The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 hour ago, Johnny Torts said:

I don’t think so

But I agree if it’s Laf and Schneids coming back I don’t see how you don’t pull the trigger.

Yeah. If it’s Laff and Schneider coming back, I think you gotta pull the trigger on that deal ASAP. 

8 minutes ago, Apricot said:

After today's game his value went super high

JT Miller to Rangers for 2 first round picks, 2 second round picks, Lafreniere, Schneider, and The Statue of Liberty. 

Lets go :bigblush:

Not to be too much of an opportunist but Miller’s stock might’ve just risen even higher in Colorado after fellow centerman MacKinnon got injured again tonight. If it’s a long term injury (which I hope for his sake it isn’t) they might be willing to pay a king’s ransom for Miller. 

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I’m confused by that Stawns,

I can’t see Horvat playing like he is now at 30, I think he’ll decline soon.

most nights he looks heavy. .  Hard to skater.

to me.

Sam, move Miller for a kings ransom and someone else will take his place.

Boudreaus system is doing wonders for our players. 
Our window starts in around two years and will probably be open around seven more years.

That means the coming two drafts is essential for our window since those players will be available as cheap players til the window close.

3 hours ago, stawns said:

He's just coming into his prime, Miller is just leaving his.  The new core is young, I'm not sure what's hard to see about that.  I haven't been shy about what I think about Miller, but it's got nothing to do with why I think he needs to be moved.  

For me. Keeping Miller is the short sighted move. 

Moving Miller, as difficult a that is for fans (look, I love the player), is the right move, because it’ll most likely set us up for the next decade. Miller right now is our best player, yes, he is also like you say leaving his peak, and he’s going to want a huge contract considering this is likely his last deal before he retires. I can’t see Miller still playing when he’s 40, let alone being affective at that age. How many players in the league are effective 38-40 years old? But he’s going to want the max in terms of term, and he’s probably going to want the max money wise. Two things we should not be offering him. So if that’s the case, then why not maximize on his play right now. He’s hot offensively (tonight, he had a four point night). 

If New York wants him, his performance tonight is just upping whatever is going to come back. 

The longer they wait, the more expensive the ask will be - assuming of course, Miller keeps up his offensive performance. 

• Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Sam, move Miller for a kings ransom and someone else will take his place.

Boudreaus system is doing wonders for our players. 
Our window starts in around two years and will probably be open around seven more years.

That means the coming two drafts is essential for our window since those players will be available as cheap players til the window close.

Petey also starting to come into form, kind of. 

Better than early season Petey. 

52 minutes ago, Apricot said:

After today's game his value went super high

JT Miller to Rangers for 2 first round picks, 2 second round picks, Lafreniere, Schneider, and The Statue of Liberty. 

Lets go :bigblush:

Where would we put the Statue of Liberty? Nah. 

Give me Lundqvist as well, and let’s call it a deal. NY can keep Ms. Liberty. 

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

There's the problem. It's iffy he makes it that long. Most don't. Most start heavily declining between 32-34. The likelihood of him playing up to his next cap hit, past then is low, AND we need more than 5 years anyway, if by some miracle, he held up until then. We need 7+ ideally

HENCE SO MANY OF US UNDERSTANDING THAT HE DOESN'T FIT THIS CORE'S WINDOW.

That's the middle/peak of the core's prime. Likely our best chance to win a cup. Not the time to be saddled with a declining, mid 30's, $8-$9.5m, 3rd liner.

Let’s say management does sign Miller to that sort of deal. If he does decline early in that contract, how the &^@# are we supposed to move that deal at that time? And that’ll strap the team even more. We’d have to wait out his contract, buy it out, but none of those options are actually good options for the team. So it makes so much sense to trade Miller right now. His value is at its hottest. 

If teams are wanting Miller before tonight’s performance, how much are they salivating after his four point performance tonight against the Jets? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

I’m betting Boeser gets moved before Miller. 7.5 million reasons.

Boeser won't get the same haul as a Miller trade would. Boeser has no leverage whatsoever to be commanding 7.5 million, no team would pay him that unless their GM is stupid. He could probably take a deal around the 6 range here unless of course he wants to leave. Miller on the other hand, numbers speak for themselves and he's a centre, and we aren't even factoring the intangibles. Miller is more than deserving of a contract that has a floor of 8 million per

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, YearoftheNuck said:

Not to be too much of an opportunist but Miller’s stock might’ve just risen even higher in Colorado after fellow centerman MacKinnon got injured again tonight. If it’s a long term injury (which I hope for his sake it isn’t) they might be willing to pay a king’s ransom for Miller. 

If thats the case, Bryam, a 1st , plus another asset better be heading this way. Friedman mentioned that any big deal that is rumored, Colorado wants in. The Avs are right in their window and are out for blood to win the cup

• Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

If thats the case, Bryam, a 1st , plus another asset better be heading this way. Friedman mentioned that any big deal that is rumored, Colorado wants in. The Avs are right in their window and are out for blood to win the cup

What other prime grade A prospects do the Avs have? 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Byram would have been ideal, but his concussion issues are really concerning.

At this point, Newhook would be likely target from the Avs. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

4 hours ago, D-Money said:

Byram would have been ideal, but his concussion issues are really concerning.

At this point, Newhook would be likely target from the Avs. 

Newhook, Barron and their 23 first (no 22) would be a good start.

Edited by aGENT
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Hopefully other teams had their scouts in watching that last game! Miller has been on fire! The guy is so good on the PK as well!

I understand why Miller should and probably will be traded but man it's going to sting to lose him. He's the type of player every team in the league would love to have and whatever the return is it will still be setting the team back for a couple of seasons. As long as the pieces coming back pan out in the long run it will be worth it I guess.

Edited by JC2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Anyone else think - after Miller got the hattrick, about the massive return if they trade him?

cha-ching

Lafreniere and a 1st+

I have seen a few writers suggesting Lafreniere or Kakko would be starting points.

• Like 1

Interesting take from CA on why trading the vets doesn't necessarily mean not competing for the playoffs with the right returns.

Have to say, the addition by subtraction theory and still being competitive by giving key youth more ice time is interesting.

https://canucksarmy.com/2022/01/28/canucks-selling-deadline-chasing-playoffs/

• Thanks 1