The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

6 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I always love the spend elsewhere part.  Like Louie Player Name, Tucker Poolman, Jason Dickinson, Jay Beagle, Antoine Russell. Oh thats just JB.  How about Kyle Okoposo, Andrew Ladd, David Backes, Frans Nielsen, Milan Lucic, Troy Brouwer, Philip Grubauer, Blake Coleman, Sergei Bobrovsky, Gustav Nyquis, etc...

Its nice to have cap space to resign your own players, but man oh man you think the draft is a crap shoot.  Free agency has been absolutely brutal in the cap era.  

Think about it, is JT worth 9 million at 60 points???? or is it better to have a 2 late first round picks that amount to Peter Schaefer and Harold Druken and sprinkle in some Josh Holden and Nathan Smith.  With the cap space you sign up Louie Player Name and Ryan Dzingle.  Boom baby ASSETS MANAGEMENT!!!

Its a risk either way.  People seem to be missing that point.  Its not just you get nothing if he walks.  You may get nothing if you trade him too.  I would rather risk it with a guy who is the heart and soul of the team then some free agents getting fat contracts and calling it a day and a bag of magic beans.

Well said

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I always love the spend elsewhere part.  Like Louie Player Name, Tucker Poolman, Jason Dickinson, Jay Beagle, Antoine Russell. Oh thats just JB.  How about Kyle Okoposo, Andrew Ladd, David Backes, Frans Nielsen, Milan Lucic, Troy Brouwer, Philip Grubauer, Blake Coleman, Sergei Bobrovsky, Gustav Nyquis, etc...

Its nice to have cap space to resign your own players, but man oh man you think the draft is a crap shoot.  Free agency has been absolutely brutal in the cap era.  

Think about it, is JT worth 9 million at 60 points???? or is it better to have a 2 late first round picks that amount to Peter Schaefer and Harold Druken and sprinkle in some Josh Holden and Nathan Smith.  With the cap space you sign up Louie Player Name and Ryan Dzingle.  Boom baby ASSETS MANAGEMENT!!!

Its a risk either way.  People seem to be missing that point.  Its not just you get nothing if he walks.  You may get nothing if you trade him too.  I would rather risk it with a guy who is the heart and soul of the team then some free agents getting fat contracts and calling it a day and a bag of magic beans.

But what if you got Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan McCabe, and Jarkko Rutto or Brendan Morrison and Dennis Petterson?

Edited by Chris12345
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Has management, or the league come up with a penalty for “SULKING” yet?

Seems like there are a lot of posters here who would like to see one.

The fact is the game needs more choir , and mommas boys..  hey if the fans demand it, they have to have it.

Next we should duct tape players mouths in the ice,  and leave their emotions at home.. where they belong..

especially with this team, perhaps they’d play better as lifeless zombies, tanking into a decent a good draft pick..  

which seems to be more important than driving as deep into the playoffs for that experience that our young core needs.

There have been many teams that have given UFAs a decent contract, after that player has established himself with that team with seasons of work with them.

Its a calculated risk,  a lot of UFA’s have responded well , and if not putting up points,  offer some fantastic leadership to a rising youthful core.

I beleive Miller is an outlier.. and if his emotions are on his sleeve, and they are, is easy to know that his head and heart will remain in the game.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

But what if you got Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan McCabe, and Jarkko Rutto or Brendan Morrison and Dennis Petterson?

That’s not going to happen again.

not in this day and age.

but that seems to be where a lot of posters on here are at ,    1980 ish.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

That’s not going to happen again.

not in this day and age.

but that seems to be where a lot of posters on here are at ,    1980 ish.

You say that with such certainty...

Getting assets is better than having JT walk at the end of 2023 OR overpaying him into his mid 30s. Picks/Prospects are far from sure things but they are better than overpaid mid-30s players or having a top player walk for nothing. Don't you agree we would have been better off without 6x6 to LE? Or if we were able to trade Hamhuis or Tanev or Edler at the trade deadline?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I wouldn't. We've been doing that for 30 years with no success. I want to emulate teams who create an over abundance of talent in this very same way. Selling high, accumulate wealth and invest that capital when the time is right. This fanbase needs to exercise some patience for once.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

You say that with such certainty...

Getting assets is better than having JT walk at the end of 2023 OR overpaying him into his mid 30s. Picks/Prospects are far from sure things but they are better than overpaid mid-30s players or having a top player walk for nothing. Don't you agree we would have been better off without 6x6 to LE? Or if we were able to trade Hamhuis or Tanev or Edler at the trade deadline?

Call me crazy but I'd rather have a Tyler Motte than a LE. 

Interesting that Motte could get traded for an asset and he was acquired for nothing. Asset management.

12 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I wouldn't. We've been doing that for 30 years with no success. I want to emulate teams who create an over abundance of talent in this very same way. Selling high, accumulate wealth and invest that capital when the time is right. This fanbase needs to exercise some patience for once.

Exactly. Buy low, sell high. Repeat.

I love Linden but that's one hell of a trade tree that ended with JB.

Heart and soul makes a great Disney movie.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Call me crazy but I'd rather have a Tyler Motte than a LE. 

Interesting that Motte could get traded for an asset and he was acquired for nothing. Asset management.

I wouldn't say nothing, Vanek played well when he was here. If anything it should've been Motte PLUS a mid-late pick. Hopefully management circles back to Motte during FA season if his price tag isn't too high

Edited by filthycanuck
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, stawns said:

Miller was also part of the team JB was trying to build with Miller, Ferland, Sutter, Roussel, Beagle etc etc etc.  The intent was good, but injuries derailed that team........I don't think MIller was ever seen as part of the young core team emerging

Yeah, I don't think management here or even TB expected Miller to be a 90pt guy. Right place, right time, and he's gonna get paid

5 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Yeah, I don't think management here or even TB expected Miller to be a 90pt guy. Right place, right time, and he's gonna get paid

It’s good for JT, in all honestly. From his vantage point, things couldn’t have worked out better. He was given the right opportunity to really truly break out here in Vancouver. But the questions for me are still is this current level of play worth what he will be paid for the next 3-4, maybe even 5 years?

I’m not so sure. I want Miller to be able to, but I just can’t say it for certain. Most players decline when they start entering their 30’s. And yes, there are exceptions to the rule, is Miller the exception? If so, what makes him the exception and not the rule?

It really sucks, this situation with JT. But I get the sense that management has a plan, and they know what they’re doing. I think this trade deadline would be the time to really maximize JT’s full value, but if you don’t have a buyer, then nothing management can do. Wait until the Summer? I guess, but his value drops a little more than if he was traded now, no? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

It’s good for JT, in all honestly. From his vantage point, things couldn’t have worked out better. He was given the right opportunity to really truly break out here in Vancouver. But the questions for me are still is this current level of play worth what he will be paid for the next 3-4, maybe even 5 years?

I’m not so sure. I want Miller to be able to, but I just can’t say it for certain. Most players decline when they start entering their 30’s. And yes, there are exceptions to the rule, is Miller the exception? If so, what makes him the exception and not the rule?

It really sucks, this situation with JT. But I get the sense that management has a plan, and they know what they’re doing. I think this trade deadline would be the time to really maximize JT’s full value, but if you don’t have a buyer, then nothing management can do. Wait until the Summer? I guess, but his value drops a little more than if he was traded now, no? 

I dont think his value drops as people may seem to believe. That 2 playoff runs is way overblown. Theres going to be more demand for JT in the summer when teams know their cap situation

That being said, the games this weekend will play a very big hand on what Alvin and Co. do on Monday

2 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

I dont think his value drops as people may seem to believe. That 2 playoff runs is way overblown. Theres going to be more demand for JT in the summer when teams know their cap situation

That being said, the games this weekend will play a very big hand on what Alvin and Co. do on Monday

I agree that this weekend is the turning point of the season. Lose these games, and I think management starts making calls about some players that they’re probably moving out. Brock’s timing couldn’t have been worse. I wonder if they’re waiting until the off-season to sign or something or if he’s demanding his 7.5M, and not moving too much from that. If he is, then I can see him being moved at the deadline. 

5 hours ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I am on the trade JT wagon, but I have to hand it to you. Very well said!

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Has management, or the league come up with a penalty for “SULKING” yet?

Seems like there are a lot of posters here who would like to see one.

The fact is the game needs more choir , and mommas boys..  hey if the fans demand it, they have to have it.

Next we should duct tape players mouths in the ice,  and leave their emotions at home.. where they belong..

especially with this team, perhaps they’d play better as lifeless zombies, tanking into a decent a good draft pick..  

which seems to be more important than driving as deep into the playoffs for that experience that our young core needs.

There have been many teams that have given UFAs a decent contract, after that player has established himself with that team with seasons of work with them.

Its a calculated risk,  a lot of UFA’s have responded well , and if not putting up points,  offer some fantastic leadership to a rising youthful core.

I beleive Miller is an outlier.. and if his emotions are on his sleeve, and they are, is easy to know that his head and heart will remain in the game.

I think you’re stuck in the WW1 trenchwars. 
Creativity is something I value more than the mindless drones going back and forth.

It’s good to have a bunch of those also but man, creativity… Much more fun to watch. 
A pity Petey’s creativity is stifled nowadays. 

Canucks had a boat anchor deal in LE, traded it when it was almost over for another long term bad contract in OEL and his 7m plus for 5 more years is going to hur this team. Add to that a JT Miller signing of 9m for term as well and tell me how the heLL the Canucks are suppose to improve this team with a relatively flat cap, and extensions needed for Bo, Petey, Hog, Pod all needed over the next couple years. Sure we save 6m from Myers in 2 more years, but a top 4 D especially a RHD one doesn't come cheap...see Myers contract!

Absolutely best choice long term would be to trade JT this TDL if  a team offers us an abosolute haul of a return. Yes, it is a risk but we are NOT winning a cup within a few years so let another team who is closer sign JT and give him the big bucks and hope it pays off. Canucks don't wan't Jamie Benn 2.0, JT is far and away out performing any other season he has played...thanks to a 13 game 26 pt streak that was just snapped, it's a risk either way just seen risks backfire and not turn out for the Canucks for so long I'd hope with new managemenet they could do something different for once and trade a player for an absolute haul of a return and set this franchise up for success regularly with a more balanced roster.

• Cheers 3

23 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Canucks had a boat anchor deal in LE, traded it when it was almost over for another long term bad contract in OEL and his 7m plus for 5 more years is going to hur this team. Add to that a JT Miller signing of 9m for term as well and tell me how the heLL the Canucks are suppose to improve this team with a relatively flat cap, and extensions needed for Bo, Petey, Hog, Pod all needed over the next couple years. Sure we save 6m from Myers in 2 more years, but a top 4 D especially a RHD one doesn't come cheap...see Myers contract!

Absolutely best choice long term would be to trade JT this TDL if  a team offers us an abosolute haul of a return. Yes, it is a risk but we are NOT winning a cup within a few years so let another team who is closer sign JT and give him the big bucks and hope it pays off. Canucks don't wan't Jamie Benn 2.0, JT is far and away out performing any other season he has played...thanks to a 13 game 26 pt streak that was just snapped, it's a risk either way just seen risks backfire and not turn out for the Canucks for so long I'd hope with new managemenet they could do something different for once and trade a player for an absolute haul of a return and set this franchise up for success regularly with a more balanced roster.

Can't compare the two deal much...

LE was playing 2nd line and 3 Line minutes without much production.

OEL is our top D-man atm... 

But yes this is exactly the dilemma... If we sign Miller longterm, and have to give EP and Bo raises as well, it leaves very little to play with, trying to improve the team...Brock won't  be enough.

5 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

If his contract were $7m+, I might agree.  But the fact you're getting a too 10 scorer for, basically, the same cap hit as Garland for this playoff run, all next season and one more cup run is a pretty good return for a team on the cusp

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1