The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

and why bother then? I'd rather keep him for one more playoff run.

Off to find some green beer now, thanks for the yap. 

Id like to watch playoffs, no doubt, but if they get the right offer they need to move him, regardless of playoffs........which is going to be a very tough goal to reach as it's likely Edmonton they're going to have to catch

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

Id like to watch playoffs, no doubt, but if they get the right offer they need to move him, regardless of playoffs........which is going to be a very tough goal to reach as it's likely Edmonton they're going to have to catch

Playoffs will hurt.

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

but we'll be paying someone at least 7 mil to replace what he brings. We need to look at the opportunity cost of the difference between Miller and someone else, not just Millers salary alone. 

There you go again, trying to replace Miller :P No, we don't (can't) spend $7m trying to sign a Miller-Lite. We spend $2.5m-$3.5m signing a Tierney, Paul or Sturm 3C to help shore up our C depth, have a guy that can PK and shoulder some of the match up load, hence freeing up Bo a bit for more offense. The young core will have to continue to improve and slowly "replace" him over time.

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

I also wonder if we don't re-sign Miller, or someone like him, does Bo plan to stick around?

I don't see Bo hanging around waiting for another 2-3 years. 

"Waiting" for what? With the right returns and subsequent moves, there's zero reason we can't still be a bubble playoff team next year. 

"Bo, we're going to sign a really good 3C to take on more match up and PK and help free you up. We've also got a couple of young, fast, skilled D we just go back in trade to improve our transition game out of our own end and get you forwards the puck more. Speaking of forwards, we added a couple young, fast W'ers to contribute in the middle 6, one or two of whome we think will fit really nice on your wing. Sound good?"

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Lol Miller's Agent and the Bartlett Group :lol:

Miller played himself out of a trade but GD he priced himself out of staying too

Screenshot_20220317-171030.png

His agent is gonna go balls to the wall in the off-season and he should with how Miller's playing.

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

I think thats where the keep Miller and trade Miller camps really depart, is on the back 1/2 of the mega deal. Could we move him to whoever the bottom feeder team is at that point? maybe. 

We may also just end up keeping him for one more year. Next year he'll be super-motived if we don't extend him so thats not the worst thing to have either. 

Unless we get a really great return, I'd rather just hang on to him.

At the end of the day I'm pretty sure Rutherford would like to get him resigned. He'll only move him if he gets the type of return that makes it worth it to us or he's sure Miller won't resign. 

• Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

At the end of the day I'm pretty sure Rutherford would like to get him resigned. He'll only move him if he gets the type of return that makes it worth it to us or he's sure Miller won't resign. 

yup.

What really worries me is are we trading our "Pavelski"? SJS haven't been the same since they lost the heart of that team. 

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

yup.

What really worries me is are we trading our "Pavelski"? SJS haven't been the same since they lost the heart of that team. 

Was it Pavelski leaving or Karlsson joining that ruined the Sharks? :lol:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

yup.

They also jettisoned Jumbo Joe which I'm sure didn't help. They were clearly grooming Couture but then removed the entire old leadership group at almost the same time (also lost Marleau for a while). One big difference is that Miller isn't the captain, Horvat is (maybe Horvat is actually our Pavelski and Miller is our Couture disregarding their ages).

There are some interesting comparisons though between the Sharks and the Canucks. Meier = Boeser, Hertl = Petey, Couture = Miller (though Miller is outperforming this year). They lack a Horvat in this scenario, unless you want to say Couture is a rich man's Horvat and they lack a Miller.

The Sharks much bigger issue is their defense and goaltending though. Impact wise, Burns, Karlsson, and Vlasic are probably about equally as effective as Hughes, OEL, and Myers but the Sharks trio takes up an extra 5.4M AAV. That's an extra top 4 defenseman or top 6 forward. 

Ultimately, if the Canucks do trade away Miller the leadership loss, while a factor, won't be felt as much as Pavelski's was because I believe we still have other core leadership pieces that the Sharks didn't.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Lost tonight...

for-sale-real-estate-sign-vector-id11611

Yeah. It kind of feels that way doesn't it? They needed to have an excellent homestand, but they're okay after the loss tonight, no? Ok isn't going to get it done. I think management probably needs to start selling for future pieces at this stage. They're close, but the math apparently is not in their favour. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. It kind of feels that way doesn't it? They needed to have an excellent homestand, but they're okay after the loss tonight, no? Ok isn't going to get it done. I think management probably needs to start selling for future pieces at this stage. They're close, but the math apparently is not in their favour. 

I'm all for letting the boys see what they could do up to the TDL...but anyone with eyes should be able to see that this team isn't built to contend yet.

So get at. Get building.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm all for letting the boys see what they could do up to the TDL...but anyone with eyes should be able to see that this team isn't built to contend yet.

So get at. Get building.

Nah, not built to contend, still a fringe playoff team. Probs be the same next season, but at least we should be in the mix.

Rest of the month we get maybe one gimme in Buffalo, but I wouldn't be surprised if they knocked us down too after watching us play tonight. 

We get Calgary, St. Louis x2, Colorado, Dallas, and Minnesota over the remainder of the month, and I'm not expecting us to roll over Calgary again let alone any of the others. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Trade block

Available: 

Boeser 

Dickinson 

Myers 

Poolman

hamonic

Chaisson

Pearson