The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

really? what if we got a player like Mario or Severson and Zadorov in. Paul for 3C. A guy like Deslauriers to dish out some snarl. You think teams would want to deal with us in the playoffs? I don't. We won't be winning any presidents trophies but we'd be a pretty tough out. 

Like I said, we're likely a better bubble team, but we still don't have the assets or depth to be a contender now, or in the future in that scenario. That's the same tail we've been chasing.

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

trade Myers. Move Garland for Marino or someone similar. 

We're But trading Myers just gives us the cap space to give Miller a raise and bring in a cheaper replacement. Marino and Garland is cap-in, cap out. You're not actually gaining any cap space.

4 hours ago, JM_ said:

I think Green turfed our year, with Bruce we would have made it a lot closer. The window I see is moving Myers, Pearson, Dickie, Poolman, Garland, adding in Mario (or similar), Zadorov, Paul, Desaluriers and Kuzemko. If we could retool the top 9 and improve the d to start the year with a real coach I like our chances.

Petey-Miller-Podz

Kuzmenko-Bo-Brock

Deslauriers-Paul-Lockwood

Hughes-Schenn

OEL-Marino

Rathbone-Zadorov

Which again leaves us winning less than 10 games with Boudreau when Miller does not record a point.  We don't magically become contenders if we can move some players out and shuffle the deck chairs with new names.  We also most certainly don't have the cap space to sign or retain most of those players via free agency UNLESS we magically move all of the above AND sign Zadorov/Paul/Deslauriers/Marino and Kuzimenko to similar cap hits while at least 20 other teams with more space also try to sign the same players.

Sorry mate, there's no actual window to contention with this current group as it stands.  it's more like the triangular push window in a 1979 gremlin when you need to ash your cig

Edited by Warhippy
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, JM_ said:

I think Green turfed our year, with Bruce we would have made it a lot closer. The window I see is moving Myers, Pearson, Dickie, Poolman, Garland, adding in Mario (or similar), Zadorov, Paul, Desaluriers and Kuzemko. If we could retool the top 9 and improve the d to start the year with a real coach I like our chances.

Petey-Miller-Podz

Kuzmenko-Bo-Brock

Deslauriers-Paul-Lockwood

Hughes-Schenn

OEL-Marino

Rathbone-Zadorov

my guess is, with all the Miller chatter, that they already know he probably doesn't intend on re-upping in Van.  

Just now, stawns said:

my guess is, with all the Miller chatter, that they already know he probably doesn't intend on re-upping in Van.  

Doesn’t tend on re-upping for a price they are willing to pay. I think JT is more than happy to stay but the term and dollars his agent is asking for is probably too steep for JR and co to want to pay. 

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

Doesn’t tend on re-upping for a price they are willing to pay. I think JT is more than happy to stay but the term and dollars his agent is asking for is probably too steep for JR and co to want to pay. 

James Franco GIF

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Them and Podz are my only untouchables tbh

For the right price I'd move everyone else 

But yeah, it's a tall order that requires some impressive wheeling and dealing to turn us around sooner than later imo 

We're in a weird spot where we've got some good vets, some top end talent, and a questionable pipeline lacking high end talent 

Personally, I don’t believe anyone should be untouchable on our roster. Like you said, if the right price came along that help us build a winning team now and in the long run. Everybody should be available, including Petey and Hughes.

Edited by shiznak

2 hours ago, shiznak said:

Personally, I don’t believe anyone should be untouchable on our roster. Like you said, if the right price came along that help us build a winning team now and in the long run. Everybody should be available, including Petey and Hughes.

I think anyone is available for the right price, some prices are just extremely unlikely to be paid. If Colorado said hey, we'll give you Makar for Hughes and a 2nd I'd take it and run. If Winnipeg offered up Dubois for Podz and the 15th I'd take it and run. 

But if I were to pick four roster players we currently have to build around it'd be Petey, Hughes, Demko, and Podz.

Miller's next contract will potentially be his last - his agent is going to be advising him to get 'paid'.

He might take a bit less than market value if it's to a legit contender that has (or can make room) for him so he has a chance to win.

He might sign for market value with a team that's not a legit contender but is trending in the right direction and could contend within the term of his next deal.

He likely won't sign with a team that's not a contender nor has shown anything but 'flat lining' as an organization for a decade. 

People can guess which category certain teams fall into.....

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Miller's next contract will potentially be his last - his agent is going to be advising him to get 'paid'.

He might take a bit less than market value if it's to a legit contender that has (or can make room) for him so he has a chance to win.

He might sign for market value with a team that's not a legit contender but is trending in the right direction and could contend within the term of his next deal.

He likely won't sign with a team that's not a contender nor has shown anything but 'flat lining' as an organization for a decade. 

People can guess which category certain teams fall into.....

How can Miller make his choice to "get paid" as you state, but then only want to sign with a competitive team?

8 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

There will be teams who view him as the piece they need to complete their contending roster and they will be motivated to sign him.

Look at Vegas when they targeted Pietrangelo - regardless of how that scenario worked out it demonstrated how a team can target a need and acquire it despite existing cap limitations.  Hundreds of comments in this thread about this team can't do this or can't do that because of whatever reason but did anyone see Vegas as a legit landing spot for Pietrangelo given their cap situation at that time? 

7 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

There will be teams who view him as the piece they need to complete their contending roster and they will be motivated to sign him.

Look at Vegas when they targeted Pietrangelo - regardless of how that scenario worked out it demonstrated how a team can target a need and acquire it despite existing cap limitations.  Hundreds of comments in this thread about this team can't do this or can't do that because of whatever reason but did anyone see Vegas as a legit landing spot for Pietrangelo given their cap situation at that time? 

Before he even hit free agency, LeBrun was claiming that Vegas were eagerly waiting to see whether he would re-sign with the Blues.  He was their top target if he ever reached free agency as they wanted to upgrade on Schmidt.  

45 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

And then again with Eichel.

It's naive to think good teams won't make room for him, if they value him (which they should and likely do).

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, aGENT said:

Like I said, we're likely a better bubble team, but we still don't have the assets or depth to be a contender now, or in the future in that scenario. That's the same tail we've been chasing.

We're But trading Myers just gives us the cap space to give Miller a raise and bring in a cheaper replacement. Marino and Garland is cap-in, cap out. You're not actually gaining any cap space.

not but overall that's probably a slight improvement 

14 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Which again leaves us winning less than 10 games with Boudreau when Miller does not record a point.  We don't magically become contenders if we can move some players out and shuffle the deck chairs with new names.  We also most certainly don't have the cap space to sign or retain most of those players via free agency UNLESS we magically move all of the above AND sign Zadorov/Paul/Deslauriers/Marino and Kuzimenko to similar cap hits while at least 20 other teams with more space also try to sign the same players.

Sorry mate, there's no actual window to contention with this current group as it stands.  it's more like the triangular push window in a 1979 gremlin when you need to ash your cig

I mean if thats the case, then we really should hit the reset button on this group. If your take is the right one I'd be looking to move Miller, Bo, Garland, Brock, Myers and Pearson for the highest picks and/or high quality ELC/RFAs possible, and take on other teams crap contracts for 1 or 2 years. 

Edited by JM_

23 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I mean if thats the case, then we really should hit the reset button on this group. If your take is the right one I'd be looking to move Miller, Bo, Garland, Brock, Myers and Pearson for the highest picks and/or high quality ELC/RFAs possible, and take on other teams crap contracts for 1 or 2 years. 

FA didn’t allow Linden and JB to go that route.  Don’t think he’ll let JR/PA do that either.

If anything, FA will approve any moves that can get Canucks back to the playoffs sooner rather than later.  Cuz playoff revenues go directly into FA pockets.

21 minutes ago, BPA said:

FA didn’t allow Linden and JB to go that route.  Don’t think he’ll let JR/PA do that either.

If anything, FA will approve any moves that can get Canucks back to the playoffs sooner rather than later.  Cuz playoff revenues go directly into FA pockets.

But as a businessman surely he realizes he's better off having a sustained window as opposed to trying to milk this mismatched group?

Building to be competitive and having sustained success sells merchandise and tickets. Even if we take steps back, if fans see upside and reasons to hope and ve optimistic they will come. But there's got to be an actual plan and direction, New York smartly communicated this to their fanbase a few years back.

Just trying to make the playoffs isn't good enough, we've already been trying to do that for years during Benning's rebuild/retool we only comfortably made it once under Desjardins. We made the bubble because of math. 

I'm tired of watching the organization spin it's wheels, I've no issue with being patient if they're willing to try and build things gradually and I reckon there are many others who feel the same way. 

• Upvote 1