The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

2 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Matt Sekeres writes an article about how JT Miller is handling things like a true pro.  Oh man that's going to cause a few posters brains to short circuit!  Do I hate this because it's Matt Sekeres or do I love it because of all the great things said about JT?

HAHA! Love it!

Hahahah yesss

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Plenty of people picked the Rangers to make the playoffs -- and when they did, plenty also picked them to make the ECF.

Plenty also picked us to make the playoffs last year as well! If sorted out our coaching and specialty teams issues sooner, they probably would have done the same for us. 

6 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Ooooo, but the playoff experience is soooooooo valuable 

Xavier GIF by Big Brother

You’re speaking as a fan.

For a second, imagine yourself in a pro player’s position. They don’t just spend their whole lives dedicated to just making the show to earn the paycheck. If they have the drive to make it to the NHL level, it’s because they are competitive and want to win.

It’s engrained as part of their ego and an aspect they want to claim as their legacy - champion.

I know you want this team to succeed, but getting there goes hand in hand with providing the potential to accommodate what I’ve mentioned above.

Don’t treat it like it’s insignificant because it’s not to a pro athlete.

4 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Matt Sekeres writes an article about how JT Miller is handling things like a true pro.  Oh man that's going to cause a few posters brains to short circuit!  Do I hate this because it's Matt Sekeres or do I love it because of all the great things said about JT?

HAHA! Love it!

I hate Matt Sekeres with a passion. Even though I love Miller, I’m not wasting my time reading what he has to say. He has got to be the most arrogant guy out there. I also get so annoyed listening to his nasal sounds when he talks!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Koko and Morrow would actually be an excellent return for Miller.  

Stop feeding the geese JR.  

Time to get ‘er done! :frantic:

I'm pretty sure I saw you at Stanley Park the other day.  You had a bottle of vodka in your hands and some sunflower seeds.  What were you doing there Alfie?  -_-

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Plenty of people picked the Rangers to make the playoffs -- and when they did, plenty also picked them to make the ECF.

If you do a quick google search of 2021-2022 predictions (from the beginning of the year) these are the first two articles you get.

https://www.nhl.com/news/stanley-cup-picks-for-2021-22/c-326685518

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-predictions-standings-stanley-cup-awards-2021-22/

That's a fairly large sample size of peoples predictions and not much if any love for the Rags

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Plenty also picked us to make the playoffs last year as well! If sorted out our coaching and specialty teams issues sooner, they probably would have done the same for us. 

How many outside of CDC were picking us to make it? I remember the consensus being Vegas, Edmonton, Calgary, and LA.

I agree we probably make it if we started the year with Bruce -- but I still don't think we have a defense capable of going on a deep run.

33 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

This is Bennings thought process that has left us in the position we are in now. Squeezing into the playoffs and losing Miller for free is worst case scenario in my eyes, bottom line. A first, hell even a second round exit is worth nothing long term if Miller doesn't get utilized as an asset, whether that's sign or trade.

But but…playoff experience 

:P

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

If you do a quick google search of 2021-2022 predictions (from the beginning of the year) these are the first two articles you get.

https://www.nhl.com/news/stanley-cup-picks-for-2021-22/c-326685518

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-predictions-standings-stanley-cup-awards-2021-22/

That's a fairly large sample size of peoples predictions and not much if any love for the Rags

Surprisingly bad predictions from them. Maybe it's just hesitation to pick the Rangers because they missed the year before. The Isles were destined to decline, it's weird seeing so many pick them to be 1st.

Either way, I don't think we're at the same level as NYR -- and I agree with your point about not wanting management to gamble our future.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

How many outside of CDC were picking us to make it? I remember the consensus being Vegas, Edmonton, Calgary, and LA.

I agree we probably make it if we started the year with Bruce -- but I still don't think we have a defense capable of going on a deep run.

I heard quite a few of those guys on 650 saying they would make the playoffs. I don’t remember anyone saying LA was going to get in. 

I’ve said this before, overall team defence is more important than the one defender. Given our coaching being addressed, so shall this. Guys like Poolman can look like superstars when the team works well within a proper system.

3 hours ago, mll said:

6 months is mid-February - ie 2 months before the end of the season.   They can't really use up his 7M other than a temporary fix as they'll need the 7M to activate him off LTIR before the end of the season.

A torn Achilles isn't a 6 month injury.  It's more like 8-10 months.  Leonardo Spinazzola, the Italian star player on Euro 2020 who blew out his Achilles during the tournament, was out over 9 months with the same injury.

Kevin Durant, the basketball superstar, was out almost a year.  Kobe Bryant was out 8 months.  Most basketball players who have torn their Achilles have been out at least 9 months...

What Kevin Durant’s Injury Means For KD, The Finals And Free Agency | FiveThirtyEight

Not sure about hockey as skating puts less pressure on the Achilles than running or jumping.  Pacioretty is also on the older side, so I could see him easily be out until the playoffs start...

6 minutes ago, BPA said:

I mean you joke but its actually true.

Look at any cup winner and you’ll see players they let walk for nothing. Difference being they had a core they knew could win and kept building around them.

3 minutes ago, BPA said:

Yeah it’s not like the winning teams, or at least the ones making a concerted effort,  have a problem attracting the better players. 

If you and @Gawdzukes are willing to wait 5-6 years to hopefully have created another “window” then all the power to you. Given what we have on the roster right now, I think the better play is to aim for 2-3 and if it doesn’t transpire, then the real longterm rebuild begins.

it’ll be a long while, and involve a lot of chance, that we evolve into the next TB or COL. We’re a CDN team too, btw, which is another battle altogether in assembling the right cast.

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Yeah it’s not like the winning teams, or at least the ones making a concerted effort,  have a problem attracting the better players. 

If you and @Gawdzukes are willing to wait 5-6 years to hopefully have created another “window” then all the power to you. Given what we have on the roster right now, I think the better play is to aim for 2-3 and if it doesn’t transpire, then the real longterm rebuild begins.

it’ll be a long while, and involve a lot of chance, that we evolve into the next TB or COL. We’re a CDN team too, btw, which is another battle altogether in assembling the right cast.

What if we don't make the playoffs this year even with Miller? It's not like making the playoffs means we'll just automatically win a cup in 3 or 4 years or something. It's not some all or nothing play. I don't think any GM in his right mind is purposely burning an asset like Miller just for a one and done shot at the playoff's. JR has certainly said as much. What happens next year then? My belief is also building for 2-3 years which makes this years results completely unimportant in comparison to building the team up.

I find it absolutely hilarious how the goalposts have moved from JT is the be all end all of the Canucks future and worth any contract he wants to losing him for nothing is fine because making the playoffs is our new holy grail.

Congratulations ... you've just become the Vancouver Maple Leafs. :picard:

Edited by Gawdzukes

13 minutes ago, RWJC said:

5-6 years until they could reach true contender status........and that's going to be with or without Miller, imo.  Once you start regularly making the playoffs, it takes multiple runs to get to the point where you're a top 4 contender.

• Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I heard quite a few of those guys on 650 saying they would make the playoffs. I don’t remember anyone saying LA was going to get in. 

I’ve said this before, overall team defence is more important than the one defender. Given our coaching being addressed, so shall this. Guys like Poolman can look like superstars when the team works well within a proper system.

I don't think any coach can make Poolman look like a superstar :lol:, but they could make him look competent.

Maybe the guys on 650 were just trying to create some excitement. It always felt to me like we were an underdog to make the playoffs given how the bubble season went. I think Bruce gives us a chance at making it, but his impressive run has likely increased some people's expectations to an unrealistic level.

I'd hate for management to think we're contenders, and keep Miller as a self rental, only to lose him in the offseason after a first or second round exit. Can't repeat the same mistake Calgary made with Gaudreau.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

A torn Achilles isn't a 6 month injury.  It's more like 8-10 months.  Leonardo Spinazzola, the Italian star player on Euro 2020 who blew out his Achilles during the tournament, was out over 9 months with the same injury.

Kevin Durant, the basketball superstar, was out almost a year.  Kobe Bryant was out 8 months.  Most basketball players who have torn their Achilles have been out at least 9 months...

What Kevin Durant’s Injury Means For KD, The Finals And Free Agency | FiveThirtyEight

Not sure about hockey as skating puts less pressure on the Achilles than running or jumping.  Pacioretty is also on the older side, so I could see him easily be out until the playoffs start...

Maybe their timeline is too ambitious but it's Carolina that announced 6 months which suggests a return before the end of the season.

Duclair in Florida injured his Achille's in the off-season and had surgery in early July.  Florida didn't give a timeline other than say he will back mid-season ie they don't expect him out all season either - his injury was about 5 weeks before Pacioretty's.

From Carolina's press release:  Don Waddell, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that forward Max Pacioretty will undergo surgery to repair a torn Achilles. The procedure will be performed by Dr. Kevin Logel at Raleigh Orthopaedic on Wednesday. Pacioretty's expected recovery time is six months.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

Ying:                                                                               Yang

Our team will be better next season                              Lots of teams will be better           

Demko  will be better                                                     Demko will have a good season, but not Vezina calibre     

Our special teams will be better                                     Opposing teams won't play their back up against us as much       

Our younger players will get better                                 Miller won't have another career year, Schenn is older and a bit slower   

25 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I mean you joke but its actually true.

Look at any cup winner and you’ll see players they let walk for nothing. Difference being they had a core they knew could win and kept building around them.

Cup winners let players walk for nothing but hardly those of Miller calibre.  Wouldn’t you agree?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1