The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Jim Benning, name Stan Smyl as interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

11 hours ago, Provost said:

Couldn’t be a better way to end the weekend.

Look forward to actually hearing a vision articulated for the team going forward when we pick new management.

I give the new management and coach 2 weeks before the same people are clamoring for new new management, yelling at the coach for loving plugs, and then deciding we need new owners, maybe a new arena, training staff, and whatever else they can come up with.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Wasn't Talon let go because of screwing up qualifying his RFAs?  

It was a coup de ta ... soon as Scotty Bowman was hired as sr advisor the wheels were in motion to push Tallon and have Wirtz Jr. Promote Bowman Jr. To GM.

Sending RFA Q.O.s was Asst. GM responsibility but buck stops with GM. 

Tallon was on his way out regardless of that mess up.

• Thanks 1

Dale Tallon was garbage and it's not a coincidence that Florida began to take off as soon as they replaced him.

In a league where bad teams are rewarded with high picks, of course a GM who has spent 8 years here is going to have fingerprints on the next core.

Edited by Josepho

Wow, looks like I can come back to being a full time fan again after like 3 years. Both Benning and Green gone, yeesh. Not particularly hopeful for anything done properly given Aquilini is still at the top but at least Boudreau coached team will be fun to watch.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Wow, looks like I can come back to being a full time fan again after like 3 years. Both Benning and Green gone, yeesh. Not particularly hopeful for anything done properly given Aquilini is still at the top but at least Boudreau coached team will be fun to watch.

That’s all I hope for. The stars to get their confidence back and a well executed defensive structure. I don’t anticipate a miracle run to the playoffs or anything. 

Just now, spook007 said:

That was kinda, what I was saying. For all the negativity about Benning being the worst GM ever, he does leavevthe club in a far better state than Gilles did. 
whoever comes in, will have an abundance of young players to work with or to usr as trade chips... 

Yup.  This is often how teams win.  One GM builds a great young core, and the next guy reaps the benefits.  

• Cheers 1

Benning is one GM that I will not miss.

I hope Demko is ready to back stop an offensive team. Boudreau will cut these guys lose. It will be interesting to see if he can get Boeser and Petey going.

I think Boudreau was the right choice for right now. I will give the Aqua-men a thumbs up.

7 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Do you think, Smyl is any different or worse than JB ?

I've never heard Smyl mentioned as a possible GM.  Having said that, I'm sure he can keep a chair warm as well as the next guy.

I think it's going to be a collaborative effort and there should be a hire before the draft

6 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I would much rather listen to Smyl then Jim.   You must have loved Jim's interviews.

Love is too strong a word. I was a fan of Jim for years, thought he did some real good stuff. But he messed up too.

I'm excited for the coaching change. Still think they need a POHO and an experienced GM. Smyl is fine for now, guy has his jersey number hanging from the rafters, so...  That should calm the fanbase for now.

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 1

I was a big supporter of Benning and I liked most of his moves. I would’ve liked to see him through with another coach. 

I have no confidence in Smyl making the moves we need. We will see where all of this goes.

Hopefully they bring in a very experienced guy to compete with the Oilers’ GM Holland. He’s a superstar GM.

• Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

Might feel like the Crawford coached Canucks. Run and Gun and hope for the best defensively. 

Demko's a lil better than Cloutier though. 

Wonder if they have the defence to play that type of system. Might get a Rathbone callup sooner than later.