The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

27 minutes ago, Paul-walker said:

I would trade him in a second. He has no motor like garland. He can’t score at a top level like Miller. He even isn’t a good leader. Miller had to come to his rescue last yr when team had covid. He not a power forward like Miller. We have too many centres. He hasn’t been able to win before rebuild or after. We need a new captain who is a top scorer to take this team to the next level. 

But he doesn't play hero hockey like Miller.

He shares the puck and plays his role as a match up center.

Miller did jack $hit last game. When your best forward is Miller, you are not winning a single round in the playoffs. We did so well in the bubble playoffs because our best forward was Petey. 

Even if we make the playoffs this season as #3 seed in the Pacific, we are likely going against Calgary. As we saw yesterday, Miller ain't leading us over Calgary that's for sure. In fact, I think we are getting swept in 4.

I would go far as to say that the team started to lose its ways when the important vets like Marky and Tanev left and Miller took over the leadership role. I've never seen any one player set up such dumb play as the one I saw in the OT. That was the very definition of hero hockey -- you get all the glory if you win but if you turn it over, it's the team's loss. 

No teammate appreciates that kind of play, be it at pro level or pick up level. For me at least, I never pass to a guy not coming back defensively just waiting to cherry pick a pass. If Demko made that save, he wasn't even ready to receive a pass and go on a breakaway. 

We need to retool and the best piece to move is the most selfish player on the team. And that's Miller.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

its why we need a legit 3C back. Bo can take over 1C. Petey 2C. Lammikko 4C.

I'm fine even finishing the season with Horvat, Pettersson, Chytil and Lammiko as our C's. But in the summer, management needs to add one of Paul/Tierney/Sturm (or similar) to the roster.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Reports say that's not true.

If he and his agent don't try dragging it on as reports suggest they won't, and they just get it done with term, everyone's happy. 

He also said he wants to stay. 

An offer would have to be monstrous if we move our captain.

Hope it works out but he’s worth more than big Petey at this point

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Well you are assuming the baseline is that we actually have a way to keep Miller and Horvat.

I had posted that we give Horvat a chance chance to extend early, and only move on if he won’t.  If he doesn’t want to on July 1st then that is a clear indication that we aren’t going to have him when he is a UFA a year later so we might as wlll get some assets back.

If we get picks in trades there is nothing saying that we can’t flip them for more immediate needs.

So yeah. Basically same situation as Miller with Bo a little down the road. I think Bo will resign here. If I remember correctly, he’s said he wants to win here

i'ld be more inclined to trade wingers than centers. if we trade centers, we'll need to replace them with centers.

offer us a strong skating defensive minded dman to compliment hughes, a speedy right shot center and prospects and draft picks. we'll do lunch.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, 70seven said:

I think they extend Bo 8x6M.

Miller is dealt in offseason for futures when teams cap situations open up. 

Garland dealt in season for a 3C. Perhaps Zacha. 

Doesn’t Zacha seem like he’s trending the way of Galchenyuk?

Not sure that’s enough to trade Garland for. We traded a 9th overall for him and he’s still only 25.

Id rather keep Garly and acquire a third line center another way.

• Vintage 1

49 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

So yeah. Basically same situation as Miller with Bo a little down the road. I think Bo will resign here. If I remember correctly, he’s said he wants to win here

Bo's a completely different animal than Miller as far as the Canucks go too. We're Miller's third team, he likely would have preferred to stay in Tampa, and this is his third year here. Whereas we drafted Bo, he was groomed by two of our best players ever to be captain, he's got roots here, and he's our captain. 

Miller has no reason to do us any favours, Bo's likely more invested in Vancouver and the Canucks. Could easily see him being a one team player. 

I think he could be sold on a retool of sorts as opposed to a teardown, we've got pieces to build with and some great young talent. 

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Doesn’t Zacha seem like he’s trending the way of Galchenyuk?

Not sure that’s enough to trade Garland for. We traded a 9th overall for him and he’s still only 25.

Id rather keep Garly and acquire a third line center another way.

6’3” / 210 24 year old LW/C I agree that there’s an add that is needed, but this could be a reasonable downgrade on Miller if there’s a want to add size at the age/$$ they like. 

Edited by 70seven

VAN

Lafrenière

Kravtsov

Schneider

1st ‘22

NYR

Horvat

and I don’t agree with myself on that one since it is much harder to find a steady C throughout the lineup; Pettersson, Horvat, Lammikko and Dickinson is decent depth for once.

Id have to think of this one really hard, as only Lafrenière is NHL ready and constant. Miller can also play center.

This then becomes the Miller team.

It’s a choice.

Edited by Me_
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Me_ said:

VAN

Lafrenière

Kravtsov

Schneider

1st ‘22

NYR

Horvat

and I don’t agree with myself on that one since it is much harder to find a steady C throughout the lineup and Miller, Pettersson, Horvat, Lammikko is decent depth for once.

Id have to think of this one really hard, as only Lafrenière is NHL ready and constant.

It’s a choice.

I just don’t see this happening regarding Horvat.  I’m inclined to believe he gets locked up this summer… as both parties want to stay.  The same can’t be said for Miller… at least not yet. 

I do wonder if theres a plan to clear cap with Garland/Dickinson/Poolman/Motte/Halak so that they can retain all of Boeser, Horvat, and Miller with term… which I would not be opposed to at all 

Edited by 70seven
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, 70seven said:

I just don’t see this happening regarding Horvat.  I’m inclined to believe he gets locked up this summer… as both parties want to stay.  The same can’t be said for Miller… at least not yet. 

I do wonder if theres a plan to clear cap with Garland/Dickinson/Poolman/Motte/Halak so that they can retain all of Boeser, Horvat, and Miller with term… which I would not be opposed to at all 

That sounds like excellent decision-making.

$11,600,000 off the books without Motte.

$12,825,000 off with Motte out.

Thats some excellent cash to reserve the services of Boeser, Horvat and Miller.

And we’ve got a player-agent-AGM on board. Gillis without the arrogance. We all know she’ll be the Canucks GM one day.

I think we’re in good shape.

Edited by Me_
  • Huggy Bear 1

19 minutes ago, Me_ said:

VAN

Lafrenière

Kravtsov

Schneider

1st ‘22

NYR

Horvat

and I don’t agree with myself on that one since it is much harder to find a steady C throughout the lineup; Pettersson, Horvat, Lammikko and Dickinson is decent depth for once.

Id have to think of this one really hard, as only Lafrenière is NHL ready and constant. Miller can also play center.

It’s a choice.

You think Horvat is worth 3 recent high 1st round picks (including the 1st oa just a season and a half ago) plus another 1st round pick?  That’s insane.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Bo's a completely different animal than Miller as far as the Canucks go too. We're Miller's third team, he likely would have preferred to stay in Tampa, and this is his third year here. Whereas we drafted Bo, he was groomed by two of our best players ever to be captain, he's got roots here, and he's our captain. 

Miller has no reason to do us any favours, Bo's likely more invested in Vancouver and the Canucks. Could easily see him being a one team player. 

I think he could be sold on a retool of sorts as opposed to a teardown, we've got pieces to build with and some great young talent. 

I tend to agree with you that Bo's got more roots here in Vancouver. But it is a business after all, isn't it? Danny and Hank were close to leaving Vancouver, if I'm not mistaken, at one point in their careers. Thankfully they remained, but it just tells you that this is a business at the end of the day. It's also management's responsibility to resign Horvat. Good thing some of the rumors that are out there are that JR is looking at pretty much everyone on the roster, minus Bo and Petey. 

I could see Bo being a one team guy as well. I can easily see him resigning this summer to a contract extension (if he's able to), to a 6/7 year deal worth 6/6.5M. 

Miller I agree that he doesn't give the impression that he wants to remain here. And like you've said, he's been here three years, and probably has no reason to do the Canucks any favours. I can see him going back to either NY or the Lightning. NY, well, there's really no need to explain why. It's New York. Tampa Bay, because they are one of the best organizations, top to bottom. Model franchise, really. And they just won back to back championships. Tax free state, which means players really keep more of their money, as opposed to being a Canuck, where you're going to get taxed here like crazy. 

5 hours ago, JM_ said:

its why we need a legit 3C back. Bo can take over 1C. Petey 2C. Lammikko 4C.

Miller has proven he is a good centre and much better than Petey.

Petey needs to put on a few more pounds, improve his core strength (so he is harder to knock off the puck and stronger on the boards) and improve his faceoff percentage. I am confident that Petey will make those improvements but, until then, he should stay on the wing.  

I would love to keep JT and Bo, but if we have to trade one, I’d prefer to keep Bo who we groomed and who is a few years younger. If we trade JT or Bo, we need to get a good young centre back. We also need a top RHD prospect and I hope JR and PA can work some magic.

The current Canucks have shown great strides but we would be lucky to reach the playoffs this year.

• Cheers 1