The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Pittsburgh Penguins | Nov. 24, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Man, you’d have to think Green’s days are numbered if nothing else but to send a message.  

I’d get someone the GM trusts behind the bench and then figure out what (if anything) the rift is in the locker room.  

If you need to can Benning first or include FA in the discussions then so be it… but this team needs emergency action to salvage what should still be a very serviceable core. 

The problem is the GM does have someone he trusts behind the bench. God only knows why but he does.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Do you think he'd come to Van? 

Reports are he wants back in the league.  A Burke-like senior advisor role that isn’t a day to day job seems like an ideal scenario.

The problem is literally no one seems to know why he left Pittsburgh.  Every rumour seems to have been shot down.  If it was ownership interference, then good luck coming here.

If he has the reputation and profile to be the guy who can rejig the organization without interference from ownership then he would be most welcome.  He could run the GM search and create a vision/identity.. then hire the right people to execute it.  For a guy his age that would be perfect.  He is way past the age to be a full-time day to day manager of a franchise.

The appeal to a Vancouver job is that it can’t really get much worse.  It is the worst run franchise that actually always spends money to try to win.  The worst teams are budget ones that have no chance.

31 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

You're right.

Going into the season i was pumped but 20/20 hindsight we have no structure, no role players, no shot blockers, like you said, they're hockey players not housewives.

Green is part of the problem too though.

Well we had toughness but green waived them in preseason. 

He made his bed

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Reading 3 yrs ago when Aqua was upset at paying $3+ million for Gagner in the minors, think he has had enough paying for everyone else since then and still getting the same results?

Maybe he is tired of spending to the top and always getting excuses

I doubt Aqua got rich making excuses

Aquilini said: “Jim makes the hockey decisions. He talks to me all the time and I support him. There’s no shortcuts.” 
(Ironically, “cutting corners” has been a criticism for much of Benning’s tenure by this management group’s harshest critics. The team has traded draft picks with regularity, including first rounders in each of the last two drafts for the first time in Canucks history)

Benning admitted, than his phone call to Aquilini last week to tell the owner he’d be paying $6.3 million USD for veteran Sam Gagner to play in the minors the next two seasons. Gagner, signed by Benning as a free agent only 15 months earlier, was a victim of the Canucks’ youth movement and waived on the eve of the regular season.

“It was a hard conversation,” Benning said. “I tried to explain to him that we had signed Sam but we felt younger players had outperformed him at camp. I was talking about (Nikolay) Goldobin, mostly. We had to make a hard decision on that, and it was hard to have to call him up and explain it. But at the end of the conversation he understood. That was the hardest call I’ve had to make to him.”

Aquilini told Sportsnet: “When they made that decision to put Sam in the minors, when they told me, I wasn’t happy about it. I mean, it’s $3 million (per season). It’s crazy, but that’s what was necessary.”

Just what you’d want to hear from an owner.

Canucks GM Benning talks team owner Aquilini, demoting Gagner - Sportsnet.ca

Good find, I don't remember reading those comments. 

6 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Man, you’d have to think Green’s days are numbered if nothing else but to send a message.  

I’d get someone the GM trusts behind the bench and then figure out what (if anything) the rift is in the locker room.  

If you need to can Benning first or include FA in the discussions then so be it… but this team needs emergency action to salvage what should still be a very serviceable core. 

Gm hired Green TWICE

When last signing him in Spring he said signing him was a priority for him and the players who wanted him

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

The problem is the GM does have someone he trusts behind the bench. God only knows why but he does.

I felt like they took a long time to re-sign Green last year and only did so after the exit interviews.  There was also that Dreger report (I know.. It’s Dreger) that said JB would have fired him already if FA wasn’t holding things up. 

I’ve always felt like JB / Green had different ideas about the roster - at least with stuff like toughness. JB, especially early on, always went out of his way to bring in tougher players but Green always got the worst out of them. Not to excuse Benning because he hired Green… but I don’t think they see eye to eye.

Just now, ilduce39 said:

I felt like they took a long time to re-sign Green last year and only did so after the exit interviews.  There was also that Dreger report (I know.. It’s Dreger) that said JB would have fired him already if FA wasn’t holding things up. 

I’ve always felt like JB / Green had different ideas about the roster - at least with stuff like toughness. JB, especially early on, always went out of his way to bring in tougher players but Green always got the worst out of them. Not to excuse Benning because he hired Green… but I don’t think they see eye to eye.

To me that’s the worst part of that dynamic. They clearly don’t see eye to eye. Green seems to act like he is bulletproof. 

• Cheers 3

15 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Really Karen…with what is happening to the rest of the Aquilini’s holdings this last week I’m thinking the Canucks are the last of his worries. 

The last of his worries? The Canucks should be the most of his worries. And, Karen? Good one. You just worry about getting enough Metamucil and looking after those joints. Time waits for no one. 

Edited by Pickly

Just now, Butters Stoch said:

First time in my 15 years as a Canucks fan that I can't even be bothered to watch the highlights of a game that I didn't watch

You've already seen it. Imagine what you think it looked like. It looked exactly like that, I swear.

• Haha 1