The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Actually no the whole conversation started from the old JT is the perfect leader who doesn't have any faults when clearly he does. You don't even have to be astute at hockey because this one is glaring as hell even to the common observer. It's alright though not everyone is perfect but it's still a point of contention if you are talking about being a leader. This is exactly the type of  mythologizing of JT that has been mentioned before.

It's something he is not good at which hurts the team and could improve on. Plain and simple. Unless of course turnovers and reckless play are now considered a positive by some.

Much of it coming from people who haven't been in higher level dressing rooms and don't understand what the role of the captain really is, imo

• Vintage 4

Just now, TmanVan said:

Yea Miller to Columbus just to piss them off! Then phone them up laughing when they lose in the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs again. 

ps : Ceulemans and either one of Cole Sillinger or Kent Johnson and im sold

Curb Your Enthusiasm Ok GIF

7 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

We held 9th and 24th overall that year,.  You think we couldn’t have traded up?

Would have been fantastic if we could have moved up to 3rd and took Jonathan Drouin!

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Actually no the whole conversation started from the old JT is the perfect leader who doesn't have any faults when clearly he does. You don't even have to be astute at hockey because this one is glaring as hell even to the common observer. It's alright though not everyone is perfect but it's still a point of contention if you are talking about being a leader. This is exactly the type of  mythologizing of JT that has been mentioned before.

It's something he is not good at which hurts the team and could improve on. Plain and simple. Unless of course turnovers and reckless play are now considered a positive by some.

+15.   32 67 99 .     Miller

No one said he did t gave faults , your assuming that.

If your not making mistakes, your not trying hard enough,.   Kind of like LE,  I think his goals were worth 800k each..  hey, but such a a great defensive forward.

Edited by SilentSam

3 minutes ago, TmanVan said:

Yea Miller to Columbus just to piss them off! Then phone them up laughing when they lose in the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs again. 

ps : Ceulemans and either one of Cole Sillinger or Kent Johnson and im sold

These guys are the foundation they are building around.  Why would Miller even want to go to Columbus - they aren't in a playoff spot and their next step is dependent on their prospects developing. 

3 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Take a deep breath, lol.

I think folks are going to have to try to come to terms with the fact that not much happens today, other than us adding some pieces to our prospect pool.

I think between J.T. re-signing, getting traded or nothing happening in regards to him today….if I were forced to put money down I’d go with the latter scenario.

It’s so quiet and calm on the tradefront that it makes me wonder if teams will even draft today or just sit quietly at the table :lol:

• Haha 3

After all the talk of late I actually think that a likely scenario is JT stays a Canuck until the TDL at least.  

Attempting to read between the lines :  The offers put forward are not the of the ground breaking nature that some hope for. 

I also i think a lot of management including our own want to see how JT trends this coming season.  I mean, do you pay him like a top 10 scorer in the league this year then he drops back down to career average . . . Also will have a better idea how he is gonna age, and that could affect term as well - which i think is the big frightener for teams right now.  8.5M x 4 ... Sure.  7 * 7 ... :sadno:.  Teams will probably also have a better idea of the longer term cap picture next season too.  Which could also work in JT's favour if there's the predicted ~10M rise over 2-3 years.

The contradiction to this could be the teams trying to compete before their big contracts kick in.  LA has already bitten. I think NYR is hesitant to bite and give up the kind of futures we want for the players, specially as some of their key prospects value is at an all time low. Avs could be interesting as JT next year is likely cheaper than Kadri by a mill or two, but is that enough reason to give up BB or the kinda deal we would want too ?  NJD - i just don't see them walking away from that #2 - they would be better with drafting the available player there, and if that ends up being Shane Wright, trading Nico Heischer next year as a 1-2 punch of Hughes, Wright ( if he develops ) would be perfect.  Or you just take the big winger to play with Jack IMO. 

Finally i don't really see a scenario where Canucks can actually improve next year while trading JT - and while we all hope there is a longer term plan with the club under JR the many years of Aqua ownership dictate the opposite 'Win Now mantra'  is likely still the reality. 

Could be a pretty nervous TDL and beyond again for us next year. Can u imagine losing JT for nothing again, or missing the playoffs because we traded him for a late first and a B prospect after all this haha. 

1 hour ago, Locke Lamora said:

Sometimes I really question your hockey knowledge. When Bo was drafted he was billed as a solid, dependable center, with some scoring upside. There was very little “hype” around him. He was a “meat and potatoes” sort of player. If anything, he’s exceeded expectations. Not sure many expected a 30+ goal scoring center, with a shot at hitting 40 goals at some point in his career. 

Your continued attempt to put down Horvat to somehow elevate J.T. (who doesn’t need your help) is weird.

lol yeah, just sometimes? :lol: The funny thing him is he has to denigrate Bo in an attempt to glorify JT. What is wrong with having multiple leaders on a hockey team? In fact that's how it should be. You have all different types of big personalities on teams with different ages and viewpoints and it helps to have different types of leaders who can relate to everyone. It's a team game but SS doesn't seem to get that.

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

After all the talk of late I actually think that a likely scenario is JT stays a Canuck until the TDL at least.  

Attempting to read between the lines :  The offers put forward are not the of the ground breaking nature that some hope for. 

I also i think a lot of management including our own want to see how JT trends this coming season.  I mean, do you pay him like a top 10 scorer in the league this year then he drops back down to career average . . . Also will have a better idea how he is gonna age, and that could affect term as well - which i think is the big frightener for teams right now.  8.5M x 4 ... Sure.  7 * 7 ... :sadno:.  Teams will probably also have a better idea of the longer term cap picture next season too.  Which could also work in JT's favour if there's the predicted ~10M rise over 2-3 years.

The contradiction to this could be the teams trying to compete before their big contracts kick in.  LA has already bitten. I think NYR is hesitant to bite and give up the kind of futures we want for the players, specially as some of their key prospects value is at an all time low. Avs could be interesting as JT next year is likely cheaper than Kadri by a mill or two, but is that enough reason to give up BB or the kinda deal we would want too ?  NJD - i just don't see them walking away from that #2 - they would be better with drafting the available player there, and if that ends up being Shane Wright, trading Nico Heischer next year as a 1-2 punch of Hughes, Wright ( if he develops ) would be perfect.  Or you just take the big winger to play with Jack IMO. 

Finally i don't really see a scenario where Canucks can actually improve next year while trading JT - and while we all hope there is a longer term plan with the club under JR the many years of Aqua ownership dictate the opposite 'Win Now mantra'  is likely still the reality. 

Could be a pretty nervous TDL and beyond again for us next year. Can u imagine losing JT for nothing again, or missing the playoffs because we traded him for a late first and a B prospect after all this haha. 

Yuck!  I hope you're wrong!  Even if that's the right thing to do in terms of "asset management" it would just be too toxic.  Toxic for the team, the fanbase JT... everyone!

I like our new management but I would not be impressed if that's how things played out.