The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

49 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Newhook and a second would be atrocious. 

I am sure there will be better offers than that, that's just someone spit balling, if that is the best offer available, F it, re sign the guy. He is worth more than that, and you can't develop a rep for selling too low on guys that are legit good assets.

Doesn't seem like it but when you look across the stats and consider the team, Bo is one of the best centers in the game right now. He's not piling on cheap assists, he's scoring massive goals, kills penalties, win faceoffs, throws the body, does it all. I'd say he's top-10 in the league right now (maybe drops if his scoring pace drops off). I know guys like McDavid, Draisaitl, Crosby and Tage Thompson are all up there as well in the scoring but no one does it all like Bo. He's playing at Bergeron levels right now. For a playoff-bound team, that is arguably the most valuable asset.

If we're trading with the Avs we should be fleecing them. Newhook is dreadful, isn't living up to his reputation and is undersized and doesn't do much apart from score, and he hasn't even proven he can consistently do that yet. Newhook is the sweetener. I'd consider Byram or (more likely) Girard + 1st + Newhook for Bo + maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick (just to even bodies up really). 

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

BO had 52 points last year.  So best to sell high while he is at the top of his game.  These numbers are not sustainable for him, just like 99 points for Miller was not sustainable.  

If we sign BO to an 8x8 contract, he will most likely fall back to that 60 point player and eventually will become a 3C on this team...

Oh I agree. I am in the trade Bo camp for that reason precisely. But to say that he is a 3c is ridiculous. He is producing at a 1C level this year and that is indisputable.

10 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Oh I agree. I am in the trade Bo camp for that reason precisely. But to say that he is a 3c is ridiculous. He is producing at a 1C level this year and that is indisputable.

BO isn’t a 1C no matter how many goals he scores. A 1C is a player who sets up his line mates more than he scores.  BO has 7 assists. Compare that will all of the top 1C’s in the league who have 15-20-25 assists. 

I would rather have a 2C who is a Petey lite. We can always find a Manny Malhotra type to play as a 3C and be our top face off man. 

• RoughGame 1

Rev up those Horvat to Colorado proposals, I'd be shocked if they didn't have serious interest. Acquiring another top six center could be the difference them making and missing the playoffs. And given Mac's contract kicks in next season it's likely they'll want to take a crack at it. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Rev up those Horvat to Colorado proposals, I'd be shocked if they didn't have serious interest. Acquiring another top six center could be the difference them making and missing the playoffs. And given Mac's contract kicks in next season it's likely they'll want to take a crack at it. 

Don't really like what they have to offer.  If I'm Vancouver, I'm asking for:

Byram

Newhook

1st

On paper this looks like a lot, but keep these in mind:

- Byram comes with possible concussion and injury issues.

- Newhook is soon to be 22yo, and is a bit undersized to be a highly effective centre.

- 1st would likely be very late in the round.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Byram

Newhook

1st

- Newhook is soon to be 22yo, and is a bit undersized to be a highly effective centre.

If Byram is offered straight up I take that. Hell, I even add Rathbone if it gets the job done. That being said, no chance Byram is being traded.

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

BO had 52 points last year.  So best to sell high while he is at the top of his game.  These numbers are not sustainable for him, just like 99 points for Miller was not sustainable.  

If we sign BO to an 8x8 contract, he will most likely fall back to that 60 point player and eventually will become a 3C on this team...

Couldn't be the fact he has the best wingers of his career? 

37 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Byram

Newhook

1st

Agreed, hard to see how Colorado is a good trade partner...unless they go all NBA on us and offer 2 or 3 1st round picks.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Byram

Newhook

1st

Agreed, they traded a lot of what I'd have been interested away last season. But I'd still listen, would have interest in Byram. I'd be willing to take picks instead of Newhook but he could potentially be a good winger? Even a last round 1st is still good, there could be good D prospects to be had later in the 1st round. 

I don't think they're keen on giving up Byram but I could see us asking for him. They're in a really tough spot right now though with essentially no top six center's. 

Just now, J-Dizzle said:

Well that’s a terrible take. 

Bo is a very good player but he’s definitely not a number one C on a top team.  He’s a scoring 2C for sure.  But he does lack the play driving ability or the defensive acumen to be a one C.  Petey is a one C.  Love Bo, but he’s a two C.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Bo is a very good player but he’s definitely not a number one C on a top team.  He’s a scoring 2C for sure.  But he does lack the play driving ability or the defensive acumen to be a one C.  Petey is a one C.  Love Bo, but he’s a two C.  

Go read what I quoted and get back to me. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Exactly.  BO isn't a play driver, doesn't set up his linemates and isn't great defensively.  Petey is a 1C.  If someone can't tell the difference between Petey and BO then I can't really help them...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Couldn't be the fact he has the best wingers of his career? 

So you think BO is now a 60 goal scorer?  Weren't we all talking about this last year with Miller and how it was unsustainable that he scores 99 points?  Now BO is doing the same thing and he has "better wingers", so now he's going to be a regular 60 goal man.  I don't think so.  But if we can sucker even one team in the NHL to believe that then hopefully we can get a major haul for BO at the TDL...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

So you think BO is now a 60 goal scorer?  Weren't we all talking about this last year with Miller and how it was unsustainable that he scores 99 points?  Now BO is doing the same thing and he has "better wingers", so now he's going to be a regular 60 goal man.  I don't think so.  But if we can sucker even one team in the NHL to believe that then hopefully we can get a major haul for BO at the TDL...

Yup.  Love No but he’s got to go.  The return, if Aquilini will allow it to happen, is just too important to our future to pass.  

Bo to the Avs might bring us Byram and Newhook!  Maybe we add Rathbone, but getting those two young guys would help us be a better club in two years than we are now.  Come on Aquilini!  Let JR do his job.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think we all can agree this current roster needs a change of direction, points come and go for any forward, but if you want to make the largest possible impact without carving your entire roster up, then you trade Bo. Not every day the captain for an NHL club gets moved or is even available for trade. I love what he has been doing this year, but it’s time for a change and this will definitely make the most impact on our roster. Everyone else we have to get creative to trade, Boeser, Garland, Myers…I hate the idea of trading these guys purely for cap space and very little return when you can trade Bo and potentially round out your roster issues in one stroke. If we got a decent 2/3 C back and a good RD defensive prospect plus some picks I think it’s a big win. And that’s not a crazy out of the ball park ask for a player like Bo. 

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Bo is the better player over Miller Every single time. We should have traded Miller and still should try to trade Miller and keep Bo. Bo is a consistent player just starting to get line mates of his quality. I don't think thats a coincidence. And I doubt anyone save Mathews gets close to 60, that's a typical CDC over reaction. Bo is the captain this team needs until Petey is ready. Even if the haul is great. Trade Miller and Boeser and Garland, try to Pearson etc.