The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

Just now, D.B Cooper said:

I just can’t shake the feeling the Canucks are going to Canuck the hell out of this situation. 

How I see it playing out……

They aren’t going to get a deal they like today. 
We will start the year with Miller.  
Going to be in a playoff race come the trade deadline, so they will hold on to Miller. 
NOT be able to come to terms on a fair deal.  
Lose him for nothing.  

Miss the playoffs

Or knowing the Canucks luck, he gets injured before the deadline, or he has a terrible season and his value decreases significantly lol 

2 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

I just can’t shake the feeling the Canucks are going to Canuck the hell out of this situation. 

Going to be in a playoff race come the trade deadline, so they will hold on to Miller. 
Lose him for nothing.  

Miss the playoffs

Difference is this is a essentially completely new and fresh front office. That gives me hope.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Lose him for nothing.  

Miss the playoffs

Penguins GM Jim Rutherford snaps on Pittsburgh columnist - CBSSports.com

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

31 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I want the boys and organization to be great in the community, and they will be, but I want to be a winning organization too. That requires the ruthless kind of moves we've seen from teams like Chicago in the past, and Colorado and Tampa in more recent years.

I'm not content with a feel good team that we hold on to forever because the fanbase is sentimental.

If our window ain't now than built for when it is, which is what I've been saying for months.

Our 2011 squad was the epitome of this with the Twins and Lou being active in the community and guys like Burr, Kes and Raffi being hated on the ice. That has to be one of the most balanced teams to not win a Cup and that makes me sad :(  

9 hours ago, teepain said:

If miller and bo both want similar money , give or take a million or so

i would rather sign miller . Is there really a discussion?

99 pts and a pt a game for the past 4 seasons

what does bo provide us that miller doesn’t

Cheaper and a full two years younger. Probably a better goal scorer and more of a natural center and more renowned for his face-offs. It's decisions like this that I feel need to me made with the percentages and future in mind. Too many people hoping Miller bucks the norms but in hockey two years is a massive difference in our window of opportunity for this team when you're paying big bucks. However Miller is the better player right now.

Definitely a fair point to question though.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Lose him for nothing.  

Miss the playoffs

And just to top it all off: pick #15 in 2023.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

Our 2011 squad was the epitome of this with the Twins and Lou being active in the community and guys like Burr, Kes and Raffi being hated on the ice. That has to be one of the most balanced teams to not win a Cup and that makes me sad :(  

Yuppp, I want to be hated again because our team is so goddamn good, not because our fanbases judges itself to be one of the most annoying. 

I like the guys, I'll root for em, but this is absolutely a business and almost nobody sticks around a team forever. Guys are always coming and going. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Cheaper and a full two years younger. Probably a better goal scorer and more of a natural center and more renowned for his face-offs. It's decisions like this that I feel need to me made with the percentages and future in mind. Too many people hoping Miller bucks the norms but in hockey two years is a massive difference in our window of opportunity for this team when you're paying big bucks. However Miller is the better player right now.

Definitely a fair point to question though.

Yup, if we're gonna hold on to a vet I'd rather it be Bo. For age related reasons but also because he'll likely come in cheaper given his roots here. If you pop over to the Horvat thread things are sounding very positive from management. 

Bo and Petey want to be on a good team, we can absolutely be one but tough choices need to be made. A Miller trade gets a return and doesn't happen in a vacuum, there will be other moves going forward. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Difference is this is a essentially completely new and fresh front office. That gives me hope.

Benning and Linden was a fresh start.  
So was Gillis.  

It doesn’t matter who sits in the chair. 
The path is always the same.  

I really hope I’m wrong this time,   But I doubt it. 

7 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Benning and Linden was a fresh start.  
So was Gillis.  

It doesn’t matter who sits in the chair. 
The path is always the same.  

I really hope I’m wrong this time,   But I doubt it. 

As far as I'm aware, they didn't clean out the scouting dept., player development dept. and as well as pretty much every other dept. for that matter. 

Other difference is there was no President of hockey operations, there was no buffer between ownership and management. I hold hope this will make a difference.

I personally feel the Aquilini's are at large part to blame as they had too much control and say in these decisions rather than just being the money behind the scenes like they should be. It's become obvious over my lifetime the Aquilini's aren't "hockey guys", they are businessmen and should keep their hands out of the hockey ops side-  they owe it to us fans. 

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Forgot about the obvious bounce back of hoglander. Plus the monies we can use on a player in place of Miller. 

His 100 pts (likely 75) will be easier to replace than most think

I'll probably get some slack from some folks but if he goes to a contender I see him dropping back to 65-70 points without all the opportunity and TOI he received last year. It couldn't have gone much better in that regard. I mean sheeet if he goes to the Rangers Zibanejad is in his PP spot and has tenure plus a better shot. Also Panarin, Kreider, and Fox, to share time with. He might not even make pp1. They also play a style where defence is a concept, not just do whatever the hell you want.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I might be in the minority here but I think I would be happy with Kakko, Lundkvist, and 2023 1st. 

I would probably move Rathbone and NYR's 2023 1st for a top 4 RD

Podz - Petey - Boeser

Kuzmenko - Bo - Kakko

Hughes - ???

OEL - Poolman

Dermott - Lundkvist

Draft a Dman with 15th overall

I'd rather literally anything except Lundvist.  His defensive play isn't good enough and likely never will be.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'll probably get some slack from some folks but if he goes to a contender I see him dropping back to 65-70 points without all the opportunity and TOI he received last year. It couldn't have gone much better in that regard. I mean sheeet if he goes to the Rangers Zibanejad is in his PP spot and has tenure plus a better shot. Also Panarin, Kreider, and Fox, to share time with. He might not even make pp1. They also play a style where defence is a concept, not just do whatever the hell you want.

Believe me he would be on first pp..lol he's the guy they needed in playoffs driving the pp .sad the nucks are probly getting rid of him.

Edited by Rackdawg

I worry NYR are going to get away with a Kappo + Lundqvist + 1st offer which we turned down a few months ago. Hope we keep our value high, all this recent interest surely boosts it up.

Last year there was a time when his value was too high to trade, he was scoring 2PPG, but I wonder where he's at now? Surely the value of a good player, prospect and 1st and we can get it, what we need is a top RD, center/defensive prospect and a 1st. I wouldn't do the deal otherwise.

• Upvote 1