The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Isn't that why they got Romanov?  None of their forwards cracked 60 points last year.  Miller had almost 100.  Gotta give to get.  If Lou wants a 100 point forward to go with his ageing core to try and win a Cup he is going to need to sacrifice some youth.  What good is Dobson if none of their forwards can score?

They got Romanov to be Dobson's long term D-partner.  Pelech-Pulock / Romanov-Dobson are going to be their top-4 for some time.  

NYI spent far too much time in their own zone - ie they couldn't get themselves into scoring opportunities because they were stuck in their own zone.  Their primary issue was on D not up front. 

Edited by mll

Okay we resign Miller. 

Trade Hoglander straight across for Mayfield. 

Mayfield 2M cap hit,  after a couple of so so years maybe a fresh start is needed. Big rhd. Their forwards are getting old-er, Hogs brings them speed.

Maybe a good stop gap to get us over a hump.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

57 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

And while I'm on a rant...(sorry guys)...

I wish JR and Allvin could've been a little bit more like Lou and don't tell every other team what we're going to do in the off season before we do it.

They talked a whole lot of stuff about shedding cap, getting more picks, improving the D, and signing or trading Miller.

None of it has happened. They look stupid now and every other GM knows what VAN desperately wants to do. I really hope they don't feel pressured now to make some bad trades to try and save face.

I think your greatly over estimating how much other GM's think about what other team's GMS say to the media. JR and Alvin are not desperate, they are biding their time.

you've been listening to too much media if you think their has been any deadline that we missed.

and three we got bigger and faster, so don't say they didn't do anything they set out to do.

there is still a lot of big fish to be signed and dominoes will fall after, I hate saying this but CHILL dude

• Cheers 1

Could a Miller-Severson swap work for Canucks, Devils?

Now, hear us out before you close the page. Miller is more of a household name, but Severson is underrated. The Devils would have to add more pieces to this hypothetical swap, but we'll get to that later. First, a little background on each centerpiece.

Miller, 29, is coming off a career-high 99-point campaign. He's capable of playing both center and left wing and is an exceptional offensive player, even if he gives up a fair amount defensively. He also brings an element of size (6-foot-1, 218 pounds) and physicality (172 hits last season) that teams covet.

Severson, who turns 28 next week, is also coming off a career year after tallying 46 points. He defends well, in large part due to his size (6-foot-2, 205 pounds) and mobility. Severson averaged more ice time per game (23:36) than Dougie Hamilton last season (21:13), which says a lot about how much coaches trust him to handle tough minutes.

Another thing to remember: there's familiarity between Devils general manager Tom Fitzgerald and Canucks GM Patrik Allvin, who worked together in the Pittsburgh Penguins' front office from 2007-08 to 2014-15.

everson ($4.16-million cap hit) will be an unrestricted free agent in 2023. There have been no reports of his availability, but it'd be sensible for New Jersey to move him following the recent John Marino acquisition.

With Marino and Hamilton signed long term on the right side of the blue line, locking up another righty in Severson would be illogical. That's especially true after the club selected Simon Nemec, yet another right-shot defender, second overall in the draft. Even if Nemec isn't ready to play in the NHL this season, Fitzgerald could sign a one-year stopgap until the young Slovak arrives.

The Devils struck out on Johnny Gaudreau in free agency. They signed Ondrej Palat, but they could still use a veteran, star forward to complement Jack Hughes, Nico Hischier, and Co. Miller would be an even better fit than Gaudreau, considering he'd bring a different element with his size and tenacity to a forward group that's mostly on the smaller side.

Perhaps most importantly, New Jersey possesses the cap space to sign Miller, a 2023 UFA, to a long-term extension. As of now, only Hughes, Hischier, Palat, Hamilton, and Marino are making significant money beyond next season. Miller projects to land an eight-year deal with a $9.7-million cap hit if he signs an extension, per Evolving-Hockey.

Proposal No. 1

Devils receive Canucks receive
J.T. Miller Damon Severson

Shakir Mukhamadullin

Proposal No. 2

Kevin Bahl
  Jesper Boqvist

2023 2nd-round pick

Proposal No. 3

Kevin Bahl
  Reilly Walsh

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2387601

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Miller and Hughes. You’re nuts. Nobody is trading their number 1 defense AND their number 1 centre for Dobson. He’s good, but he’s not God lol

That’s an overpayment for sure. Good luck to the Isles then to keep Dobson, because he’s going to want to get paid. 

Wahlstrom’s a good prospect. But c’mon, at the right price, he’s moveable. 

I’m sure if we want Dobson.. we will probably be looking at what MT got from Florida territory. Maybe minus weegar and sub in like a hoglander ish.. 

something like Miller hoglander rathbone and a conditional 1st or 2nd and miller agreeing to an extension ahead of the trade.

miller straight up for Dobson wouldn’t even get the convo started. 

And why would it be good luck if the isles want to keep Dobson? Sure he’s gonna get paid. They have the cap space, and he’s prolly gonna be worth his 8-9mil on a max term contract. So if the canucks were to trade for Dobson. Good luck coz he’s gonna get paid?

it’s a pipe dream but I would gladly move Miller hoglander rathbone and a pick for Dobson.. hoglander doesn’t really have a spot in the top 6 and he’s too small for the bottom 6 rathbone really isn’t suited to be a bottom pairing defenseman and we need to find another babysitter like schenn. It would solve our defense prolly one of the best and one of the most lethal top pairing in the league. But it’ll prolly never happen 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I’m sure if we want Dobson.. we will probably be looking at what MT got from Florida territory. Maybe minus weegar and sub in like a hoglander ish.. 

something like Miller hoglander rathbone and a conditional 1st or 2nd and miller agreeing to an extension ahead of the trade.

miller straight up for Dobson wouldn’t even get the convo started. 

And why would it be good luck if the isles want to keep Dobson? Sure he’s gonna get paid. They have the cap space, and he’s prolly gonna be worth his 8-9mil on a max term contract. So if the canucks were to trade for Dobson. Good luck coz he’s gonna get paid?

it’s a pipe dream but I would gladly move Miller hoglander rathbone and a pick for Dobson.. hoglander doesn’t really have a spot in the top 6 and he’s too small for the bottom 6 rathbone really isn’t suited to be a bottom pairing defenseman and we need to find another babysitter like schenn. It would solve our defense prolly one of the best and one of the most lethal top pairing in the league. But it’ll prolly never happen 

Miller + Bone easily returns Dobson.

I think people forget Myers won the Calder and was considered a high end offence D.  Dobson looks a lot like Myers.  

Personally I don’t want Dobson.  The league is fast, and Dobson is slow.  He’s pretty much Evan (the cow kicked me in the head) Bouchard.  “Just say no”

Stay asleep and DON’T get this done JR. :frantic:

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Miller + Bone easily returns Dobson.

I think people forget Myers won the Calder and was considered a high end offence D.  Dobson looks a lot like Myers.  

Personally I don’t want Dobson.  The league is fast, and Dobson is slow.  He’s pretty much Evan (the cow kicked me in the head) Bouchard.  “Just say no”

Stay asleep and DON’T get this done JR. :frantic:

Dobson looks a lot better than Myers in his Calder season. Miller and bones I doubt would be enough to get this done. Dobson at this moment is prolly a tier above Schneider. If nyi even thinks about moving Dobson. There will be plenty of bidder in the league and the ask will be no less than chychrun. 

41 minutes ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

JT for Severson, Bahl, Boqvist & a 2nd would be amazing for the Canucks IMO

A guy that could walk or we have to overpay to keep, a bottom pairing defenseman, a Hoglander level player, and a 2nd?

What exactly is amazing about that return? Seems like a lot of quantity and not much quality.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

A guy that could walk or we have to overpay to keep, a bottom pairing defenseman, a Hoglander level player, and a 2nd?

What exactly is amazing about that return? Seems like a lot of quantity and not much quality.

I like Severson as one part of a deal if we have to go that way, but yeah the rest of that is meh. Zero interest in Boqvist. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Miller is great on the ice and in the room.  I’m sure he spends extra time guiding young players, like Pods.  We still can’t afford to either sign JT to a bad contract for us, or see him walk for nothing as a UFA.  The longer JT is on our team and the nearer to the 2023 TDL we get, the more likely it becomes he’s leaving July 1, 2023 and we get no return.  Because trading Miller in season could damage the room to a level that might not be repairable.  

Look how long it took for the room to recover from the horrible Benning (after the Bubble success) “shocking reset”!  It actually never did recover, and the coach and management all needed to be replaced to change the feeling in the room. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

like i said vegas at no point played with a full healthy roster.. chance of them to have a completely decimated roster the entire year? slimmer than slim? Stone played half the season. Eichel played 1/3 of the season. Lehner played half the season pac played half the season now gone reilly smith played 2/3 of the season karlsson played 3/4 of the season.. basically not a single core guy on that roster other than pietrangleo marchessault and theodore played a full season.. they really lost nothing off their core other than pac and basically replaced by eichel.. you have to be a blind homer to say vegas with a full healthy stone and eichel on the roster will be worse than the bandaid patchwork lineup they had all season last year.

it's not call being negative it's call being realistic. all i have said is canucks are not guaranteed a playoff spot. you guys basically took the 1st month under boudreau where the team went on a big winning streak but completely ignored the january feb march and april 

we are 25-15-9 since january.. ya that's great 15 of the 25 wins are against team that missed the playoffs. we have 10 wins in 27 games against teams that made the playoff since january under bruce tell me how does that record indicate we are guaranteed to be a playoff teams? so what happens if we didnt have a relatively weak schedule with 22 games against non playoff teams in the 2nd half and it was mostly against the playoff teams? .370 winning percentage not point percentage against the playoff teams will = we are guaranteed to be a playoff team?

ok let's add the winning streak on there.. we won a grand total of 13 games against playoff teams since boudreau took over the team in 5 months.. so again how does that make us a strong team under boudreau and guaranteed to make the playoff??

I dont know where you are getting this guaranteed idea from. Not team is ever guaranteed to be in

and about wins against non playoff teams roughly 41 games are against non playoff teams. So that means 41 against playoff teams. With those 10 wins prorated to 82 games its 21 wins then the non play off teams its prorated to 25 wins. Thats 92 points, plus OT losses, we could throw in 9 points for that and all of a sudden this roster is a 100 point team. 

the team will have a better training camp and be better prepared for BBs systems with a coaching staff overhaul so the winner percentage should hopefully increase

Also, you seem to think like i think they are contenders. They are a playoff caliber team. 

But im moving on from this conversation with you

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Miller is great on the ice and in the room.  I’m sure he spends extra time guiding young players, like Pods.  We still can’t afford to either sign JT to a bad contract for us, or see him walk for nothing as a UFA.  The longer JT is on our team and the nearer to the 2023 TDL we get, the more likely it becomes he’s leaving July 1, 2023 and we get no return.  Because trading Miller in season could damage the room to a level that might not be repairable.  

Look how long it took for the room to recover from the horrible Benning (after the Bubble success) “shocking reset”!  It actually never did recover, and the coach and management all needed to be replaced to change the feeling in the room. 

you're making a pretty good argument for re-signing here. 

Whats your line for a good vs bad extension?