The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: Canucks fire assistant GM Chris Gear and analytics director Jonathan Wall

Rate this topic

Dazzle

2 hours ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Lol jagr Kovalchuk and Datsyuk had successful nhl careers. No hate for them going back home.

Tram had all the opportunities given to him and he tossed them aside

Jagr and Kovalchuk left in the middle of NHL contracts. Just as you might if you could play for the Vancouver Canucks instead of say...Traktor Chelyabinsk. 

1 hour ago, mll said:

Botterill left for a better opportunity.  Karmanos left because he was fired.  Why would he want to be 2nd to Rutherford when he fired him.  Not sure either that Buffalo would be willing to let him go.  

Wasn't Botterill fired as well?

36 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I am not a fan of Botterill, just replying to someone asking if he was any decent. The Sabres in the O'Reilly deal got the young player they wanted in Thompson who is playing top six minutes now and starting to produce at 24yrs old. They used that first to snag Ryan Johnson who may still prove to be a nice offensive defenseman for them. I wouldn't say it was the worst trade in Sabres history, the team was satisfied with their return at the time, the veterans kind of faded out right away but personal reasons on Berglund came into play.

Skinner yes a inflated contract now, but the luxury of hindsight is a beautiful thing. He was not quite 27 years old and potted 40 goals in his first season in Buffalo, you can imagine the club would have thought they found their goal scorer alongside their franchise player and locked him up. Too much term and money sure, was going into UFA though. Deal doesn't look good now I agree, but context you can understand the move.

I still would not be overly thrilled if Botterill joined the Canucks, now if Lombardi jumped from Philly to join the Canucks that would be a pinchable moment.

Don’t understand why they didn’t offer Skinner a bridge deal; a “show me if this isn’t a one time thing” kind of deal. It’s odd to me that they would just give him a long term contract after one 40 goal season. 

1 hour ago, Canuck Luck said:

This team has sucked for years. Every front office employee needs to be fired, like Gear, to bring in a new team and hopefully a successful team.

Ok. Let's see how this experiment works. The guys who gave all of our players these slight home discount deals are gone.  

We will see what Brock or whoevers next contract looks like. If it's a bloated deal we'll know why. But hey , our cap guy was appointed by a guy with a cup..so that makes it ok

Edited by MaxVerstappen33
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Wasn't Botterill fired as well?

Can’t remember off the top of my head, but it wouldn’t surprise me if that was the case. 

Regardless, I don’t like Jason Botterill as GM for the Canucks. What was his best trade? If I had to choose between Botterill and Benning - might go with Benning, only because he’s drafted us the core for this team moving forward. What’s Botterill done? What’s his legacy with Buffalo?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Ok. Let's see how this experiment works. The guys who gave all of our players these slight home discount deals are gone.  

We will see what Brock or whoevers next contract looks like. If it's a bloated deal we'll know why. 

Then the chants of “Fire Rutherford” will start in Rogers Arena. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Don’t understand why they didn’t offer Skinner a bridge deal; a “show me if this isn’t a one time thing” kind of deal. It’s odd to me that they would just give him a long term contract after one 40 goal season. 

going into Free Agency as a steady offensive type player over the course of his career. He seemingly bloomed in that first season in Buffalo and seemed like a great fit. Risk/reward right, they went all in on him and nobody could blame them, very easily could have had productive years if the dramatics in Buffalo didn't overtake the team.

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Can’t remember off the top of my head, but it wouldn’t surprise me if that was the case. 

Regardless, I don’t like Jason Botterill as GM for the Canucks. What was his best trade? If I had to choose between Botterill and Benning - might go with Benning, only because he’s drafted us the core for this team moving forward. What’s Botterill done? What’s his legacy with Buffalo?

Dahlin, Cozens, Mittlestadt, Luukkonen as his drafted players is probably the highlight for that club.

22 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Then the chants of “Fire Rutherford” will start in Rogers Arena. 

It's just a 3 year deal. I think the Aqualini's are just going for broke. They will try and go for a cup in the next 3 years by bringing in the most agressive guy they could find. And then if it doesn't work out , they'll just sell the team.

1 hour ago, Canuck Luck said:

This team has sucked for years. Every front office employee needs to be fired, like Gear, to bring in a new team and hopefully a successful team.

Didn't Dave Nonis start his career as water boy?

that seems to be a story the Canucks org like to repeat

Wall started as Video (cassette) reviewer

I have no love or hate for Gear and Wall

but Gear did seem to be the beneficiary of the Brackett fall out

So in  my mind he would be in Camp Benning

Wall, after 20 years in the same org can't really be bringing fresh ideas

If you have never travelled the world, you can't have much of an opinion about other cultures

If you have never worked in another Org...

The front office has has lifer Stan Smyl, does anyone know what he does when he is not interim GM?

Like for the last 30 years?

Then they brought in Linden and now the Sedins.

Does anyone know what advisors do?

Looking  at the current hockey ops

we see Jim R - we know he has been with several orgs...Prez + interim GM

then Ryan Johnson _ not entirely sure where he has been the last 10 years but several have been with the Canucks...Assistant Interim GM (That's a handle!)

Stan Smyl - has only worked for the Canucks... Senior Advisor to the GM + Player Development

Hank + Dank - have not worked in pro hockey since retiring.... Special Advisors to the GM

Doug Jarvis - has been around a bit...Special Advisor

So look at that bottom 4.

Smyl is Senior Advisor to a non-existent GM

Was Smyl in charge of Development before the shake up? 

cuz development was not good

the Sedins are "Special" Advisors to a non-existent GM

Jarvis is a "Special "Advisor to who ever will listen, I guess

Edited by lmm
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Ever since the Nonis days , we've never been a franchise that handed out contracts to franchise players that get the reaction of wow , that's a lot. They were all borderline discounts. 

Will this continue after these guys got fired ? Well see. 

You're acting as if we hired Dubas.   Boeser's contract was pretty bad due to the high QO.  Gear's the genius who thought that wasn't a problem, and it will likely cause issues in the offseason.

1 hour ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Jagr and Kovalchuk left in the middle of NHL contracts. Just as you might if you could play for the Vancouver Canucks instead of say...Traktor Chelyabinsk. 

The one last thing I'll mention is that these guys gave it their best effort to be key pieces for prolonged periods at at the upper echelon. They gave it their best shot in the NHL. Can you honestly say that about Tryamkin? Did he leave it all on the ice? I have no problem with someone doing the best they can and simply falling short, but to not even try is to fail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

do you really need help with this one?

what do bakers do?

so, 3 guys who have never worked in the front office before are advising our non-existent GM

Are there Special Advisors to the Bakers?

"Hey, New Jim, I have some advise for you because you are new here, lets only draft small skill guys who play between the whistles"

"Thanks Hank, maybe I'll ask your brother what he thinks"

So, yes,

I would like a real answer to that question.

see if you can stretch it out to a whole paragraph

maybe an actual job description

While your at it, maybe throw in a job description for the Special Advisor to the Baker

I might be looking at changing careers

Edited by lmm
  • Wat 1

2 minutes ago, lmm said:

so, 3 guys who have never worked in the front office before are advising our non-existent GM

Are there Special Advisors to the Bakers?

"Hey, New Jim, I have some advise for you because you are new here, lets only draft small skill guys who play between the whistles"

"Thanks Hank, maybe I'll ask your brother what he thinks"

So, yes,

I would like a real answer to that question.

see if you can stretch it out to a whole paragraph

maybe an actual job description

I'll give it a go....

1. Smyl and Jarvis have worked in our front office for years?

2. Advisors to bakers are called an apprentice, that's how they learn. So do the bakers by listening to new ideas.

3. The Sedins have been involved in this league for years. Good management listens to practical experience.

4. I have met and worked with many advisors over the years who were not necessarily managers but knew the ins and outs of my huisiness.

To sum it up, they ADVISE based on experience. Management is successful when they listen,  doesn't mean follow everything advised tho.

• Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

All the usual suspects: different market, different management, the level of desperation, etc. etc

regards,  G.

4 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Did you mean Marino?

image.png.b51589123b1de5bb591a2a908e18646c.png

:lol: Actually decent stats. I've had mixed opinions of him in the limited number of viewings. Too bad he's pretty light at 180, but he's a good skater with some offensive flair.

no but thats not a bad idea