The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

56 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I don't think there was any mention of a "Great" defensive player only that he actually played defense such as checking and playing on the PK. The Sedins never came off the top line or killed any penalties. Could you see them playing on the third or fourth lines? that was the argument.

actually there are a few here that's talking about he's so good defensively hence he got the 1 or 2 random selke participation vote lol. and the sedins were relatively productive near the end of their career they were still producing at 50-60 points good enough for a 2nd line role.. because their game tbh never relied on the speed so i'm not quite sure what the people here are talking about saying the sedins were useless once they became slow.. they were literally slow the entire career.. meanwhile Miller relies on his speed to be effective.. once father time catches up and he loses a step will he be effective in a 3rd or 4th line role as a checking/shutdown guy? my guess is no unless he changes his game and become more engage defensively rather than just being there.

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

actually there are a few here that's talking about he's so good defensively hence he got the 1 or 2 random selke participation vote lol. and the sedins were relatively productive near the end of their career they were still producing at 50-60 points good enough for a 2nd line role.. because their game tbh never relied on the speed so i'm not quite sure what the people here are talking about saying the sedins were useless once they became slow.. they were literally slow the entire career.. meanwhile Miller relies on his speed to be effective.. once father time catches up and he loses a step will he be effective in a 3rd or 4th line role as a checking/shutdown guy? my guess is no unless he changes his game and become more engage defensively rather than just being there.

Despite the big blunders here and there, his defensive stats were excellent this year

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

but if they are getting hurt on the job, they shouldn't be penalized, just some like you state have a history of always being off, which makes it frustrating for the fans, teammates, gm, coach, owner etc

That's a whole can of worms they don't want to open though. Then you will have guys just playing not to get hurt. It's also not really fair for a freak injury like Bo last year. I agree though there should be some combination where part of your pay is dependent on if you are actually playing ... and even playing up to acceptable standards.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

That's a whole can of worms they don't want to open though. Then you will have guys just playing not to get hurt. It's also not really fair for a freak injury like Bo last year. I agree though there should be some combination where part of your pay is dependent on if you are actually playing ... and even playing up to acceptable standards.

Would not be surprised to see the NHL try for a NFL styled contract. 

32 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Yeah I don't think his defense is that good, LOL. I just think he would be better as an aging vet then the Sedins. His ability to throw checks, kill penalties, skate adequately, take face offs and provide leadership will allow him to work his way down the line up and still be effective.

I think with the Sedins when they lost their skating quickness they also lost the ability to do other things quickly. They were so quick at times that people thought they had eyes in the back of their heads. Once that ability to make plays like that waned, they had a hard time being effective. 

I really wished they had been moved down the line up and split up later in their careers. Their intelligence(hockey sense) along with stronger and faster line mates would have been fun to watch.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Owners could try all they want, but that would be a definitive non-starter for the PA and almost certainly lead to a work stoppage. 

I'm not arguing the merits of the idea, just that the PA would consider that an unacceptable position.

44 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I would be all for it. I mean yah these guys have shortened careers and put their bodies on the line but they are rewarded incredibly well for it. If you're not living up to your contract there should be consequences and like the rest of the people you have to deliver at least a level of acceptable performance to keep your job. There should be a happy medium where a certain amount is guaranteed but if you're not playing well enough where the team doesn't want you, you're gone.

I like how in the NFL if a team has soured on you and you don't fit into their plans the just cut you and they don't spend years with the owners and fans hating the very players they are paying and don't want playing. That's just bloody silly and weakens the league. If you're good enough to play you get a contract that reflects that.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Owners could try all they want, but that would be a definitive non-starter for the PA and almost certainly lead to a work stoppage. 

I'm not arguing the merits of the idea, just that the PA would consider that an unacceptable position.

Like someone else mentioned the NHLPA got completely hosed last time but yeah you're right they would rail against it. There has to be some reason is flies in the NFL though. Perhaps their setup has contingencies to alleviate that consequence for the players. They must have there own union there as well.

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

I have been commenting on JT's weak defence since he came to the team. You can ask my dad ... we watch all the games together. :P

JT's favorite play: The other team's 3 forwards break out against our two D. JT is right there at center ice following the 3rd skater. Instead of catching his man which he can easily do and defending goal side he purposely skates 1-3 feet behind his mark, hoping for a missed pass, a bobble, or a stick lift where he can go the other way with a free extra man situation. Sure it works sometimes but damn is that frustrating as a teammate when you're in a one goal game and JT's man skates in uncontested for an easy goal to completely change momentum.

Edited by Gawdzukes

4 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Does that mean we are trading Miller for another center who will wear #9 as well?

Trade Miller so Petey won't use him as a crutch and be forced to learn the C position. Petey resumes his scoring pace and his d-side game makes him a 1C even if his FO % is a shade less than 50%. Petey is the future not JT. :ph34r: Trade Miller for a RD ++

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Trade Miller so Petey won't use him as a crutch and be forced to learn the C position. Petey resumes his scoring pace and his d-side game makes him a 1C even if his FO % is a shade less than 50%. Petey is the future not JT. :ph34r: Trade Miller for a RD ++

No one’s trading right D’s right now. If there was one available we probably would have made a trade by now.

Allvin needs to hold out for Schneider, Morrow, or Clarke. Wait for a team to get desperate (maybe after a slow start). We know Millers value, we’re not giving away our best player unless a top prospect is coming back.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

So basically what most folks expected if Miller were still to be around come camp. 

I understand the allure of having Pettersson, Horvat, and Miller down the middle for some but it doesn't seem realistic long term as all three will want top six ice time. I reckon it won't take long for someone to be shifted to the wing for that reason. Horvat is also miscast as a shutdown center and I'm still of the opinion that we need a legitimate 3C. Problem is those shutdown guys are very much in demand around the league.  

Guess we'll see what happens, but none of what's reported here should surprise anyone who's been paying attention. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No one’s trading right D’s right now. If there was one available we probably would have made a trade by now.

Allvin needs to hold out for Schneider, Morrow, or Clarke. Wait for a team to get desperate (maybe after a slow start). We know Millers value, we’re not giving away our best player unless a top prospect is coming back.

Exactly. I suspect there are willing trade partners just not at the value PA wants. Totally agree with you that the Canucks have to get back what is needed or the waiting game continues.  

• Cheers 1