The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: Canucks fire assistant GM Chris Gear and analytics director Jonathan Wall

Rate this topic

Dazzle

8 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Ya and Botterill is in Seattle.

Either one of those very well could be our next GM. Both are close to JR. 

I’d be good with Karmanos.

He checks all the boxes. Former player, three time cup champion, lots of experience in analytics and scouting.

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Friedman says they had a fallout but wasn't sure where things are at now.   

depends on the personalities, I'd take Shannon's word over many others tho, he doesn't tend to throw out guesses like some others. 

15 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Integrity. If your faking vaccinations and so on. It says a lot about ones character. He’s been on three separate teams now with issues coming out from each one so no thanks. We don’t need the drama right now.

Like I said he paid his dues for it. 

No need to make it into to a bigger issue than it is. He had a 21 game suspension..

Players do a lot worse..some of the best players in the NHL have done worse. You pay your dues for your &^@#up and move on. 

Do people speed in their car? They get a fine and move on. Not lose their license for rest if their life and get fired from their job because they could have killed someone because they were speeding. 

Ppl make mistakes serve their punishment and move on.. that's life.. 

• Huggy Bear 1

22 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Like what.. 

He faked a covid Vax.  NFL star player did same thing he got 4 games.  

Plays with Brady. No one making it into a bigger issue than it is..the guy did 21 games .. he paid his dues. 

Heck of a player. Brings everything canucks desperately need. 

His wife made some false accusations against him. She's getting mental health help and he got custody of 16 minth old baby. 

No issues. Bring him in..

Several of his teammates don't want him back.  Doesn't respect the team rules, shows up late at practice etc.  That's no way to build a team that will battle for each other.  

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Several of his teammates don't want him back.  Doesn't respect the team rules, shows up late at practice etc.  That's no way to build a team that will battle for each other.  

Lots of players do things like that..

U need some bad boys on the team. Some attitude would be good..

We have too many undersized pretty boys.  They're more worried about their hairstyles or breaking a nail rather than breaking the opposition players will with a hard hit or cpl punches to the face..

This is a hockey team. Not a church choir... 

• Huggy Bear 1

29 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Has nothing to do with drive. He's put in the hard work all his life to be able to play professional hockey and even make the NHL..

It's just a different league. One in his home country vs one across the world..

He chooses to stay in his home country.  

NHL doesn't equal drive..  he has drive that's why he got so good in the first place. 

He wants to be close to his family and friends.. instead of living in a country that is hostile to his country..

Kovalchuk left 10 million per year on the table and went back to Russia to play in his own country.. he was one of the best players in the world at the time. 

Jagr did the same thing..one of the best to ever play the game. He didn't lack drive. 

these guys consider KHL to be very near NHL level. Some may even consider them equal. 

He plays hockey for a living. It's his profession. He makes more money playing at home. I would do the same thing. He made the better decision for himself and his familie's life and all the while making more money.  

All positives nothing negative about that decision..⁰

One of these things is not like the others. The rest of those guys HAD THE DRIVE to have very successful careers in the best league in the world. He did not. 

Again, I'm not faulting him for it, it's his prerogative and I'll never think ill of anyone choosing to spend more time/be closer to family. But it does in fact show a lack of drive to be all he can be in his proffession.

24 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Ya and Botterill is in Seattle.

Either one of those very well could be our next GM. Both are close to JR. 

Ron Francis is an established GM above Botterill.  That's not the structure in Buffalo where Kevyn Adams has very little experience.  Adams is in place because the Pegulas trust him but Karmanos is associate GM not assistant GM as well as GM of Rochester.  Karmanos even brought in Sam Ventura from Pittsburgh.  

9 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

We have too many undersized pretty boys.  They're more worried about their hairstyles or breaking a nail rather than breaking the opposition players will with a hard hit or cpl punches to the face..

Have you seen Garland’s face? 

People keep saying we have undersized players, but two of our “undersized” players are leading the team in points in Garland (20) and Hughes (22). 

I’m curious, but which players are you referring to? Petey? I mean, the guy, this season not withstanding, has put up some decent numbers. Same with Brock and Bo. 

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Hockey team.

Guerin was shocked by the culture in Minnesota when he took over.  He felt they lacked the togetherness that winning teams have and set on to change their culture.  Rutherford likely has the same concept that to win it's about being more than just a bunch of individuals playing hockey together.  They have to come together and be like a family that is going to battle and sacrifice for each other.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

He's a very dicey proposition but I agree he's a heck of a player who ticks a lot of boxes. Maybe this team needs some bad ass attitude. We can certainly be faster, more aggressive and tougher. He does all that and scores. It really matters where his head is at though. If he's the same guy who is flashing stacks of cash and having his clothes thrown in the shower by the entire team than the trade off is not worth it. The problem is how does one determine that. I'm sure he'd say anything to get back in the NHL.

If he can replace Boeser (trade for a RD) at $3 mil we could really upgrade the team. Pretty risky for a new GM.

11 minutes ago, mll said:

Ron Francis is an established GM above Botterill.  That's not the structure in Buffalo where Kevyn Adams has very little experience.  Adams is in place because the Pegulas trust him but Karmanos is associate GM not assistant GM as well as GM of Rochester.  Karmanos even brought in Sam Ventura from Pittsburgh.  

Is Botterill any good of a GM? I’m kind of worried about who our next GM is going to be….

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

One of these things is not like the others. The rest of those guys HAD THE DRIVE to have very successful careers in the best league in the world. He did not. 

Again, I'm not faulting him for it, it's his prerogative and I'll never think ill of anyone choosing to spend more time/be closer to family. But it does in fact show a lack of drive to be all he can be in his proffession.

Why is it different..

Kovalchuk came here played and in his prime went back to Russia.

Jagr came here played and still playing at a very high level went to his home for 3 yrs 

Tryamkin came here played parts of 2 seasons.. his wife moved here with him.

They got better money to move back to Russia to play the same game. They moved.. 

People forget that this is a business.. fans get way too attached to minor issues surrounding contracts or teams or players switching teams.. over and over you hear it from the players that this is a business.  It's their job.

You get more money doing the same job living in your own country rather than half way across the planet different language different culture and not to mention its an enemy country with people hostile to Russia. 

Easy choice. 

This is a business. Not a romantic story about a little boy giving everything in his life just to play in the NHL.

Players say it over and over that this is a business..

A couple of years ago there was talk about Chinese basketball team offering 50 million per year to NBA star players to play in China. 

A reporter asked LeBron James if he would go to China for 50 million.. 

James answered immediately saying where do I sign.

LeBron is willing to go to China for more money. Tram stayed in his own country  for more money....

It's a business. Nothing to do with drive.. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1