The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

8 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I dare say Bo at 3rd line C is the logical option for Boudreau if he is going to roll 3 deep centres and I don't think Bo will be willing to stomach being relegated in a contract year after giving everything he has to this team from the day he was drafted.

That relegation will affect his bargaining power but also kind of shows him what management and coaching think of his abilities.  

Ya this will be an unpopular take but I really don't care, it's a slap in the face to a proud athlete not a glowing endorsement of rolling 3 deep centres.

Someone mentioned it best that Bo belongs in the top 6 and this team needs a real 3c as much as it needs an RHD

if both miller and bo heads into the season without a contract.. and boudreau decides to roll 3 lines deep and both miller and bo have reduced offensive minutes/pp depending on whatever they do with it and have a drop in offense.. and their production this year is used against them if it drops in negotiation i can see the negotiation go south real quick... 2 of your top players in a contract year getting their opportunity spread out to others coz they want to "spread" the offense.. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Again, we addressed a couple of those (many) things. This year's team, minus those few changes, still has most of those issues. So no, it's not speculation. Those issues still need addressing.

Well the offseason isn’t over yet but I would say a lot more has been done than you claim.

The D needs work yes, but the addition of Rathbone, a healthy Poolman, and a possible De Haan signing could go a long ways. Saying those three couldn’t make a difference is speculation.

Also how well OEL could play with Hughes could completely change the makeup of our D.

As for a legit shutdown center that is Horvat. Boudreau has basically said he wants to go Miller, Petey, Horvat down the middle. So that is not an issue.

There isn’t any team without question marks. You act like all of our question marks are not going to pan out.

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

if both miller and bo heads into the season without a contract.. and boudreau decides to roll 3 lines deep and both miller and bo have reduced offensive minutes/pp depending on whatever they do with it and have a drop in offense.. and their production this year is used against them if it drops in negotiation i can see the negotiation go south real quick... 2 of your top players in a contract year getting their opportunity spread out to others coz they want to "spread" the offense.. 

Well if both of them want to win then they should be happy to have their minutes reduced on different nights.

You can’t win in the Pacific without conserving minutes. We’ve seen it year after year with injuries.

They’ll still get their cushy powerplay time playing with a ton of talent. I’m sure their production will be fine. Bo finally has talented wingers to play with after all.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well if both of them want to win then they should be happy to have their minutes reduced on different nights.

You can’t win in the Pacific without conserving minutes. We’ve seen it year after year with injuries.

They’ll still get their cushy powerplay time playing with a ton of talent. I’m sure their production will be fine. Bo finally has talented wingers to play with after all.

ya i don't see them being happy with reduced min on their contract year .. all players want to win.. they want to win while getting paid.. if they care about winning only and not their contracts. they would have signed a team friendly contract by now.. any reduction in production because of spread out mins will probably be used against them in negotiation if contract is not done before the season and if they are not traded at the TDL. 

20 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Here's an Islander blogger's take on it ....... ( jump to 2:11 to miss the guff)

A first and spare parts won’t get it done. 
its probably why it fell apart lou lam want to send b grade prospects a veteran #6 dman and a first. 
for miller and schenn with salary retained.

probably why he got mad at the draft when van wouldn’t accept his garbage offer. So he added …. More D just what the offence needed. 

• Cheers 2

58 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well the offseason isn’t over yet but I would say a lot more has been done than you claim.

The D needs work yes, but the addition of Rathbone, a healthy Poolman, and a possible De Haan signing could go a long ways. Saying those three couldn’t make a difference is speculation.

Also how well OEL could play with Hughes could completely change the makeup of our D.

We still need one, or preferably two (not I'll fitting), top 4 RHD at some point soon to replace Myers/Schenn.  Not speculation.

As for a legit shutdown center that is Horvat. Boudreau has basically said he wants to go Miller, Petey, Horvat down the middle. So that is not an issue.

Horvat is neither a shut down, nor the 3C I actually stated.  It's also not sustainable to retain those 3 at C.

There isn’t any team without question marks. You act like all of our question marks are not going to pan out.

Who said anything about not having question marks? These are actual structural and succession issues with the team, not what ifs about 'x player' having a good season.  We're not going to "pan out" in to more organizational depth or a top 4 RHD. You actually have to do something to fix those issues.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, combover said:

A first and spare parts won’t get it done. 
its probably why it fell apart lou lam want to send b grade prospects a veteran #6 dman and a first. 
for miller and schenn with salary retained.

probably why he got mad at the draft when van wouldn’t accept his garbage offer. So he added …. More D just what the offence needed. 

I think it was Myers but I have zero facts.

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

I highly doubt that myself. Once the young buck, 29 year old star Canuck player is a rockin and a rollin in camp, the world of rumors will dematerialize and the 

team can get ready to make a serious run at the playoffs. The young core needs a run to the playoffs, and all the excitement that goes with it. 

Grows character, don't yah know. 

That will not happen as Vancouver will be in playoff race again come trade deadline?? Oh oh if we don'y trade hime then he can walk and we get no return??

Miller must be signed by Vancouver or traded by Vancouver before season starts?

Miller can't walk next summer like Johnny Canuck in Calgary...

Signing or trade has to get done less then 6 weeks..

Management better not wait long as Miller camp can say stop negotiations during season..

Miller will want another big season and no distractions.. Miller will get bignext summer with big season?

7 yrs X 8.8 to 9.5 million..Maybe more?

2 hours ago, shiznak said:

People are fine with Miller producing at a 50-60 points rate, at 8-9m, but want to quickly get rid of a 30-40 points guy making 3m. 

Oh the irony.

I think it's more getting rid of Pearson because he actually has trade value and his cap space can be used to re-sign both Miller and Horvat.  I don't think anyone has stated to get rid of Pearson because he doesn't produce or is overpaid.  If that was the case he would be untradeable like Dickinson...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

ya i don't see them being happy with reduced min on their contract year .. all players want to win.. they want to win while getting paid.. if they care about winning only and not their contracts. they would have signed a team friendly contract by now.. any reduction in production because of spread out mins will probably be used against them in negotiation if contract is not done before the season and if they are not traded at the TDL. 

Or maybe they both put up huge points because they’re fresher each game?

We’ll have to wait and see. More minutes doesn’t always necessarily equal more points. 

16 minutes ago, Muttley said:

No one is giving him that. Not us not anyone. However, he is more valuable to the Canucks moving forward as the team progresses the next three or four years.

So what is the magical number for Miller to re-sign with the Canucks?

44 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think it's more getting rid of Pearson because he actually has trade value and his cap space can be used to re-sign both Miller and Horvat.  I don't think anyone has stated to get rid of Pearson because he doesn't produce or is overpaid.  If that was the case he would be untradeable like Dickinson...

This is very realistic viewpoint. Pearson has value and is a good role player. This could open up 3.25 for next season. If we were to buyout Dickinson next off-season the cap hit would only be 485K I believe. We would save over 2 million. Then we could direct our attention to trading Myers, could be attractive with only a year left on his deal and teams may be hesitant to spend on long term deals. That would give us more than enough to resign Bo, Miller, Kuzmenko (if he performs well) and maybe look to Ufa for a value contract for a right D.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Or maybe they both put up huge points because they’re fresher each game?

We’ll have to wait and see. More minutes doesn’t always necessarily equal more points. 

less mins doesn't = fresher doesn't = more points either.. if that's the case then players would be scoring more the beginning of the season than late in the season and score more in the first 2 periods than they would later in the game. their pts/60 is pretty similar the last few seasons so unless they magically boost that number up more mins = more chance = more points. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We both know that he would bring more than just 50-60 points.

That’s like saying Bo isn’t much more valuable than a third liner.

8 million for a player that plays in all situations and is a leader in the room is not the worst thing. We could live with that deal if we got 3 or 4 really productive years out of it.

We don’t know that.  If he declines right on the average rate…. He will be a below replacement level player long before a max term contract is done.

50-60 points at 35 years old (by the end of his 4th year on an extension) would be a remarkable achievement that few players manage.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

If he were willing to take anything resembling 7x7 or less the deal would likely be done by now 

Don't see how he gets the same or less than Kadri 

funny to think anyone that still have their sanity after being in this thread 1220+ pages later to think Miller will come in anywhere remotely close to 7mil

• Cheers 2