[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

31 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Take a Fiala-like return and move on without the risk of keeping Miller:

Schneider and a 1st

Or maybe it’s dropped down to a DeBrincat like trade…1st + 2nd + 3rd.  :(

10 minutes ago, BPA said:

Or maybe it’s dropped down to a DeBrincat like trade…1st + 2nd + 3rd.  :(

Debrincat went for 7th overall compared to a playoff team going for JT likely having a 1st in to 20-30s. If Canucks got a top 10 pick in a JT trade that would be a win I would think, its like the Duchene trade for Colorado never thought they would get that high pick or Ottawa never thought so anyway after acquiring Duchene

35 minutes ago, BPA said:

Miller (50%) 

to LA for

Clarke + 2nd

or

Grans + 1st 2023

With how Blake and Yanetti insisted on age fit - don't see how they would have interest in Miller.  

Edited by mll

Got to think after Fitz's recent comments that NJD are still reeling from getting duped by Johnny. 

If Allvin can engage NJ, they've got a lot of assets this organization doesn't really have enough of including: potentially high  picks, Boqvist, McLeod, Smith, Mukhamadullin,  Nemec, Walsh, Mercer, etc....

The packages NJ could put together are as good as anyone if Allvin isn't targeting a specific player. 

4 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Got to think after Fitz's recent comments that NJD are still reeling from getting duped by Johnny. 

If Allvin can engage NJ, they've got a lot of assets this organization doesn't really have enough of including: potentially high  picks, Boqvist, McLeod, Smith, Mukhamadullin,  Nemec, Walsh, Mercer, etc....

The packages NJ could put together are as good as anyone if Allvin isn't targeting a specific player. 

Would Miller sign long term in Jersey though?

I’m not so sure.

14 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

What about Miller to Nashville with one of Fabbro or Carrier as the main piece coming back? Add in a first and a decent prospect.

Nashville could be a trade partner. I’m not sure how good fabbro is at this point but I could see a trade there happening that hasn’t been talked about much.

forsberg-miller would be formidable 

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Would Miller sign long term in Jersey though?

I’m not so sure.

Why not? Could see him signing NJ NYI NYR CLB now NASH

prolly wants to be in an American market with a chance at winning a cup where they have cap to pay him 

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Why not? Could see him signing NJ NYI NYR CLB now NASH

prolly wants to be in an American market with a chance at winning a cup where they have cap to pay him 

I dunno with his age I think he’d prefer a team that’s already a contender like New York.

I don’t see New Jersey being close any time soon.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I guess I’m more worried and concerned about Miller walking for nothing. That’s not just nothing. That’s a failed opportunity to take advantage of getting assets back for a player who could walk straight into free agency. It’s poor asset management. We critiqued Benning and his regime for continually doing that, but are okay with Allvin and Rutherford for doing the same thing? 

I understand that..  but here's the thing. 

IF this team is a 100pt team and at tdl it looks like we could win a cpl rounds hopefully more we will be buyers at the tdl.. we'll have to give up younger assets and picks to bring in help for a playoff run..

So if we still have Miller instead of giving up assets for rentals for playoffs we keep Miller instead and don't five up other assets and not get someone of Miller's quality back.

IF this team isn't a playoff team then we trade him at tdl...

There is no rush. Tdl is 8 or 9 months away. He can play out the season and we decide at tdl what to do.. Other players will be definitely happy because they would rather have Miller on the team over a 3rd line roster player and a pick or prospect.  Players want to win now not 6 years down the road.. 

Horvat and Kuz will be UFA next summer. Do you think they'd rather re sign if we are a better team or worse team..

Unless we get a top 4 RHD plus there is no need to trade Miller.. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Miller’s not signing 6 years at 7.5M. No way he takes that. I’d be surprised if he agreed to those terms. 

If he did, that’d be great for the team of course moving forward. 

I think the more realistic scenario is that he’s traded, or he walks. 

I agree. My post was to another poster who said I wanted Miller re signed even if we over pay him.. 

But going by the type of money that went out this free agency Miller not getting 9plus million.

He had a career year. By far his best year.. I doubt he repeats that 

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I understand that..  but here's the thing. 

IF this team is a 100pt team and at tdl it looks like we could win a cpl rounds hopefully more we will be buyers at the tdl.. we'll have to give up younger assets and picks to bring in help for a playoff run..

So if we still have Miller instead of giving up assets for rentals for playoffs we keep Miller instead and don't five up other assets and not get someone of Miller's quality back.

IF this team isn't a playoff team then we trade him at tdl...

There is no rush. Tdl is 8 or 9 months away. He can play out the season and we decide at tdl what to do.. Other players will be definitely happy because they would rather have Miller on the team over a 3rd line roster player and a pick or prospect.  Players want to win now not 6 years down the road.. 

Horvat and Kuz will be UFA next summer. Do you think they'd rather re sign if we are a better team or worse team..

Unless we get a top 4 RHD plus there is no need to trade Miller.. 

There should be no situation we are “buyers” at the 2023 TDL.  And there should be no way we end up with Miller doing a Little Johnny to us.

Miller needs to be traded before this season starts.  

Islanders have Mayfied and Pageau to include.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

There should be no situation we are “buyers” at the 2023 TDL.  And there should be no way we end up with Miller doing a Little Johnny to us.

Miller needs to be traded before this season starts.  

Islanders have Mayfied and Pageau to include.

Why?

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Scottydzik said:

Also fits mold of what Alvin,Ruth want in d strong skater and puck mover until he signed he’s worth run if we had cap.

Older, more expensive and redundant?

Not really. We don't need more offensive guys, we're need guys like Tanev to support all the offensive guys we have on the left. Solid defensively but capable puck movers.

And ideally in the 22-26'ish age range, with some club control and less expensive ELC/bridge RFA years left on a deal.

That's not remotely Klingberg.

14 hours ago, J-23 said:

Why not?

14 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

Exactly. He hit 99 last season and it wasn't even his contract year. 

We'll all see how it all plays out.

Because every other previous he never produce that much.  This was most likely an anomaly and is in line for a regression.  

not saying he will revert back to 50 pts but something in the 75-85 is probably most likely.

3 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Nashville could be a trade partner. I’m not sure how good fabbro is at this point but I could see a trade there happening that hasn’t been talked about much.

forsberg-miller would be formidable 

Fabbro? He good man. Fits somewhere on that spectrum of two-way RD who could potentially be a Devon Toews to Quinn Hughes. Of course Severson or Weegar would be the dream scenarios there, but guys like Fabbro, or Jokiharju from Buffalo aren't far off.

Fabbro was Roman Josi's full-time partner this year and was a big part of his 96 point season. Obviously it's a big step down from Josi to Hughes and Josi carried the bag a lot between them, but he got some great experience in that type of role and would just have to take another step up in his level of responsibility in it.

Same basically goes for Jokiharju, he was Dahlin's regular partner in what was something of a breakout year for Dahlin.