The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

I'm not just talking out of my ass.  How's this for "90%" of the time:  Here are the line combos.  

In case reading compression is tough for you - check out how well Horvat did with EP and Brock. Then see how Miller did.  And how Pearson did. Or Garland.   This idea that Horvat can be a line driver on his own is a little foolish.   Especially given two coaches now have tried it with mixed results.   And that only Green spent any time with the failed Lotto line, which i already stated.   That line had its time in the sun but it's faded.   How many minutes did EP actually play with Miller?   Who actually drove the play? 

Looks like Pearson, EP and Miller to me.  Although EP and Brock looked good with Horvat so who knows.   EP Horvat Garland awful.    Last year was a total blender.    Miller did just fine with almost all his assignments and a lot of them didn't have EP and Brock. 

image.png.cb5b06a4286c916e8dd906f3672b2b69.png

That Motte - Lammikko - Highmore line was pretty darn good.  Can't believe they are all gone.  I remember some games they were literally our best line.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That Motte - Lammikko - Highmore line was pretty darn good.  Can't believe they are all gone.  I remember some games they were literally our best line.

Liked that line also but Motte and Highmore way to small to have together as a fourth line. I think Dakota Joshua becomes the next fan favourite here

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Nearly $60 Mill, over if u include this last year of his current deal, is more than what Luongo commanded.

Miller may have not maxxed out. Its no cheap contract I would consider truly team friendly regardless.

Luongo’s deal was signed 13 years ago and goalies get paid different than forwards, not really comparable.

Miller could have easily commanded 9+ million on the open market. He for sure left money on the table, all you have to do is look at the other contracts that were signed this summer.

• Vintage 2

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

It was confirmed by Millers agent that he was the one that pushed to leave money on the table which is ultimately what allowed a deal to get done.

Not really a good indication that Miller took less money, when you’re using a quote from the horse’s mouth. Of course, Miller’s agent is going to say “he left money on the table” to protect his client’s image.

We haven’t heard a direct quote from JR/PA saying anything about Miller, leaving money on the table.

If that were the case, don’t you think Horvat would have been signed by now? Leaving extra money for Horvat to sign an extension.

Edited by shiznak
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, shiznak said:

Not really a good indication that Miller took less money, when you’re using a quote from the horse’s mouth. Of course, Miller’s agent is going to say “he left money on the table” to protect his client’s image.

We haven’t heard a direct quote from JR/PA saying anything about Miller, leaving money on the table.

If that were the case, don’t you think Horvat would have been signed by now? Leaving extra money for Horvat to sign an extension.

I still think a deal with Bo gets done. 7-7.5M for 8 years. No trade for the first 4 years, after that, it's fair game. 

Front load that contract, so it's easier to move in the latter years. 

23 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

According to Elliotte Friedman the Canucks have offered under $6 million.  So I highly doubt he gets $7 million in Vancouver...

it's posturing at this point right. They can't be serious to be offering someone who scored 31 goals under 6M. I think he'll sign for more than what Brock got. It'll be closer to 7M, maybe a little more than that, but he might not get the max term. 7M for 6 years? If Bo wants security, he'll probably have to take a little less than 7M to get that, and no NTC's. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, CanuckleHorse said:

Just so you know Miller didn’t set the west coast on fire after Bo went down check his stats through the last 10 games so don’t discount what our CAPTAIN brings to this team.

Bruce even said that if Horvat didn't go down, the playoffs were within reach (six points out).    Horvat was on fire down the stretch, both him and Miller (and EP) were working hard to get us to the playoffs.   

The magic trick Allvin needs to do, is add a top four D that fits with what we need (ideally two but even one will help a lot), and keep Horvat on the team too. I don't like the Miller vs Horvat who should be captain dialogue.   Championship teams have a lot of leaders in the room. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

it's posturing at this point right. They can't be serious to be offering someone who scored 31 goals under 6M. I think he'll sign for more than what Brock got. It'll be closer to 7M, maybe a little more than that, but he might not get the max term. 7M for 6 years? If Bo wants security, he'll probably have to take a little less than 7M to get that, and no NTC's. 

Yep.  6.7-7 seems like the correct range. Let's hope he takes a discount to stay and further help the team. 

Edited by IBatch

The two contracts that Horvat's camp can use as ammo are Kadri's and Hayes.

Kadri's because of his age.   And Hayes because he kind of set the high bar for 50ish point second line centers.    There are others like Landeskog (a flat cap deal for half the contract though, and 12% less taxes), and Schenn's - who in my mind is a great comp for Horvat, 7 x 8 and 6.5 ...  

The market cap available next season is going to be awfully thin.    A ton of RFAs come up for raises, only a few teams will be lucky enough to dump cap to ARI and SEA plus maybe one other team.   

Horvat likely still gets his contract on the open market but it's not a foregone conclusion either...quite a few Hall/Klingberg type deals could occur just to get to the following year when cap is expected to go back up.   One year early.    Hope that he's signed before the start of the season.   We don't need the distraction, neither does the team.   7 x 8 seems fair.    Anything less would be a discount.  Anything more ... well we do need that RHD...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No doubt.   And that third line Bruce made with Hogs EP Podz was very effective too... he also gained his confidence back.  

Really hope they work hard at camp to see where the new guys fit best. 

Kuzmo EP Podz?   

Pearson Horvat Ilya M

Garland Miller Boeser 

Edited by IBatch

19 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You know what, we are a bottom feeding non playoff team since BO arrived.  He's done nothing to help up get to the promised land.  So I don't really care whether he signs here or not.  If JR wants to trade him for a top 4 Dman I would be all for it.  There are lots of guys out there we can chase down who can play as a true 3C.  BO isn't the second coming and he's not great defensively, as you said he was put in that role by force, and quite frankly he's not a great leader either (he's no Stan Smyl or Trevor Linden)...

Wouldn't know what's going on in the locker room.   He did show some leadership in the bubble.   With the stuff going on with Miller and his obvious props (Bruce called him the leader of this team this off season... which does kind of add a little fuel not that it's a fire i think we need, or the team needs...not yet anyways).  Espo and Orr weren't the Captains, neither was Lafluer or Robinson on the Habs team that likely never will lose the crown as the best team all-time)...

I like that the team has lots of leadership.   Myers and OEL too.   Horvat isn't a bad captain.    But i do also pine for some Smyl or Linden.   And Miller at least shows some emotion on the ice and off of it.   

Wouldn't surprise me if Horvat is traded either if the ask is too much.   Will he take a discount to stay on the team like Miller insisted on?  And in that case we all know who's going to be the new captain.    It's a little sad that the two best leaders we've seen had tough times while doing that role ...one had to deal with NYI, EDM and CAL... the other Messier coming into the locker room like a princess, and throwing a hand grenade into it.   Naslund was mentored by Messier.   People think Sundin magically made the Sedins who they were and some have even said Kesler too!  What a complete load of BS.   The reality is, Naslund was Messier's linemate, and repeatedly said he learned his role as the "leader" because of Messier.    

Then Hank.   Followed in Naslunds footsteps, and Horvat in his.    If we want to pull the root out, and dispose of it, with utter honesty,  Naslund/Sedin/Horvat, although being their own man for sure, got their "stuff" from Messier in a way which is ironic.  

Miller well he'd be a great Captain i'm sure.  Horvat is just ok.   Should have gave Jovo the C and broke the chain when we could have lol. 

Edit:  Wouldn't surprise me - for two reasons.   Horvats camp bent JB over a barrel the first time around.   It went to the 11th hour.   It wasn't really a team friendly RFA deal - just a fair one that's it.   Secondly, JR and Alvin already said this team has cap issues.   Not sure why they'd add to it if the ask is ridiculous.    I do hope he signs, and that it starts with a 6.   If that happens,  Horvat also is following suit and leaving money on the table.   Teams that win cups often do this.   I hope he does. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/20/2022 at 7:40 PM, Sophomore Jinx said:

If JR/PA thought that 7x8 was value for Bo, shouldn't he be signed by now?

Maybe Bo wants more, who knows, but why have a pissing contest, to the last minute if he's the revered captain? Why would they wait so long? Unless perhaps they (FA/JR/PA) have an internal "hard" number that is much less, and one that they will not divert from?

Because mngt is not impatient.  Neither is Bo.  They will find the middle ground.

Remember what every "we have to trade Miller" poster had to eat for dinner the day JT signed.

On 9/21/2022 at 1:23 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

According to Elliotte Friedman the Canucks have offered under $6 million.  So I highly doubt he gets $7 million in Vancouver...

Gone to the dark side EP?

Believing media seeking attention rather than what both mngt and Bo are saying?

To hell with EF; just a mealy-mouthed make-shite-up, 'reporter'.  (And a horrible dresser; can't look at that mess.)

Bo is going to sign; 6.5-7m x 8.

Now let's enjoy camp.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

On 9/21/2022 at 2:16 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

No and neither did Tampa or Colorado over the last 3 years.  We don't need 3 top centres, we need 2 top centres which we already have and a true 3C like a Manny Malhotra.

If we keep BO then Miller can play with Petey, if we trade BO then Miller can stay at centre.  Either way we still need that true 3C whether we keep BO or not.  The rolling of 3 lines may work in the short term but long term it's not going to be successful...

So now you know more than Bruce?

What happened to Elias Pettersson deja vu.

This contract negotiation is an opportunity, not a problem to fret over.

Because of the flat cap and league-wide shortage, we will be able to lock Bo up for years at what will very soon become a great value deal.

Team spirit is getting very high now that Miller has signed a team-friendly deal and Bo will see this as an opportunity to continue to build team spirit and team quality, and to secure his long-term future.

Both sides know they are going to do a deal; and it is going to be great for the team and for us fans.

Neither is going to risk what we have here piddling over a few hundred grand.

I like aGent's 53m by 8yrs for Bo Horvat #53 (AAV $6.62) because it is in range and sounds good: 53 for 53.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

Because of the flat cap and league-wide shortage, we will be able to lock Bo up for years at what will very soon become a great value deal.

Why would Bo sign 'up for years' at a low hit, when people keep saying the cap is going to do a massive jump?

dude can just wait till next off season and sign anywhere.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1