The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Pittsburgh Penguins at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 04, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I can't tell what the number is, but it def doesn't look like a 40

Someone on 650 AM said it was Bo's number - but I'm not sure and I don't think it matters, as I doubt that fan was particularly frustated with any one player - rather the whole $h1t show this team and organization has become!

2 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Someone on 650 AM said it was Bo's number - but I'm not sure and I don't think it matters, as I doubt that fan was particularly frustated with any one player - rather the whole $h1t show this team and organization has become!

That was my guess, because the one number I can kinda make out looks like a 5

But yeah, I agree 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Agreed. We have literally the worst penalty kill in HISTORY. That's... insane. 

I honestly think things can turn around quite a bit with new coaching and a new system. It'll take some time, but I bet we get a good 30 games or so this season if the change is made immediately.

Obviously this team isnt going to win a stanley cup, but theres enough talent to be comptetitive in every game if they actually had systems that had a hope of working. 

And who’s in charge of the PK? Isn’t it Baumgartner? I’m willing to be that he doesn’t find another NHL gig on an NHL bench. 

I cannot believe ownership is wondering if a change has to be made. What are they &^@#ing waiting for. 

I know that management has been neutered. They haven’t spoken, showed their face, haven’t made a move. Owner doesn’t want Benning to speak, because the last time he spoke, it was so uninspiring. I don’t hate Benning as the person, but man, as a GM, his body of work over the last 8 years, has not been good. I would not be surprised if he never works or gets another GM job in the NHL . 

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, TFerguson said:

I always hear people saying, 'Vancouver fans aren't patient enough for a true rebuiild.' I completely disagree. I've been wanting a proper rebuild since they got swept by the Sharks in the playoffs 2012. What we're not patient enough for is enduring a rebuild that never happens with a team that stays middle of the pack for eight years. 

I would LOVE the Aquilinis to come out and tell us they're bringing in a new President of Hockey Ops with tonnes of experience and that person will hire their own GM who will hire their own coach. The PHO will replace Francesco's role and will report directly to the whole board. 

Then let that team come in with fresh eyes on the group and build it from scracth. I agree with Bieksa that they should build the team starting with Demko and out from there. Salvage the Superstars (or trade), Develop some of the kids, but get a couple real top four D to anchor the blue line.

I'd sign up for a true rebuild starting today. I'd forgive the last eight years on the spot if some new management team showed up a cast a clear and compelling vision for moving this team ahead starting right now. 

Clap GIF

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

And records like this typically come from teams you know trying to rebuild and not spending to the cap…

Im surprised Aquilini hasn’t thrown a fit and fired Benning in the middle of the night for wasting so much of his money.

In fact can we even confirm Benning came back from the Vegas trip? Maybe he’s in a hole in the desert.

Years ago he was pissed about $6 million per year on LE

Also years ago openly upset with paying Gagner $6.3 million USD to play in the minors the next two seasons and it still got worse moneywise

I think something will happen either with the family figurehead and management

Montreal showed that POH should be obvious 1st step if they are to start

8 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

If you're going to throw a jersey, throw a blank one.  Cheaper as well.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

For some of "The Millenials" out there who haven't seen how bad things can really get, trust me when i say that things can & will get much worse if aqua-Lini continues his "Absentee landlord" routine with this franchise.   This is only the beginning.  Thousands of fans in the stands tonight, here on CDC and at home, have reached the breaking point!

Yes!!  This is what I foresee tomorrow morning at the doors of Rogers Arena!:

Angry mob? — EA Forums

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Im surprised Aquilini hasn’t thrown a fit and fired Benning in the middle of the night for wasting so much of his money.

It was Aquilini's plan, IMO. He hired guys (Linden & Benning) that shared his philosophy of a quick, competitive retool. That's why Gillis was fired - he wanted a proper rebuild.

Aquilini felt that more cap = better team so he told Benning to go out and sign guys and that's exactly what Benning did. Unfortunately pro scouting & UFA contract negotiation under Benning was very smelly.

I think a lot of the reason Aquilini has been hesitant to fire Benning is simply due to ego, it would be admitting a big mistake.

• Cheers 1

My observations...sigh

Been sitting on the fence for a bit + patient - think after tonight's performance in a "desperate" situation - assume there will be changes shortly. PK at 65% is an insult.

Read somewhere the worst rate after 25 games in NHL history.

If the players gave it their fullest and still come up with this result, it's the system that sucks - not the players. Watching their pk is sad - static box - allowing opposition countless unchallenged opportunities - Demko shot after shot like shooting practice,  Why can't they look at other teams successful PK and use similar systems or are they trying to think out of the box again and do things differently.

I think for the next practice session, they should let our top PP take on the current PK (just try it) during scrimmage - I would guess the PP would take over which shows just how bad our PK is.  The PK is the single biggest factor for the failure this season - possibly resulting over 1/2+ of the losses (eg. Boston, Edm, Nash, Colo, + many more) this season.

• Like 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

If you're going to throw a jersey, throw a blank one.  Cheaper as well.

Perhaps, but according to coach green, maybe there's more to this story than meets the eye.  "For all we know that guy could have been going thru a divorce in the stands with his wife and was simply trying to keep his wife from getting the car, kids AND THE JERSEY!"  Coach green thinks this has nothing to do with the him or the team!

1 hour ago, sassypantsonfire said:

Okay, I get everyone saying fire Benning and Greene, but when do the players have to be responsible for their own *&^* actions? Seriously 20 PP goals they've let in. When you know your PK sucks, stay out of the darn box. Those penalties tonight were disgusting. Just undisciplined and lazy and totally uncalled for. These are penalties they know not to take. 3 penalties in 2 minutes but yeah let's fire Benning.  The boys can't hit the broad side of a barn. Petterson has taken 61 shots towards the net this yet and hit the net 6 times. Hoaglander 59 shots only hit the net 8 times. Horvat 64 shots this year and only hit the net 10 times. Now I know a lot of these shots get blocked but my gosh these are bad stats and they need to hit the damn net and shoot! You can't win a game if you only take 15 shots on net. All I'm saying is this isn't Benning and Greene's fault, the players are lazy and responsible for their own game play and taking bad penalties. Boeser, Horvat, Petey, Hughes, Miller, these guys can score we know they can, but they aren't even hitting the net now. That's just sad. 

Pk are part of the game. If you don't have the personnel to kill a pp, then that's on benning

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

And who’s in charge of the PK? Isn’t it Baumgartner? I’m willing to be that he doesn’t find another NHL gig on an NHL bench. 

I cannot believe ownership is wondering if a change has to be made. What are they &^@#ing waiting for. 

I know that management has been neutered. They haven’t spoken, showed their face, haven’t made a move. Owner doesn’t want Benning to speak, because the last time he spoke, it was so uninspiring. I don’t hate Benning as the person, but man, as a GM, his body of work over the last 8 years, has not been good. I would not be surprised if he never works or gets another GM job in the NHL . 

Should never have elevated him beyond scouting.

Benning doesn’t seem to have a noggin’ for the big picture. His  tenure of salary-cap management has been abysmal &  he gutted the team after its’ first successful run together, until it became only a shadow of its’ former self, with none of the synergy or cohesiveness.

We are already starting over. Let  someone else rebuild, someone who knows that communication & on-going player maintenance is key! Help these players adjust to their on-ice roles & roles within the community to establish some roots & more mutual respect & connection. Do some real character-vetting before drafting & trading. Value intelligence & coachability just a little bit more.

Winning pedigrees & those connections were previously found, but weren’t kept together long enough. 

Toffoli not being contacted, bugs me still. 

Edited by viking mama
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1