The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Really? 

Not on Nemec? But the need is for a RHD, and JT gets us the best opportunity to do that, no? 

I hear Nemec needs a lot of work though, if the Canucks have a choice they’d do well to pick  David Jiricek.both will take time but DJ has more potential due to his size and his skating is really good 

Edited by Pure961089

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

No guarantee Habs select Wright.  He’s a safe pick, but Staff has a much higher ceiling.  Jagr?  

I mean, if Wright somehow fell he'd be a no brainer for us to take. We don't have a single blue chip center in our prospect system.

For Wright or Slafkovsky I'd drive Miller to the airport myself. A top 2 caliber forward could set this team up nicely up front for a decade when you consider we've already got young forwards in Podz, Pettersson, and Hoglander. Yes, we need help on D, but there's more than one way to approach bolstering that area. 

• Cheers 1

If you look at the last 15 years of cup wins.  There is one GLARINGLY consistent theme.  They all have numerous top 3 players on their rosters.  I believe the Kings, Bruins and Blues might be the only outliers for that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Shane Wright is Owen Nolan.  Juraj Slafkovsky is Jaromir Jagr. 

Slafkovsky is more likely a Kaapo Kakko.

That said, I would lose a lot of sleep if were tasked with making the 2nd OA selection. Gun to my head, I pick Jiricek - positional need, but ridiculous tools and upside as well.

52 minutes ago, nergish said:

That said, I would lose a lot of sleep if were tasked with making the 2nd OA selection. Gun to my head, I pick Jiricek - positional need, but ridiculous tools and upside as well.

I keep saying we need that right handed D man, but you would have to go with Slafkovsky I think. I would almost consider him the #1 prospect in this draft. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I mean, if Wright somehow fell he'd be a no brainer for us to take. We don't have a single blue chip center in our prospect system.

For Wright or Slafkovsky I'd drive Miller to the airport myself. A top 2 caliber forward could set this team up nicely up front for a decade when you consider we've already got young forwards in Podz, Pettersson, and Hoglander. Yes, we need help on D, but there's more than one way to approach bolstering that area. 

How else would you suggest that we beef up our defense and particularly a top RHD if not drafting for one? 

1 hour ago, nergish said:

Who knows what kind of player Slafkovsky would be. But I would not be surprised if he turns out to be a bust, because, well, it’s the Canucks picking. 

I would never pick a player in the top 5 ever again based on positional need. NEVER. The last time we did that, we got Juolevi. Look how that turned out for us. It’s got to be BPA. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

How else would you suggest that we beef up our defense and particularly a top RHD if not drafting for one? 

Trades, ufa, drafting them outside the first round, it's not all gonna happen in a single offseason either 

If we want centers and RHD we could go heavy on them this draft, but the 1st should be used on BPA imo

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Drafting a rhd would likely be a year or two from the lineup and even longer from impact.  I have no issues with older dmen via trade

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Who knows what kind of player Slafkovsky would be. But I would not be surprised if he turns out to be a bust, because, well, it’s the Canucks picking. 

I would never pick a player in the top 5 ever again based on positional need. NEVER. The last time we did that, we got Juolevi. Look how that turned out for us. It’s got to be BPA. 

Really, we don't know what OJ might have been if he had been healthy.  He was a top notch dman at the time of the draft 

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Drafting a rhd would likely be a year or two from the lineup and even longer from impact.  I have no issues with older dmen via trade

And the reality is we need another top flight top six player, a young one who'd give us a lengthier return. We have a young one in Pettersson, an aging one in Miller. Horvat, Boeser, and Garland are on a different tier. Pearson is a middle six tweener, Podz and Hoglander have promise but a ways to go. 

The best place to grab a potential premier forward is at the top, which is why the first round is generally forward heavy and a lot of D go in the 2nd round.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

bpa all night long.

Better to take the bpa and trade.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

bpa all night long.

Better to take the bpa and trade.

Allvin said exactly that.  He mentioned it’s always best to draft BPA because when that player is ready to help the club the roster is different from when he was drafted.  Benning struggled with planning beyond one season.  

• Cheers 1