The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

14 minutes ago, tas said:

those scraps included 3 first overall picks. 

Yak was a bust, but he's calling Nuge and Hall scraps, which is ridiculous. Not to mention their former #6, #7 + #10 pics

to help out.B)

How many teams get to walk away with 6 top 4 picks in 6 years?  Or should I say ten top 10 in 9yrs?

4 minutes ago, HOFsedins said:

Lol. A first line 23 year old centre, 22 year old top pairing D, a promising power forward and a 1st round pick wouldnt get it done? Get real. More like I wouldnt even make that trade if you offered Bedard

I wouldn't make that deal either, but it's going to take a serious overpayment for someone to consider trading Bedard.  He's as talented as McDiver but is willing to backcheck and isn't a cancer in the room.  Last prospect of that stature to get moved was Lindros and it wasn't voluntary.

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Whoever gets Bedard isn't trading him.  Petey, Hughes, Podkolzin, and a 1st still probably doesn't get that done.

Best case scenario is he gets drafted to Arizona. Means he’s coming home in free agency. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

42 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I'm for trading Miller but wanted to re-sign Tanev, and I'm far from the only member with that perspective. 

Stereotyping groups to fit your narrative,  while convenient,  isn't necessary accurate. 

fine, I'll rephrase. the fundamental premise of "too old too much money too long" is the key motivation in both scenarios, and as such there is a lot of overlap in the people (or the arguments used, at least, as I tend to conflate most of cdc into just "someone not me" unless you've been here 15 years and left an impression on me) in the respective camps. 

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

No team is trading that first. I'd give up on that pipe dream. We're not getting Berard lol.

I don’t count anything out. 

if EP suffers another significant injury this year or for some reason just performs far below expectation, it could lead to other changes. 

we have a President who knows the value and importance of a generational talent. we also have a President who is not afraid to make significant changes to his club in order to fulfill what he sees is the best direction forward.

by those two criteria alone, I don’t think anyone on this roster is truly “safe”.

im not saying it’s going to happen, but unlike most recent management teams, JR is not afraid to pull the trigger. 

again, I’m also not saying we have to get Bedard, but I am 100% condoning getting active in any trade discussion regarding that 1st overall pick, even if it seems absurd and the ask is astronomical. 

it’s like real estate, imho. You always increase your base profit if you purchase in pre-construction.

the value of a Crosby pre draft is a fraction of what his value was in his prime. Sure there have to be suitors, and more importantly the player has to achieve expectation and potentially surpass them.  
But again, if you’re not at least engaging the conversation to find out what it takes to obtain the pick, then you don’t have all your irons in the fire. And as a GM, you should always be acting in that manner

16 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

No team is trading that first. I'd give up on that pipe dream. We're not getting Berard lol.

Of course. Even if the Canucks were last place in the league, they would get #3 at best.:sadno:

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, tas said:

fine, I'll rephrase. the fundamental premise of "too old too much money too long" is the key motivation in both scenarios, and as such there is a lot of overlap in the people (or the arguments used, at least, as I tend to conflate most of cdc into just "someone not me" unless you've been here 15 years and left an impression on me) in the respective camps. 

Tanev was going to be a supporting piece, and (yes) we should have 100% kept him.  Benning was foolish.  Miller is going to be paid like a key core piece.  Big difference.  We should trade his ass and right friggin’ now.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

15 OA + Miller for 2OA?

Who do we take at 2OA?  Jiricek?  Cooley?  Wright?  Omg!  How much fun would a trade like that make this draft?  :frantic:

I read an article in hockey writers that said Q Hughes would give us 2nd OA..

it also re-unites the Hughes Bros, which would be a big sell in Jersey.

I don’t mind losing Hughes ,  as good as he is, he is a target,  and not as robust as Makar.

But we would also need to sign a D with his capabilities on UFA..   not entirely impossible.

Trade Hughes 6.5 x 5 -  Land Slafkovsky (perhaps a wrist twist for the rights to Zacha too)

Pick up UFA Fiip Forsberg 27 yrs old

7.5 x 6 or 7 . ?  This player is getting better and not showing any sign of aging.

I think the point totals shared by OEL and Forsberg could be the best 1-2 punch from any 2 D in the NHL.

Slafkovsky is going to be a power beast.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Tanev was going to be a supporting piece, and (yes) we should have 100% kept him.  Benning was foolish.  Miller is going to be paid like a key core piece.  Big difference.  We should trade his ass and right friggin’ now.  

What about Frank Corrado ? ;)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I read an article in hockey writers that said Q Hughes would give us 2nd OA..

it also re-unites the Hughes Bros, which would be a big sell in Jersey.

I don’t mind losing Hughes ,  as good as he is, he is a target,  and not as robust as Makar.

But we would also need to sign a D with his capabilities on UFA..   not entirely impossible.

Trade Hughes 6.5 x 5 -  Land Slafkovsky (perhaps a wrist twist for the rights to Zacha too)

Pick up UFA Fiip Forsberg 27 yrs old

7.5 x 6 or 7 . ?  This player is getting better and not showing any sign of aging.

I think the point totals shared by OEL and Forsberg could be the best 1-2 punch from any 2 D in the NHL.

Slafkovsky is going to be a power beast.

Quinn is worth way more than 2OA.  I’d move him to Jersey, but they would have to pay 2OA + + + +.  We are talking the equivalent of five first rounders or they can lick my old hairy pucks. 

Edited by Alflives
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

he IS a big core piece. this team is hollow without him. 

• Thanks 2