The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Edit)(Disscussion) Evander Kane UFA / Contract Termination Investigated

SilentSam

26 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Remember the Canucks management in the Seventies?

Most of you probably don't.

But if Kane was available to Nux Mngt at that time:

-They would have waited until Edmonton signed Kane and put him McD's line.

-Then traded Demko, Podkolzin, and a (high) first pick to get him.

Bunch of drunken sots making decisions after midnight.

Draft day was always brutal; guys on crutches, 'they took who?', etc.

Calling Gretzky at midnight in Seattle to give him an ultimatum… lol

Those we’re the days.

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Those we’re the days.

After the fact I think it was Gretzky who disclosed how that went down and that he was putting his head in the pillow that night having made the decision that he was all in on Vancouver :)

Stan Mcammon forced Quinn to call.

Quinn should have duct taped that $&!# head and put him in a duffel bag.

Luke_Fox.pngLuke Fox | @lukefoxjukeboxJanuary 30, 2015, 3:04 PM
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

If not for one pushy phone call back in 1996, Wayne Gretzky would have been a Vancouver Canuck.

Back in the summer of 1996, then Orca Bay CEO Stan McCammon thought the Canucks would be able to sign the Great One as a free agent after he had spent a half-season with the St. Louis Blues. The late Pat Quinn, then Vancouver’s president and general manager, was in charge of the negotiations.

“The Canucks had (Gretzky) signed at night verbally, and he (told Quinn), ‘Look. I’ll sign the papers formally in the morning,’ Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman told Sportsnet 590 The Fan’s Brady & Walker, Friday.

“[Then Orca Bay CEO Stan McCammon] got on the phone to Quinn (Vancouver’s president and GM) and said, ‘We want this done tonight.’ “

LISTEN: Elliotte Friedman talks Brodeur, Jets and how Gretzky nearly signed with Vancouver

Quinn told McCammon that Gretzky was committed and not to worry.

“No, no, no. We’re doing this tonight. I want it formalized. No questions,” McCammon instructed Quinn.

Quinn called Gretzky back and asked him to sign the papers that night.

Gretzky replied with: “I told you I’d sign them the morning.”

“Nope,” Quinn said. “I need to have it tonight.”

The whole deal blew up over that, Friedman explained.

Gretzky, we know, also considered joining the Toronto Maple Leafs that off-season, before finally signing with the New York Rangers, where he would play the final three seasons of his career.

“It was a difficult summer. At one point I thought I was going to be a Vancouver Canuck and it fell through the wayside,” Gretzky said on the same radio show in 2013. “Everything happens for a reason, and I ended up signing with the New York Rangers… and truly enjoyed it.”

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

Those we’re the days.

Well, that was with Pat Quinn who was one of the best, if not the best Pres/GM/Coach we ever had, imo.

And The Grating One didn't play until 1979.

The crew before them were whiskey and cigars old boys, and I can only put their moves down to copious quantities of demon alcohol.

(It was like cocaine wasn't even invented to these guys back then, so you can't blame crack.) 

The team was a mess and not an extremely entertaining or satisfying outfit, at least from this fan's perspective.

Some good old guys played for us, sure, but management sucked big time, imo.

If I understand the Gretzky thing, Pat was pressured into giving The Whiner the nudge to sign that night.

At least I want to believe that my hero Quinn would never make a mistake; he was always so cool under pressure, I just can't see that as his style.

4 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Well, that was with Pat Quinn who was one of the best, if not the best Pres/GM/Coach we ever had, imo.

And The Grating One didn't play until 1979.

The crew before them were whiskey and cigars old boys, and I can only put their moves down to copious quantities of demon alcohol.

(It was like cocaine wasn't even invented to these guys back then, so you can't blame crack.) 

The team was a mess and not an extremely entertaining or satisfying outfit, at least from this fan's perspective.

Some good old guys played for us, sure, but management sucked big time, imo.

If I understand the Gretzky thing, Pat was pressured into giving The Whiner the nudge to sign that night.

At least I want to believe that my hero Quinn would never make a mistake; he was always so cool under pressure, I just can't see that as his style.

It was that idiot Stan McCammon, Gretzky was going to sign the next morning and Quinn was good with that. 

• Vintage 2

This is absolutely true. Obviously Kane as a player is someone you'd want on your team.

But like you said, he's worn out his welcome.

As far as term, not a chance. He's at the point where he plays-as-he-goes.

Whoever signs him, good luck. 

And all the best to him as well. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Remember the Canucks management in the Seventies?

Most of you probably don't.

But if Kane was available to Nux Mngt at that time:

-They would have waited until Edmonton signed Kane and put him McD's line.

-Then traded Demko, Podkolzin, and a (high) first pick to get him.

Bunch of drunken sots making decisions after midnight.

Draft day was always brutal; guys on crutches, 'they took who?', etc.

image.jpeg.177da7f04980490bc5da384e4836541d.jpeg

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, JM_ said:

so does this mean SJ still owes him his salary too?

That's the NHL investigation on whether he could face a suspension for possible Covid protocol violation - teams are waiting to know the results of that investigation before signing him to a contract as UFA.  Front runner is believed to be Edmonton.  That NHL investigation is independent from the SJS situation which will be ruled by a neutral arbitrator unless they settle earlier.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mll said:

That's the NHL investigation on whether he could face a suspension for possible Covid protocol violation - teams are waiting to know the results of that investigation before signing him to a contract as UFA.  Front runner is believed to be Edmonton.  That NHL investigation is independent from the SJS situation which will be ruled by a neutral arbitrator unless they settle earlier.  

but it really isn't independent tho is it? its the supposed violation thats being used to void his contract. If SJ didn't really have the evidence to do that, how can they terminate? wouldn't he still have his deal?

if there wasn't a violation, how can the termination stand? I can't see the NHLPA taking that laying down.

And if there was a violation, how does Bettman not suspend him? what message does that send?

I don't see how this guy is allowed to play a game either way with another team, it would be clear case of favouritism for SJ if they get off with no consequence and Kane doesn't get suspended. 

15 hours ago, aznmonk said:

yeah i know eh! 30 teams and canucks thought he cant find a team to play with? THE GREAT ONE!  lol

Canucks thought Gretzky had no intention to play with them.  They thought he was going to use Canucks latest offer with NYR and try to get more money from them..

That was the reason they wanted Gretzky to sign their latest and final offer right away. they didn't want their latest offer to be used as a bargaining chip with another team.

21 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I think if the league had anything negative on Kane, they would be hammering down on him as we speak.

This delay smells more of damage control for the Sharks..   lesser contract buy out,  and no cap hit , which they would have had previously in a trade.

trying to help the Sharks out of legal woes from their knee jerk reaction, and the league for allowing the Sharks to terminate.

Regardless, This really shouldn’t be taking so long..    and I’m probably wrong :)

Haha what a loser. Some team will sign him he'll do alright for a bit but it's just a matter of how long until he does something incredibly stupid. It just remains to be seen if he can top even his own level of stupidity. I'm going to lay a bet down that he ends up in jail this time. :shock:

• Huggy Bear 1