The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

Difference between Bo and Miller I think is that Miller is the type of guy to step in and take control of his contract negotiations i.e tell his agent to get a deal done. That’s the sense I got from all his summer interviews.

Bo seems like the type of guy that would just sit back and let his agent take care of everything. Seems to defer to his agent every time he’s asked about contracts.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Difference between Bo and Miller I think is that Miller is the type of guy to step in and take control of his contract negotiations i.e tell his agent to get a deal done. That’s the sense I got from all his summer interviews.

Bo seems like the type of guy that would just sit back and let his agent take care of everything. Seems to defer to his agent every time he’s asked about contracts.

It might very well be that Bo needs to make the first move.  

If so, then I applaud JR & co for sticking to their guns and try to make a great team that is cap compliant and hopefully no more dead salary (cap).

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, McBackup said:

"Bo is soft. He doesn't punch back or stick up for himself or the team"

Here are multiple examples of Bo not being soft, fighting and sticking up for himself and the team.

"Oh yeah but that doesn't count."

Okay. Great goalpost moving. Let's trade Bo for Tom Wilson and make him captain then. 

Of course nothing short of a captain who gets ejected every night and personally writes a handritten note calling your mother a bitch will ever be "hard enough to play against" for people with this mindset.

I didn’t say it doesn’t count. 
I said it’s not impressive to me.  
Virtanen did as much fighting as him, and much more hitting.  

You don’t have to agree with me. That’s fine.  IMO, the guy is plain dry white toast. 

Zero emotion out there. Zero aggression.  

That’s not to say he isn’t a great player, but he doesn’t get me stoked on his play very often.  

For a captain, I don’t like his style of play. 

I like a Stan Smyl. Linden to an extent.  
Iginla was a fantastic leader.  
I’d take Iggy as a captain before Bo, Hank or Marcus hands down, 100% of the time.  
Not saying I’d rather have him as a player than them, but as a captain, no questions asked.  

48 minutes ago, gurn said:

Imo, the team is the one that needs to get going on a deal.

Bo can simply walk as a free agent after this season.

Someone will pay him big dollars.

Then it becomes like the Miller situation.  Either Bo signs a somewhat team friendly deal ($6.5-7M x 7-8yrs) or he gets traded.  Sucks but the Canucks shouldn’t be afraid to trade a fan favourite.  Otherwise the team may be forever in cap hell and a mediocre team.

15 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

32 NHL teams would like Iggy as their captain. Those players are few and far between especially in todays NHL. Makes for good hyperbole I guess. 

All these people have to do is look around the league at the Captains in todays nhl to see they live in a dream world. Any where from Small defencemen to Lady Byng winners are captains. Yes there are others like a Landeskog for instance but the captain these people want, Hell there isn’t even 32 players like that in the NHL. 

• Cheers 2

The way I see it, Boeser's contract sets a baseline/minimum for Horvat at $6.6. If an underachieving Boeser can get $6.6 per, surely a performing Horvat deserves at least that amount. Petterson was given $7.3 and Bo's numbers were similar last season. So it only makes sense to give Horvat $7 per and call it a day. Ideally $7 x 5 ... but $7 x 6 takes him to 33. Have to look at how many 32/33+ players we'll have by then. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar

34 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

32 NHL teams would like Iggy as their captain. Those players are few and far between especially in todays NHL. Makes for good hyperbole I guess. 

That style is my ideal captain.  
When that is the type of captain you look for….. it kinda makes sense why Bo isn’t my guy. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

again i still don't get your point.. horvat have 17 goals EV vs Miller have 24 goals EV.. who plays more tougher matchup EV? Horvat or Miller? so horvat only have 7 less goals in 20 less games than Miller EV playing on the 2nd line with lesser linemates while playing against the other teams top line therefore horvat is bad EV? almost all of horvat's assist in 5v5 situation are primary assist.. what does that tell you? his linemates have 0 playmaking capability.. he also doesn't have the luxury or playing with a QH 5v5 most of the time. brock and ep on his line is very minimal.. brock is literally on JT millers line for 90% of the season 5v5 and EP was on his own line majority of the season. you talked as if they were his most consistent linemates all year.

so are you telling me if bo plays 82 games this season they will drop his avg number of faceoff from 22 to 18? just so he stays under 1500? bo have avg 21-22 faceoff a game the past 5 seasons.. what is so hard to understand about that? so are you saying all the future season bo will play less than 70 games or every season the NHL season would be shortened?? coz unless they change his deployment he is still going to get 21-22 draws a night? and that'll end up to be 1700-1800? since Miller's arrival his avg number of faceoff per game never really dropped?? so what the heck are you even getting at?

I'm not just talking out of my ass.  How's this for "90%" of the time:  Here are the line combos.  

In case reading compression is tough for you - check out how well Horvat did with EP and Brock. Then see how Miller did.  And how Pearson did. Or Garland.   This idea that Horvat can be a line driver on his own is a little foolish.   Especially given two coaches now have tried it with mixed results.   And that only Green spent any time with the failed Lotto line, which i already stated.   That line had its time in the sun but it's faded.   How many minutes did EP actually play with Miller?   Who actually drove the play? 

Looks like Pearson, EP and Miller to me.  Although EP and Brock looked good with Horvat so who knows.   EP Horvat Garland awful.    Last year was a total blender.    Miller did just fine with almost all his assignments and a lot of them didn't have EP and Brock. 

image.png.cb5b06a4286c916e8dd906f3672b2b69.png

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I mean.. isn't that why players pay agents..? 

Yes but at a certain point it’s your career and your future you have to take control of.

Agents are self interested too meaning they’re gonna push management as far as they can to maximize a contract and make the most amount of money.

If you let your agent push away too long the odds of you getting traded start to go up. If you’re happy in your situation and things are close enough, you need to step up and tell your agent to get a deal done. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yes but at a certain point it’s your career and your future you have to take control of.

Agents are self interested too meaning they’re gonna push management as far as they can to maximize a contract and make the most amount of money.

If you let your agent push away too long the odds of you getting traded start to go up. If you’re happy in your situation and things are close enough, you need to step up and tell your agent to get a deal done. 

Agents are absolutely self-serving, no question. But they're also hired to do a job and more often than not things get done. 

As far as I'm aware we don't know what happened with the Miller deal, I've yet to see concrete proof that it's Miller who initiated to what quickly lead to a conclusion. But it's a nice narrative. For all we know it's the Canucks who caved, or maybe both sides compromised. Bottom line is we don't know, we get tidbits through the media but most of the time even those have to be taken with a grain of salt. Most hockey players don't air their contract talk laundry in public, they'll say they want to stay with x team or that they're committed to the team, or some other generic thing of that sort. 

There was a lot of speculation over the summer regarding Miller but for the most part we didn't actually hear too much from him, same can be said of Bo. The difference in public perception regarding Miller and Horvat stems from time served though, given last season was Horvat's eighth season here whereas it was Miller's third. 

1 hour ago, D.B Cooper said:

When that is the type of captain you look for….. it kinda makes sense why Bo isn’t my guy. 

I get what you mean, and your talking to a guy who grew up with an Iginla poster on my wall and I have an Iginla Cup Finals Patch jersey now. He was a special player. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

I'm not just talking out of my ass.  How's this for "90%" of the time:  Here are the line combos.  

In case reading compression is tough for you - check out how well Horvat did with EP and Brock. Then see how Miller did.  And how Pearson did. Or Garland.   This idea that Horvat can be a line driver on his own is a little foolish.   Especially given two coaches now have tried it with mixed results.   And that only Green spent any time with the failed Lotto line, which i already stated.   That line had its time in the sun but it's faded.   How many minutes did EP actually play with Miller?   Who actually drove the play? 

Looks like Pearson, EP and Miller to me.  Although EP and Brock looked good with Horvat so who knows.   EP Horvat Garland awful.    Last year was a total blender.    Miller did just fine with almost all his assignments and a lot of them didn't have EP and Brock. 

image.png.cb5b06a4286c916e8dd906f3672b2b69.png

so all i can see is Miller have the most consistent linemate on his line almost all the time? outside of 54 mins he have either a pearson or boeser on his line at all times? 7 less EV goals in 10 less games playing majority of your 5v5 against other top lines and mostly starting in your defensive zone and he's the most useless overrated captain ever. and i dunnno whats consider fine.. literally all the lines with miller on it have the highest GA/60 with the exception of the ep horvat garland line... they literally give up as much goals as they scored..  

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Agents are absolutely self-serving, no question. But they're also hired to do a job and more often than not things get done. 

As far as I'm aware we don't know what happened with the Miller deal, I've yet to see concrete proof that it's Miller who initiated to what quickly lead to a conclusion. But it's a nice narrative. For all we know it's the Canucks who caved, or maybe both sides compromised. Bottom line is we don't know, we get tidbits through the media but most of the time even those have to be taken with a grain of salt. Most hockey players don't air their contract talk laundry in public, they'll say they want to stay with x team or that they're committed to the team, or some other generic thing of that sort. 

There was a lot of speculation over the summer regarding Miller but for the most part we didn't actually hear too much from him, same can be said of Bo. The difference in public perception regarding Miller and Horvat stems from time served though, given last season was Horvat's eighth season here whereas it was Miller's third. 

It was confirmed by Millers agent that he was the one that pushed to leave money on the table which is ultimately what allowed a deal to get done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

19 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Bo has way more in common with the style of leader Iggy was than anyone else on our team…..

Edited by J-Dizzle
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It was confirmed by Millers agent that he was the one that pushed to leave money on the table which is ultimately what allowed a deal to get done.

Nearly $60 Mill, over if u include this last year of his current deal, is more than what Luongo commanded.

Miller may have not maxxed out. Its no cheap contract I would consider truly team friendly regardless.

• Upvote 1