The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 minute ago, Scottydzik said:

Excactly Alvin/Ruth need get list of teams ek will waive to and do what it cost rid him of that contract 2 moves I like if possible 

miller 15th to jersey to Canucks 2nd smith 

Hoglander Dermott To Islander mayfield 2nd back sign zadarov

D corps next year

Hughes zadarov 

Smith myers

Rathbone Mayfield 

Extra schenn

I don't think they should move OEL either.  

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Bell said:

When Myers just focuses playing defense he is very good,  it's when he thinks he is an offensive threat he becomes a liability.  I like the big man though.

Thus the reason he tries to extend himself.

The void is of a “match” player for Myers .. 

perhaps Rathbone might prove to be that?

40 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think you have a very good understanding of what Myers does night in and night out.  Manson is the only name on that list who could remotely replace Myers and he's going to be, at least, as costly.  

I don't think you have a very good understanding of what this defence core needs.  We don't need a 2 way offensive and defensive defenceman.  We need a pure defensive shutdown RHD.

8 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

This thread is de-railing ,.   another should be created for Myers .

My thoughts exactly. You know it's gone off the rails when you question whether or not you're in the right thread. 

• Cheers 2

34 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

His contract is awful and is on steady decline he’s paid like top 10 d in league playing like 5th in our team that’s problem

What would it take to move OEL? a first? 

What would it take to replace his impact on the ice? 6 million a year contract and assets to get said player?

Is saving under 2 million a year in cap worth the first and other assets?

For me its a no brainer that giving up those assets is not worth getting rid of OEL. While he is overpaid and I would wash my hands of the contract if we could, he is still a minute eating solid defensemen that isn't as bad as he is made out to be. 

Every team has contracts that are overpaid by various amounts, a few million dollars in this area is not going to kill the team. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Not too sure many new management crews are going to come in and trade the teams #1 point producer and heart and soul guy, who a certain young Russian idolizes.

And a couple of notes on defense:  Myers is a stud yes I said it, I have met him as a young man and a full grown adult, he is huge, RH, and has a nasty steak, I love that.

OEL is very serviceable in any situation, the contracts going the other way is a good trade, and showed last year, I think this year will be even better for him.

GCG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I'm not sure where people are having and issue with Myers, he's a workhorse

Again, he's a perfectly fine, 2nd pair, 2 way D with size. Myers the player, in a vacuum, isn't the problem. His fit with the other two guys, on the opposite side of the top 4 is the problem. He's a poor fit with both. And if he can't play in your top 4 with your other top 4 D...

1 hour ago, Scottydzik said:

His contract is awful and is on steady decline he’s paid like top 10 d in league playing like 5th in our team that’s problem

his contract is fine for what ne brings to the table.  You're certainly not replacing him for less money

Just now, aGENT said:

Again, he's a perfectly fine, 2nd pair, 2 way D with size. Myers the player, in a vacuum, isn't the problem. His fit with the other two guys, on the opposite side of the top 4 is the problem. He's a poor fit with both. And if he can't play in your top 4 with your other top 4 D...

I thought OEL and Myers was a great duo and they went up against the top lines for the other teams night after night.  

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

I don't think you have a very good understanding of what this defence core needs.  We don't need a 2 way offensive and defensive defenceman.  We need a pure defensive shutdown RHD.

such as?

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I thought OEL and Myers was a great duo and they went up against the top lines for the other teams night after night.  

they were, but it came at the expense of OEL's production, and Myers too. 

Myers needs a solid stay at home left partner, OEL is too talented to be a babysitter. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

I completely agree that we could use a different type of D man than Myers. The ones you are describing.

After Myers, there isnt anyone on our roster, or in our system that can replicate his minutes on RHD.

He is the only legitimate top 4 RHD we have.

I just don't see how you can acquire these players you're talking about, without substantial dollars and longer term.

It just reads as a lateral move at best.  

How is a right side of Marino, Lyubushkin, and Schenn/Poolman more expensive?

Marino is already under contract, we trade a Miller/Boeser/Garland for him (or someone like him). Lyubushkin is a UFA and should come in around what Poolman costs.

That D is younger, cheaper, better defensively and a better fit with the players we have on the left. And being younger, they're more likely part of a mid-long term solution vs expiring in 2 years, Myers. How is that remotely lateral?

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

such as?

I just listed a bunch in the other reply...

But again, guys like Lyubushkin, Rutta, Sustr, Marino, Mayfield, Whitecloud, Carlo, Manson, etc. etc... defensive defencemen don't cost nearly as much as ones that put up some offence.  Most are in the $3M to $4.5M range for a really quality shutdown defenceman.  That's $1.5M to $3M in cap savings against Myers.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

they were, but it came at the expense of OEL's production, and Myers too. 

Myers needs a solid stay at home left partner, OEL is too talented to be a babysitter. 

Bang on JM. Bang on. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Scottydzik said:

We take huge step back on our d if we  trade myers only guy on back end that plays with any fight and hasn’t been terrible to go with rhd and ups his game in playoffs ek has go his play is on steady decline and we cannot afford top pairing guy that is playing like 5th defencemen and lhd or easy to find 

Well if signed Manson not really.  Pipe dream I know. The current management team is smart enough not to creat giant holes without a plan to fill them. 
OEL’s contract is untradeable. Benning is gone so nobody would be foolish enough to take on that money. In a few years it may be tradeable because the majority of it will be paid off, not terrible for buyout towards the end if he really drops off. 

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

They play a too similar game and OEL ended up "babysitting" Myers, being the safe "defensive" guy on that pairing, which neutered his offense. Why are we neutering the offense of a very good, top pair capable, 2 way D? 

Playing Myers with OEL limits our ability to get the best value out of OEL. Period.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

How is a right side of Marino, Lyubushkin, and Schenn/Poolman more expensive?

Marino is already under contract, we trade a Miller/Boeser/Garland for him (or someone like him). Lyubushkin is a UFA and should come in around what Poolman costs.

That D is younger, cheaper, better defensively and a better fit with the players we have on the left. And being younger, they're more likely part of a mid-long term solution vs expiring in 2 years, Myers. How is that remotely lateral?

There was a guy we were all talking about last year who ended up signing a fairly reasonable contract with the Kraken… he’s a little bit older but I think Adam Larsson could help balance out our d pairings quite a bit. 

1 minute ago, J-Dizzle said:

There was a guy we were all talking about last year who ended up signing a fairly reasonable contract with the Kraken… he’s a little bit older but I think Adam Larsson could help balance out our d pairings quite a bit. 

Yup, I was disappointed he went to SEA before free agency. Would have been a perfect fit. Would have FAR rather had him than Hamonic + Poolman.

But that's EXACTLY the your of D we need.