The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Jim Rutherford as president & interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I was just thinking how lame it is I keep hearing complaints about his age and how the team needs a new young GM. Well just yesterday that was the complaint.

I don't see how JR in the President role is anything negative. He can influence, mentor up and coming executives within the Canucks and a new GM for sure.

I too am not a fan of just recycling the same pool of people but think in Vancouver's case this is a win.

Yeah, like I said in my post, I have nothing against Rutherford per se. Just wish there was some diversity which would bring some fresh thoughts/ideas/ways of handling things/brining in talent. 

• Upvote 1

I was just thinking how lame it is I keep hearing complaints about his age and how the team needs a new young GM. Well just yesterday that was the complaint.

I don't see how JR in the President role is anything negative. He can influence, mentor up and coming executives within the Canucks and a new GM for sure.

I too am not a fan of just recycling the same pool of people but think in Vancouver's case this is a win.

Having an experienced POH was the first thing i hoped to see happen.   That said what's done is done, Bruce is a breath of fresh air, and aside from maybe Lou in NYI, cant think of a more experienced hockey guy, and a three time winner, from two teams nonetheless  and that CAR team wasn't loaded with high end talent either, had quite the mixed bag really....don't see any point in complaining at all.    Was also interested in Shero.    But this is whom we have.   Let's just hope that he can find a GM that is a good fit, and that we have good energy and synergy within the group fast.     

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Well he's not as connected nor does he carry the common sense others do. A for effort but JR has already been quoted as saying the exact opposite as to Kypreos suggestion and that of the poster you quoted.

Yeah and in hockey , these guys lie like politicians. Remember a week ago , reports surfaced that "the Canucks were NOT interested in Jimmy Rutherford" ? Well Aqualini was most likely sitting in Rutherfords home when those reports came out. I made the mistake of believing them. It was the exact opposite of the truth.

I'll bet anyone $50 via Interac Email transfer that our 1st round pick will be gone in 6 months.  Maybe if i reverse jinx this enough , it won't happen.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, 13231 said:

All the trade discussion here sounds baseless and premature right now. What the quotes from the organization and common sense suggests is that the team will be evaluated carefully now, as to where it clearly stands under the new coaching staff. Everything will be determined from that point forward. Up until the Olympic break would be the timeline I assume. 

I disagree. We all heard days ago that we were going to do an exhaustive search for a hockey exec and Rutherford was not in the running. 

Turns out Aquaman was sitting in JR's home at the time getting a 3 year deal done.

Rutherford will try and win the cup next year. So he has the rest of this year to spend futures. 

4 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Sutter should have never been resigned.  He can barely skate and gets blown by every other player, fumbles the puck, always dumps the puck in the ozone then skates off on a line change becasue he's afraid to get "engaged and is uncoordinated.   For some unexplainable reason "some people" have this godly image of him as being the second coming of christ - while in reality he's an over the hill - relic of our failed past under the benning/green "years of darkness".   

Give the man a chance under a new coach. Loui was mishandled among a lot of players.

Realise that Sutter also could have been mishandled.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Yeah and in hockey , these guys lie like politicians. Remember a week ago , reports surfaced that "the Canucks were NOT interested in Jimmy Rutherford" ? Well Aqualini was most likely sitting in Rutherfords home when those reports came out. I made the mistake of believing them. It was the exact opposite of the truth.

I'll bet anyone $50 via Interac Email transfer that our 1st round pick will be gone in 6 months.  Maybe if i reverse jinx this enough , it won't happen.

What do reports that turned out to be wrong have to do with whether Rutherford is telling the truth?

At this point you're just calling him a liar because you can't stand the fact that he just disproved your entire reason for throwing a hissy fit over him with one sentence. 

A normal person's reaction would be "Whew, that's good. I'm relieved that Rutherford said he isn't going to sell off our future. I feel a little better now. Sorry for this ridiculous meltdown, everybody. "

4 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

The way the roster, played these two games, showed how badly they had turned Green out; and the re-signing, of Green is JB'S greatest failure as Canuck GM - imo.

Would be nice, to know what the justification were for his extension.

Just jumping in. I seem to remember Horvat publicly endorsing Green last spring before his contract extension. Whether he felt pressured to do so because he knew Green was going to stick around I don't know. But when the captain is standing up for the coach the GM is going to listen.

2 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

While I'm against the first being dealt, if it's for a legit, young stud dman, why not?

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 1

Going to be interesting to see who the GM will be. I fully expect one to be hired soon as he will need time to evaluate the roster and work with Rutherford to determine what the plan is, go for it, slow it down or blow it up. 

Exciting times right now. 

3 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Vegas... no way without Demko not standing on his head though... 

Agreed iceman.

But also contributing to our bubble success perhaps was Manny's influential coaching.

He had the younger players trust.  

Green took the credit; got himself an extension.

Manny suddenly wanted out within a month of Vegas game 7.

Relocating nearer to his Toronto roots was the reason given, but that's so odd given that his wife's family (and kids) are from the island.

No coincidence that we have played garbage hockey from the day Manny left.

Until this week.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, PLOGUE said:

Going to be interesting to see who the GM will be. I fully expect one to be hired soon as he will need time to evaluate the roster and work with Rutherford to determine what the plan is, go for it, slow it down or blow it up. 

Exciting times right now. 

I think BB will be given a chance to show what this team has befofe a GM comes in guns blazing making trades. Who knows, if BB has the guys firing on all cylinders and we're projecting playoffs, maybe the only move to make is a d man heading into trade deadline. 

7 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Kinda tired of these statements. Maybe it is because he is good at his job and is highly respected throughout the hockey world.

Imagine the uproar if he said tired of told black people.  I guess the new values in the world don't apply to white men anymore.

But hey what could go wrong with that way of thinking? Not like groups all over Europe are creating a movement to protect from the new way of shaming white people because they are white people.

What's that saying? Those who who ignore history are bound to repeat it?

The real irony is hockey is 95% white, not a lot of POC available or with a better resumes. 

Not hiring someone because of the color of their skin but instead on merit should still apply to white people, do people not even realize the hypocrisy of not hiring someone because they are white?

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, like I said in my post, I have nothing against Rutherford per se. Just wish there was some diversity which would bring some fresh thoughts/ideas/ways of handling things/brining in talent. 

So why did you single out the fact he was white? That way of thinking is no better than saying the same thing about hiring a POC.

Funny how you could say 1 and get a like and the other would get you banned.