The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

KK had a 6.1M Sal with a  6.1M QO and took 4.8M at max contract.  He is younger, came in on a Offer sheet and has lower production and that is on Carolina taxes.  But still that's the most recent president for taking a cut for a player who hasn't shown signs of performing upto one of these inflated QO's

Taking a pay cut for Brock is probably optimistic, but i think any team will have to look at his extensive enough body of work in the NHL thus far and think long and hard before offering him a contract that starts with 6 at this point. 

So as to my previous point, his options would be take a long term contract at 5.x if the Canucks offer him it. Or risk a shorter term deal at higher AAV but if he only puts up <40pts again that year risk taking a long term bath on future contracts. 

Will be interesting to see how this new regime handles this situation for sure. We know they want cap room and that Brock is probably on the expendable list based on form and what he brings right now. 

Management. “Regime” is Kremlin.

10 hours ago, stawns said:

It was crystal clear that the playoffs were a pipe dream and teams were paying pretty good prices for players.  I think not moving Miller was dumb, but I get it and he's still an off season option. 

However, not moving Boeser was a complete failure as his stock plummets with each game he plays.  Now they're stick with him and the mess of his contract.  

This management team had an opportunity to out their stamp on the team and, at least, rid themselves of a major off season headache and they decided to the one thing everyone hated about Benning.......they stood pat and bet on the "status quo".

Boeser will have more trade value after even a 1 or 2 year extension (either via negotiation or arbitration), at under his QO, than the almost none he would have had at the TDL.

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Boeser will have more trade value after even a 1 or 2 year extension (either via negotiation or arbitration), at under his QO, than the almost none he would have had at the TDL.

And if Brock will only accept his QO?  Then how much value does he have in trade?  Should have traded him as a rental.  Then at least we get something in return.  Now there’s a very likely occurrence we just let him go for nothing, because 7.5 we won’t do.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And if Brock will only accept his QO?  Then how much value does he have in trade?  Should have traded him as a rental.  Then at least we get something in return.  Now there’s a very likely occurrence we just let him go for nothing, because 7.5 we won’t do.  

Probably go to arbitration, which I think neither side want that.  Very messy indeed.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We would take him to arbitration before it gets to that. There's almost zero chance he's going to see his QO.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I'd rather cut bait now.  He's not playing to the contract he has, let alone what he gets from arbitration and, imo, his value sinks with every game.  Let another team.deal with it is my approach.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd rather cut bait now.  He's not playing to the contract he has, let alone what he gets from arbitration and, imo, his value sinks with every game.  Let another team.deal with it is my approach.

If he's is bad as you claim he is, he had even less trade value at the TDL. Probably would have had to pay or take a bad contact back. If his value is in fact that low, we may as well just let him walk.

Edited by aGENT

38 minutes ago, stawns said:

Players traded after the TDL can no longer play for the rest of the season - there's not much benefit to trade for him now.

15 hours ago, aGENT said:

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

I personally wonder if anyone even made an offer. He barely adds value to a playoff team in his current form.

54 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I personally wonder if anyone even made an offer. He barely adds value to a playoff team in his current form.

Wasn't there  rumor other teams were interested in Brock but they wanted to talk to him about an extension, and we said no to that?  I think Brock's value was as a one playoff run rental.  Kind of similar to what we paid for Tofoli.  I don't see Brock having much value (if any) now, other than moving him for another contract.  

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Wasn't there  rumor other teams were interested in Brock but they wanted to talk to him about an extension, and we said no to that?  I think Brock's value was as a one playoff run rental.  Kind of similar to what we paid for Tofoli.  I don't see Brock having much value (if any) now, other than moving him for another contract.  

Not worth as much as what we paid for Tofu imo. I never heard a sniff of that rumor at all. Any source? 

I think we take BB to arbitration and then either trade him or use him as a placeholder/see if he can improve his play. He seems pretty worthless right now unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Not worth as much as what we paid for Tofu imo. I never heard a sniff of that rumor at all. Any source? 

I think we take BB to arbitration and then either trade him or use him as a placeholder/see if he can improve his play. He seems pretty worthless right now unfortunately.

Boeser has been given every opportunity this season to play to the level of what his QA offer will be.

I was hoping to see him moved after Christmas,  there is no way he is worth his QA, and certainly no more than Garland.

I think The only way he stays is if is contract is extended at his present 5.8 for 2 more years, and tradeable.

Or Perhaps he is part of a package where his rights are traded for a decent / mid 1st round pick.

I think we may have seen the last of Boeser,

perhaps moving closer to home and his ailing father will help his situation.

im looking forward to watching Motte perform in the playoffs,.  That was a player worth trying harder to make happy.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1

My apologies for posting in the Boeser trade thread but thinking about trades for Miller and probably already been mentioned but if a return such as Alex Lafreniere could be had I would be all in at this point.

Time to take a step back and do this thing right.

• Upvote 1

Satiar Shah says that it's certain that Vancouver will make an offer to extend Miller but they have a number in mind and won't go beyond.  He can't see them paying the Zibanejad deal.  He believes their offer will start with a 7 over 6-7 years and overall value won't exceed 50M.

Edited by mll

7 hours ago, mll said:

Satiar Shah says that it's certain that Vancouver will make an offer to extend Miller but they have a number in mind and won't go beyond.  He can't see them paying the Zibanejad deal.  He believes their offer will start with a 7 over 6-7 years and overall value won't exceed 50M.

5 hours ago, teepain said:

i would say canucks will go as far as

8 million aav on a 5-6 year deal

Not going to cut it. That basically spells trade and is largely a PR/hail Mary move. "We made an attempt to extend him."

His agent has already made it pretty clear he'll be looking for +/- $65m.

• Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not going to cut it. That basically spells trade and is largely a PR/hail Mary move. "We made an attempt to extend him."

His agent has already made it pretty clear he'll be looking for +/- $65m.

Or it's a negotiating move through the media.  Start low, and come to terms half way at $8M AAV (when Miller's camp comes in asking $9M AAV).

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, mll said:

I wonder what his sources really are, of if he's just making this up. 

If JR could pull this off, I'd be happy with that. 

• Cheers 2