The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

5 hours ago, Provost said:

We don’t know that.  If he declines right on the average rate…. He will be a below replacement level player long before a max term contract is done.

50-60 points at 35 years old (by the end of his 4th year on an extension) would be a remarkable achievement that few players manage.

Who said max term contract? No one is proposing that.

I said 3 or 4 years of good production. That would take him to 34. Plenty of 34 year olds in the league still putting up points.

On a 6 or 7 year deal that would mean like 2 or 3 years where the contract has bad value.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think it's more getting rid of Pearson because he actually has trade value and his cap space can be used to re-sign both Miller and Horvat.  I don't think anyone has stated to get rid of Pearson because he doesn't produce or is overpaid.  If that was the case he would be untradeable like Dickinson...

If Pearson had any trade value without us adding any incentives or taking cap back. He would have been already traded by now. 

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, shiznak said:

Didn’t he score 21 goals in 64 games just two seasons ago, while having to play tough matchup and little-to-none first unit PP?

The point wasn’t that he can score 25-30 goals every season, not that Miller can either, he’s only done it twice in his career. The point was, Pearson can play in all situations and is a leader in the locker room, while being paid less than twice of what Miller will make. Yet people are so eager to get rid of him.

Pearson is a fringe top 6 winger and is really best suited for 3rd line duties. Miller is a bonafide top line C/W. I agree they are both versatile, valueable players but Miller is on another level entirely. 

7 hours ago, Muttley said:

My guess would be the same as it was a couple of months ago. 7 to 7.2 per. For six years. I'm fully aware six years is pushing it but never have I said I

would want him or anyone playing past 34 to 35. That includes defensemen as well. Point is, this team needs JT's tenacity and leadership qualities for a while yet.

Horvat is a good Captain. Miller is a good mentor by example. IMO. I know crazy contract #s have been thrown around regarding what JT will demand, 

I've yet to hear it from a credible source. He himself was amazed at his 99 point total. Said so if I recall. Such a humble dude. B)..Posturing is bound to happen

from both sides. To be expected. 

At your 7 year term there, it would be a small miracle and major discount, to get him at $8.5m per. (Never mind that, that term is too long IMO). Realistically, you're probably looking at something in the low $9's at 7 years.

We can't afford to give him the contract he's earned unfortunately.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 3

12 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

They are contenders now and we are not. Its as simple as that. I don't see how you can say “sure we are” but then add what we need (just 2 top 4 D). That’s contradictory. Either we are (now) as much a contender as Calgary is or we’re not. Our management team disagrees with you.

I can say it the same way you say your opinion. Calgary has had huge changes, we don't know how that will all come together either. 

23 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

Pearson is a fringe top 6 winger and is really best suited for 3rd line duties. Miller is a bonafide top line C/W. I agree they are both versatile, valueable players but Miller is on another level entirely. 

Will Miller be a bonafide top line player, in year 4 of his new contract? Most likely not. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think it's more getting rid of Pearson because he actually has trade value and his cap space can be used to re-sign both Miller and Horvat.  I don't think anyone has stated to get rid of Pearson because he doesn't produce or is overpaid.  If that was the case he would be untradeable like Dickinson...

its funny, trading Miller for magic beans is fine, but moving Pearson to create cap to bring in another d man seems to shock some people :lol:

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

its funny, trading Miller for magic beans is fine, but moving Pearson to create cap to bring in another d man seems to shock some people :lol:

again, you trade Miller because it's becoming glaringly obvious he isn't planning on staying in Vancouver.........obviously not for a "team friendly" deal.

Just now, stawns said:

again, you trade Miller because it's becoming glaringly obvious he isn't planning on staying in Vancouver.........obviously not for a "team friendly" deal.

I know you keep telling me that. I don't know that its true tho. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, HKSR said:

They also didn't have a potential top 5 goaltender.  Not every team is built exactly the same way.

This is what some don't get. There seems to be a thought that there is a "cookie cutter" to success. Some teams have one player who makes 12-13 mill(McDavid) or a goalie who makes 10 mill(Bob/Vasil). We are lucky to have a quality goalie who makes half of some of the top goalies in which we could use elsewhere. By not having to pay a Bobrovsky and a McDavid easily saves us 9-10 million. That leaves a lot of room to add a quality player to our roster. Say like a Miller? ::D

There is more then one way to skin a cat.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

why. Where's the pressure to do that before the season starts?

That pressure- comes from being a good team mate and loyal organizational player.

signing earlier gives the team more time and ability to concentrate on the other things the team needs to do like:

re-sign their captain.

find a  D man to replace Schenn, Burroughs, and Keeper after this  season

find a D man to replace Meyers at the end of next season

and so on.

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

why. Where's the pressure to do that before the season starts?

I agree but the Miller situation has to be resolved before season starts by October 14th.

Either Vancouver sign him to that 7 year deal in 7.5 -- 8.3 million range ? If not deal is signed soon trade has to be made?

Vancouver don't want Miller distraction talks all season.. Also Miller camp might not want any distractions during season?

Can you imagine being in close playoff run and have to move Miller at trade deadline..

Canucks need to get a return on this valuable asset if they are not resigning him..

Good RD man under 25 future # 2 -- roster player top 9 -- draft pick 2nd rounder depending on quality of players in deal.

12 minutes ago, gurn said:

That pressure- comes from being a good team mate and loyal organizational player.

signing earlier gives the team more time and ability to concentrate on the other things the team needs to do like:

re-sign their captain.

find a  D man to replace Schenn, Burroughs, and Keeper after this  season

find a D man to replace Meyers at the end of next season

and so on.

Bo hasn't signed yet. 

8 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I agree but the Miller situation has to be resolved before season starts by October 14th.

Either Vancouver sign him to that 7 year deal in 7.5 -- 8.3 million range ? If not deal is signed soon trade has to be made?

Vancouver don't want Miller distraction talks all season.. Also Miller camp might not want any distractions during season?

Can you imagine being in close playoff run and have to move Miller at trade deadline..

Canucks need to get a return on this valuable asset if they are not resigning him..

Good RD man under 25 future # 2 -- roster player top 9 -- draft pick 2nd rounder depending on quality of players in deal.

I would have to think there's a final discussion going on now or soon to happen before JT gets to camp. I would guess JR/PA would prefer to get some clarity and work on new systems with the team in place for the year. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, gurn said:

Yeah, that was my point

Miller done sooner gives more time and focus to the other holes in the team.

its not on Miller to worry about when Bo signs, or any other moves. Thats not a fair position to put him in. 

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

its not on Miller to worry about when Bo signs, or any other moves. Thats not a fair position to put him in. 

When you were young, did someone mistakenly tell you life was fair?

That can be a big handicap, in your day to day life. :)