The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

59 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

You don’t get the point. I never said this precludes Van from paying up. The discussion was whether other factors would come into play when you sign a big contract and take 1-2M less per year. Plenty of players have done so in the past so I’m not sure why that’s so hard for you to get.

I also never said any of the issues I brought up on their own were “top priority”. Follow along. 

Players care about money, especially players who just had a career year.  Everything else is window dressing

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I'm totally down for futures and cap space if there are no RD's available. We have lots of forwards and a couple years to get where we're going. Unfortunately I don't think JR and Allvin will settle for anything less than a ready or near ready piece.

Agree 100% on Rodriguez as well for 3C if we did that.

Future's yes, I agree. No one is parting with RHDs right now. Some former 1st round picks look really good. Add a draft pick 

AND retain 1M on Miller to sweeten the deal. 4M for a JT Miller for a playoff push. And secure a spot, and for some teams JT could be the difference between getting run over by TB/Col and having a fighting chance.

Our worst case scenario should be getting future's. Guedreau walked I don't want to be in danger of Miller walking, if we wait till the TDL Miller's camp might tell him to holdout for a new bidding war after the season. 

Miller could help us get through 2 rounds of the playoffs but I think our defense corps is too thin to go through all 4 rounds imo.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1

Exactly. To think the only people in North America who enjoy a quality life is in Vancouver is silly. For a grown adult life is mostly what you make of it and that isn't solely dependent on living in Vancouver. If we lived in Eastern Europe or near Russia or something statements like that might have some merit.

Like you I would personally think crossing the border and flying is a big issue, especially for JT's wife during the season and the entire family when they go to Pittsburgh for the summer. Does Natalie really want to be dragging 3 kids through customs all the time?

It all depends on JT's perspective and nobody but he and his family and agent know what that is.

Totally agree. Everyone has their priorities.

Maybe he LOVES ketchup chips? I prefer salt and vinegar chips, sun, and low taxes.

• Cheers 1

Agree 100% on Rodriguez as well for 3C if we did that.

have to wonder why JR/PA haven't done that. Maybe there's a reason we don't know about? I guess he could be waiting for a pay raise but why hasn't anyone come forward with that yet, given that every team can always use another RHC?

17 minutes ago, JM_ said:

have to wonder why JR/PA haven't done that. Maybe there's a reason we don't know about? I guess he could be waiting for a pay raise but why hasn't anyone come forward with that yet, given that every team can always use another RHC?

Yeah we just cannot be relying on Dickinson. :unsure: Maybe they're worried about going over the cap. Aren't we like $750,00 away or something? Possibly thinking of Karlsson or Aman or just a battle in camp ... or maybe they got a LL deal going since they kind of know him. ;) Maybe waiting to trade a winger first ... is it possible to have too many good forwards?

The other thing is perhaps they're thinking either JT gets traded and they'll figure it out then the best they can and/or Bruce is dedicated to running 3 scoring lines with Petey and JT centering a line. I think that actually works.

Edited by Gawdzukes

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah we just cannot be relying on Dickinson. :unsure: Maybe they're worried about going over the cap. Aren't we like $750,00 away or something? Possibly thinking of Karlsson or Aman or just a battle in camp ... or maybe they got a LL deal going since they kind of know him. ;)

The other thing is perhaps they're thinking either JT gets traded and they'll figure it out then the best they can and/or Bruce is dedicated to running 3 scoring lines with Petey and JT centering a line. I think that actually works.

not sure, but Dowlings 750k is currently part of the cap calc and there's about another 750k or so of LTIR so there would be room. Waiving Dowling is a non-issue.

• Cheers 3

6 hours ago, Jester13 said:

From JT's words, he wants to be here and loves playing for the Canucks and the team we're creating. He also said he enjoys the role he plays with us and that it would likely be diminished elsewhere. 7yX8.25AAV hits a dollar amount that he could very well be okay with. 

Something in the mid- to high 50mill range is not some sort of compromise. 

Go watch the podcast with him. He clearly wants to be here and isn't just talking out his arse. What we're seeing is very similar to what we saw with Brock. Both sides were playing a game of brinksmanship, the player comes out multiple times to say how much they want to be here, and then close to the last minute kapow, we signed Brock to something that works for both sides. Miller at eight years is a little much, but Miller at seven years is palatable.

JR has also publicly said that a team having a contract that isn't the most favourable in the latter years is not the end of the world, and most teams have a contract like that, which is why it won't surprise me if we sign him to 7X8.25. Some reports said we're offering him something in the 7m range, so coming up a million'ish and Miller coming down a year is not a unreasonable prediction. 

regardless I’d be more surprised to see miller resigned than traded. 
i be more shocked if miller took less than what he and is agent feel he’d get as a UFA next summer. 
He set his price high 
His alleged contract ask of 9 mill is enough that it’s hurt his trade value and most likely one of the reasons he hasn’t  been moved and a great way of saying I’m going to be a UFA without say I’m going to be UFA .

but I really want to stay with this cap crunched team 

jr/pa could crush all this and simply say he’s not going anywhere we’re not trading him they haven’t. 
They haven’t even said that’s hes a big part of the future of this team like they said about horvat and brock. 
What they have said they’d like to keep him and he’s a great player. - that reads pretty clear to me. 

goodbye JT 

• Cheers 2

So, Miller's agent could possibly tell JR/PA that once the season starts, all contract negotiations are off - to put pressure on them to make a decision. And if the negotiations are on-pause for the season, Miller will be traded at the TDL or he walks. I hope this isn't going to be an awkward season, where Miller knows he's going, just not sure when.

C'mon JR/PA, make a decision and make the trade. JT already said "No" to your offer. 

I'm reading this from Cheyenne, Wyoming. Saw Korn and Evanescence in Denver last night at Ball Arena. Even saw the Stanley Cup banner hanging from the rafters. 

Just noticed the media is running with the "cutting off contract talks" narrative already ... JT's agent simply said it was a possibility. Watch the media shout it from the hilltops that Miller is cutting off talks during the season. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I'm reading this from Cheyenne, Wyoming. Saw Korn and Evanescence in Denver last night at Ball Arena. Even saw the Stanley Cup banner hanging from the rafters. 

Just noticed the media is running with the "cutting off contract talks" narrative already ... JT's agent simply said it was a possibility. Watch the media shout it from the hilltops that Miller is cutting off talks during the season. 

“One question looming is whether or not J.T Miller agent Brian Bartlett will cut off contract talks once the regular season starts, “I have not talked to J.T about that yet but it is a realistic possibility.””

‘Miller told the Dropping the Gloves podcast last week that playing in Vancouver while extension talks are ongoing would be a distraction.”

Take that for what it’s worth, maybe gamemanship, maybe nothing. I think we need a trade soon.

• Cheers 1

In business they say 'your first loss is your best loss,. I think we should do something sooner than later, or have a plan ready before Xmas.  The trade deadline would basically be siyonara like Johnny Hockey. Nobody seems to be budging on RHDs so we should go to a plan B. Plan B being a blue chip prospect or a couple of prospects. (We need to bolster our prospect pool.)

A genuine forward or defensive prospect that is. And add one or two draft picks too. 

It feels like even minor rhd like Mayfield is off the board. But a secondary rhd that I think could help would be Romanov type.

(For us I think we have a couple of rhd prospect that could be close,but one maybe two years away.)

Although the team is preaching patience,  I worry about getting painted into a corner with JTs contract talks.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

“One question looming is whether or not J.T Miller agent Brian Bartlett will cut off contract talks once the regular season starts, “I have not talked to J.T about that yet but it is a realistic possibility.””

‘Miller told the Dropping the Gloves podcast last week that playing in Vancouver while extension talks are ongoing would be a distraction.”

Take that for what it’s worth, maybe gamemanship, maybe nothing. I think we need a trade soon.

Probably gamesmanship, but I can see JT being pissy about not having a contract entering the season. If negotiations are closed off, then yeah, might as well trade him now and get the best offer we can before his fits and pissy-ness becomes a distraction for the rest of the team. 

17 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

It has occurred to me that all my stress worrying about losing JT for peanuts could simply be because I'm not used to our team having competent management who know what the heck they're doing and how to play that contract game. The days of telegraphing trades, needs, hopes and dreams to the 31 other GM's appear to be over. Harder on fans but hopefully the payoff will be well worth it..

God I can only hope. :(

Why is management getting all this praise? They came in guns a blazing and all they have done is trade hamonic and sign some UFA’s 

I don’t get it, Jim benning could have made that trade or signings 

• Cheers 3