The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

4 hours ago, BPA said:

I could see TBL wanting some more scoring punch. 

Miller for Cernak would probably be a best fit for both teams.

Cernak has an eight year extension kicking in next year, why would they trade a player they've clearly committed to who'll make 5.2M annually for a much more expensive center they don't really need? 

They've got Stamkos and Point down the middle. Sure, Stamkos will need to be re-signed but I reckon it's unlikely he plays for anyone but Tampa. Plus, he's got a long track record of elite level play so it's more likely he ages better than Miller. 981 points in 927 games, 106 points last season, 9 in 5 games already. 

Edited by Coconuts

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

At this point I’m ok with trading bo. I don’t think bo is interested in signing with this team full of loser mentality anyways EP will likely follow suit finish out his rfa years and gtfo

Yup.

If the team is Dysfunctional…it’s time to get out ASAP.

• Haha 1

I am indifferent on whomever gets traded. The reasons are justified given the state of the team. Right now I don't see how Petey and Hughes want to stay. If you care about winning you will get the fuck out of this train wreck asap. It doesn't look like these players even like playing for each other.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

At this point I’m ok with trading bo. I don’t think bo is interested in signing with this team full of loser mentality anyways EP will likely follow suit finish out his rfa years and gtfo

10 hours ago, BPA said:

Yup.

If the team is Dysfunctional…it’s time to get out ASAP.

Depends on managements next steps IMO. 

If they can move the biggest part(s) of whoever is causing the obvious locker room issue, make some positive, future oriented trades and start turning the ship around, all these guys might stay on board (particularly the ones we have some time with).

If they can't and/or it does turn in to a full on, tear down rebuild...

eb4cf210-9409-4478-875a-05e09dd7bcc0_tex

This new management wonder-team has some serious work ahead of them here.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, JM_ said:

So here's a wrinkle, what if Bo's agent stops negotiations after last night?

We need cap flexibility to improve the D.  There is no way that Miller will be traded (I still wish though) as management just signed the extension.  Boeser and Pearson should be moved to then sign Bo and give us flexibility but if Bo’s agent stops negotiations then we trade him (He has actual value on the market).

14 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

We need cap flexibility to improve the D.  There is no way that Miller will be traded (I still wish though) as management just signed the extension.  Boeser and Pearson should be moved to then sign Bo and give us flexibility but if Bo’s agent stops negotiations then we trade him (He has actual value on the market).

yep I'd be just fine moving those two. 

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

At some point, if it hasn't happened already, Bo will get the same look in his eye that Edler got, and want out. Don't blame him, didn't blame Eddy, didn't blame Kesler. Blow it up, tank for a high pick. Goon it up for the next few years to change the culture while drafting high. I heard Costco has goons working for them. Get some of those guys and start a new rebuild properly. The culture is sick here.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

So here's a wrinkle, what if Bo's agent stops negotiations after last night?

I dunno about last night, but maybe? If this continues why wouldn't he consider a fresh start somewhere else? On a team that doesn't look primed for another retool or rebuild? 

I'd still rather keep him but hey, can't let him walk for nothing and we can't make him stay. If it comes down to it I'd bite the bullet and ship both him and Miller out. If we're going to rebuild or retool let's commit to actually being bad for a short stretch, I'd rather be bad than mediocre. Hell, we're already bad. No more half measures. 

This is Pettersson's team, he's the only top six forward who looks to have truly given a shit every game from game one on. If it comes to that point let's build around him, Hughes, and Podz, maybe Demko too. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I dunno about last night, but maybe? If this continues why wouldn't he consider a fresh start somewhere else? On a team that doesn't look primed for another retool or rebuild? 

I'd still rather keep him but hey, can't let him walk for nothing and we can't make him stay. If it comes down to it I'd bite the bullet and ship both him and Miller out. If we're going to rebuild or retool let's commit to actually being bad for a short stretch, I'd rather be bad than mediocre. Hell, we're already bad. No more half measures. 

This is Pettersson's team, he's the only top six forward who looks to have truly given a shit every game from game one on. If it comes to that point let's build around him, Hughes, and Podz, maybe Demko too. 

thats kind of my feeling, if we're going to blow it up, lets blow it up. Goodbye to anyone over 23. 

55 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

BO will be traded at the deadline as a rental with 50% salary retention.  Calgary, Colorado, NY Rangers, Tampa, Carolina.  Lots of teams could be interested...

if Bo ended up in Calgary I think I'd have to stop watching for the rest of the year. That would just suck. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Ep isn’t going to stay if we don’t get competitive. And I don’t see that happening with this group and garbage for D. 
he’s not going to waste his prime playing for a dud.

horvats in his prime he’s be wise to go to a team that might actually have a chance to win something other than the last wildcard spot he wasted enough of his career here.
Jb screwed this club for years to come. 

13 minutes ago, JM_ said:

thats kind of my feeling, if we're going to blow it up, lets blow it up. Goodbye to anyone over 23. 

The longer this goes on the more I lean towards that too. I didn't think we'd look this bad, and I don't this will be our only lengthy losing stretch this season. 

1 minute ago, combover said:

Ep isn’t going to stay if we don’t get competitive. And I don’t see that happening with this group and garbage for D. 

horvats in his prime he’s be wise to go to a team that might actually have a chance to win something other than the last wildcard spot he wasted enough of his career here.

I mean, for the foreseeable future he's a team controlled RFA and it's unlikely he goes anywhere. You don't win by losing a young talent like him, he's a guy you want to build around. 

What happens going forward, and how the players in the room interpret it, depends on the steps taken by management and by how the guys play on the ice. Do they manage to stop the bleeding? Do they continue to dig a deeper hole? Does management allow things to play out or take decisive action? Do we actually commit to a direction or wallow in mediocrity? Lot of what if's. If management can set a clear direction and make significant moves to try and turn this ship around they probably earn some rope with the players in the room who are signed to term, but they're going to have to actually do it and it'll have to be more than just tinkering around the edges. 

I've repeatedly argued that Horvat is a player I'd keep, I stand by that, but I understand that he might not want to stay if this continues. Roots in Vancouver or not. As a pending UFA he's got the ability to do what Pettersson can't, choose to simply walk and explore his UFA options. The longer this goes on the more likely I think it is he leans towards that direction, which likely results in his being traded as we simply can't afford to lose him for nothing. 

I think it's worth acknowledging that our rebuild under Benning probably failed. We drafted some top end talent but weren't able to get much of anything beyond the 1st round, we aren't able to capitalize on the ELC's of our top talent, our professional scouting and talent acquisition were questionable, and we moved out too many picks. I said prior to the season that we'd probably be a bubble playoff team, I didn't think we'd look this bad, and yet here we are fast approaching yet another crossroads with a team that should be better than it's looked. Defense the way it's currently built or not. 

I think there's still a chance to admit mistakes, realize the plan needs change, and take decisive action. Rutherford's made tough moves before, we could certainly do worse as far as the guys in charge go. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

5 hours ago, combover said:

2 things:

1. EP isn't exactly looking dominant out there himself

2. It's not just JB, it's Allvin signing the huge Miller contract and it's the whole team for not showing up super fit and ready to outwork the opposition.

JR just told Sportsnet that a huge rebuild would take too long so they're looking at retooling on the fly.  Heard that before?!!!