The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Jim Benning, name Stan Smyl as interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Stats like this are unfair.

The guy inherited a team with absolutely ZERO prospects or promising young players besides Bo.

It takes time to rebuild from the ground up.

All the basic contracts he was held hostage with,  he inherited a dumpster fire.

Gillis mortgaged the future for those 2009-2012 teams and Benning inherited that mortgaged future.

Shhhhh people don't want to hear that.. ;)

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

The guy inherited a team with absolutely ZERO prospects or promising young players besides Bo.

All the basic contracts he was held hostage with,  he inherited a dumpster fire.

Gillis mortgaged the future for those 2009-2012 teams and Benning inherited that mortgaged future.

What two players composed Benning's top D pair for like 80% of his tenure here?

I'll wait.

3 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

and a dumpster fire is way tamer than I'd have put it..   that's being generous!! lmao!  Sadly this isn't going to change until the win it all NOW and screw the future way of thinking is gone but that's never going to happen..  

13 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

How many players with long term contracts were on that team that couldn't be traded? That team after getting beat up and broken by the Bruins was a shi_t show... broken and no depth at all..   one of the mistakes JB originally made was taking the job in the first place under those circumstances. plus most of the Vancouver fan base are pathetic and the laughing stock of the entire NHL, then the riot proved it even further... 

I am not.

People love me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

we were doomed long before JB showed up.. why do you think we don't have a cup or have one before JB showed up? doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out, sell the farm and have 2 one trick ponies for 2 tries of win it all now, Gillis was the last one who tried that..  JB was the only one who didn't try that but I guess we're back to that again. At this rate of "win it all now and screw the future" will assure Lord Stanley never comes for a visit. fun stuff.. 

Did you just call Pat Quinn a one trick pony?

1 hour ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Same ownership that people complain is too " meddling " has brought a hoard of division titles, multiple Presidents Trophies, Conference Championship and nearly a Stanley Cup. Who was complaining during those days  ? same owners.

Doesn't mean shizza if you continue to make bad organizational decisions now.  Too many people live in past.  What you said is exactly what's wrong with this ownership, living in the past.

18 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Didn't Brian Burke say something like "I don't even know what he does [John Weisbrod]'"?  Or am I confusing Burke with someone else?

You are correct. Weisbrod was in the Calgary front office when Burke was hired there. He remarked that in Calgary, he didn't even know what Weisbrod did.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

But that's not what JB said.  He said they were not far off and can turn it around quickly. 

A few of us, maybe most of us, wanted a true rebuild.  And not a retool.

So who's fault is it that for 8yrs that the team kept trying to make the playoffs but successfully stealth tanked?

I read somewhere that in the 8yrs, JB did not acquire additional 1sts or 2nds.  So that doesn't spell rebuild to me.

Sure. JB got a $&!#ty hand when he signed up with the Canucks.  But he chose the path to retooling instead of rebuilding. 

1 hour ago, Nuckin Kingsly said:

What player in their right mind would say they would love to be a part of a rebuild. People want to win. That will never change

I agree that we want players who want to win. The point that I was trying to make was that players need to understand that takes time and stability. Organizations don't completely rebuild in a few years.  Plus there is usually a set back or two along the way. 

Bo said the right thing when he said that there is a good young group here to continue with. He is right and no one should suggest a complete rebuild but this team needs quit a few hole filled yet. 

What I am saying is that Bo and TJ have a choice to make and so do the Canucks. No one wants to lose these two guys but there is a limited amount of cap space. If these guys want to win here then resign for around what they are making now. They are both young enough to be resigned for 5 more years. 

If they do not want to talk about extensions or want big raises then management MUST turn them into assets. They owe it to the rest of the youth on this club. 

You cannot let these two walk at the end of next year. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

At least Gillis brought the team to one game from winning the Cup. That was a pretty good payoff versus JB who couldn’t get us passed the 1st round or even make the playoffs most seasons 

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

He may or may not build a team that can go to the finals, but if we have to go through all this pain again afterwards, would it be worth it?

Gillis is older and wiser now. 
Benning got a loong leech so why not let Gillis have a go. 

19 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

What?  Are you literally out-of-touch with reality?

Chris Tanev? Alex Edler? Jacob Markstrom? Bo Horvat? Ryan Kesler? Chris Higgins? Jason Garrison? Kevin Bieksa? Alex Burrows? Jannik Hansen? Eddie Lack?

Stop with this "Gillis left JB with nothing" non-sense.

Gillis left with him with several veterans to trade - Jim just didn't get any value for them... and when he did, he fumbled the bag (Dahlen for Hansen and then trades Dahlen for a nobody prospect). 

There was so much value to extract from that roster but Jim completely botched multiple transactions.

• Thanks 2