 

So which is the bigger risk? no one really knows. I think we can fairly guess the back 1/2 of Millers deal won't be full value. So it just comes down to when mgmt thinks our window really is.

So if JR has decided, and it seems so from guys like Friedman, that Miller just doesn't fit then bring on the bidding war. So far I'm not thrilled with the returns but lets see how it shakes, maybe its a deal on the level of Linden-Bertuzzi and propels us into some great years.

20 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

I still don't see the Rags trading for JT, but if it did happen, I would want Kravtsov included.  He is an RFA now.

Ranger's need a top 6 RW; maybe they take Garland + 2nd (2023)  for Kravstov + Lundkvist

13 hours ago, aGENT said:

Exactly.

Only thing I can't figure out, is how we get them to give up Marino :lol:

Miller also grew up in Pittsburgh or close to I believe. I think he went to school there so I think Pitt might be high on his list of destinations. He'd be playing on a team with a couple of the best players in the world and a group who definitely want to be contending for a CUP every single year in the foreseeable future. What's not to like there? Familiarity and a winning culture. I'm sure Miller is getting tired of not having a chance to win every year.

Also, happy belated page 420 to you and @stawns :P

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

13 hours ago, aGENT said:

Exactly.

Only thing I can't figure out, is how we get them to give up Marino :lol:

well... what if Pits isn't going to re-sign Malkin?

Go with Miller @2.65 mil for year instead, don't re-sign Zucker the year after when Miller gets paid big $,  they re-sign Rakell, and if they trade us Marino maybe they still have the cap room to go after Klingberg or Manson. That low initial year of Miller makes a lot of moves possible. 

Marino could be available in a scenario like this where Burkie goes after a UFA RHD. I suspect they could attract one of those two guys if they replace Malkin with Miller. 

So:

Miller 50% retained for Marino, Bluger, 2022 1st (21st oa), 2023 2nd?

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

Go with Miller @2.65 mil for year instead, don't re-sign Zucker the year after when Miller gets paid big $,  they re-sign Rakell, and if they trade us Marino maybe they still have the cap room to go after Klingberg or Manson. That low initial year of Miller makes a lot of moves possible. 

Marino could be available in a scenario like this where Burkie goes after a UFA RHD. I suspect they could attract one of those two guys if they replace Malkin with Miller. 

So:

Hextall says priority is to extend Malkin and Letang - sounds like he got a talking to from ownership.  Miller would play wing and can fill in at C in case of injury.

They are likely looking to move out Zucker already this off-season but that might be tough.  

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

bingo. 

So which is the bigger risk? no one really knows. I think we can fairly guess the back 1/2 of Millers deal won't be full value. So it just comes down to when mgmt thinks our window really is.

So if JR has decided, and it seems so from guys like Friedman, that Miller just doesn't fit then bring on the bidding war. So far I'm not thrilled with the returns but lets see how it shakes, maybe its a deal on the level of Linden-Bertuzzi and propels us into some great years.

One thing that perplexes me is that people really seem to be biting on all these rumors out there and seem to think that GM's announce all their business and possible trades as tweets... But c'mon there is no groundbreaking journalism going on here. These guys are just people like us who can use google and imagine possible trades, and then totally make this stuff up.

I wouldn't get to wrapped up into what the media reports. They're really not part of the process at all and are just guessing like we are. I would imagine if you took all trade rumors and compared them to actual trades they're less than 5% accurate over time. Have faith Jimmy. Maybe some of the reports are even accurate and that's why we haven't pulled the trigger yet but there is a real possibility the trade will look nothing like what's being reported and we do indeed get a more established player back like you wish.

One thing does seem certain our management has repeatedly indicated our window is 2 or more years away so some logical deduction does make it seem like JT is on the way out the door.

• Cheers 2

58 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

some of the best Captains I've ever played with weren't boisterous, rah rah guys.  We followed because they were calm and collected and tyhen went out there and led by example.  Most players eventually tune out the very vocal leaders

• Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, JM_ said:

So:

I think Crosby puts the foot down and Malkin is back next year. 

10 minutes ago, mll said:

Hextall says priority is to extend Malkin and Letang - sounds like he got a talking to from ownership.  Miller would play wing and can fill in at C in case of injury.

They are likely looking to move out Zucker already this off-season but that might be tough.  

I heard that they wen't close to a Malkin extension tho. 

Zucker will be hard to move for sure. They don't really have the assets to sell him off either. 

10 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

One thing that perplexes me is that people really seem to be biting on all these rumors out there and seem to think that GM's announce all their business and possible trades as tweets... But c'mon there is no groundbreaking journalism going on here. These guys are just people like us who can use google and imagine possible trades, and then totally make this stuff up.

I wouldn't get to wrapped up into what the media reports. They're really not part of the process at all and are just guessing like we are. I would imagine if you took all trade rumors and compared them to actual trades they're less than 5% accurate over time. Have faith Jimmy. Maybe some of the reports are even accurate and that's why we haven't pulled the trigger yet but there is a real possibility the trade will look nothing like what's being reported and we do indeed get a more established player back like you wish.

One thing does seem certain our management has repeatedly indicated our window is 2 or more years away so some logical deduction does make it seem like JT is on the way out the door.

I do think Millers trade value is a lot higher than what we've been told in the media. My preference is we find a way to keep him, but if thats just not possible then I hope you're right and the real deals are not anything we've heard yet. 

• Cheers 1