The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Carolina Hurricanes at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 12, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Attila Umbrus said:

Blind to his own ego. He’ll go back to AHL and work on things I’m sure. Get another chance in 5 or so years if he proves it. 

I just don’t get his arrogance.

It was his undoing. I don't get his arrogance either. It's not like his career in the AHL was illustrious either. 

4 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Blind to his own ego. He’ll go back to AHL and work on things I’m sure. Get another chance in 5 or so years if he proves it. 

I just don’t get his arrogance.

I dont think its arrogance.

I think its his inadequacy masked with arrogance because he wasnt sure what to do.

11 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Pearson was given a NTC and no one wanted Hamonic off of waivers earlier on because of the uncertainty around him being able to play. Can’t see either being traded anytime soon even for cap relief. 

Take a look at our cap 2 years out. Benning kicked the cap hell can down the road. There won’t be cap to keep everyone or improve the team. 

Pearson has an m-NTC (7 teams) next year and nothing the year after. Hamonic is off the books in 2 years. Lets not over dramatize everything. Remember as well JR has no allegiance to JB or his signings. I could easily see us cutting bait with Hamonic one way or another ... same with Pearson, if they're unwanted. Besides the Boeser QO being a little high the current contracts and challenges are not obscene or unique to the Canucks and are certainly nothing to fret about. One should accept that NHL teams who have consistently high draft picks will likely lose a couple of those players eventually due to the cap rules.

• Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

Pearson has a 7 team M-NTC 2022-2023 so I can see him getting traded for sure. 

Boeser seems to be the logical one to trade compared Millsy and Bo depending on how we're playing and what our playoff hopes look like. I like Brock, but Miller and Bo bring more intangibles to the team at center, and championship teams always have a solid core of top 3 centers.

I don't mind Hamonic at 3M if he can stay healthy once he returns from this injury. He's a great pairing D man with Quinn and brings some badly needed toughness to our team.

In the end I like the fact that Rutherford will not hesitate to make a move once he's evaluated the team by the end of January.

Whatever it takes to build this group to a contendaaaa!

Yup

First time in a long time where front office and coaching has a great resume and we can just trust that they know more than us.

I am really pulling for Brock. He is a home grown talent and is younger than Millsy

Boeser needs to continue scoring while shoring up his 2 way play

I think Miller plays physical but has as many or even more defensive gaffes than Boeser. Many times, he's late on the back check.

That being said I like both guys and will leave it up to managemet

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mll said:

In Minnesota after his hire in the summer he was asked about the PP with some players reluctant to get off at times under Yeo.  He made it clear he wanted 2 equal units and called it selfish to stay on the ice for more than one minute on a powerplay. 

Yes

Out with the country club and in with hustle and working your butts off.

24 minutes ago, mll said:

In Minnesota after his hire in the summer he was asked about the PP with some players reluctant to get off at times under Yeo.  He made it clear he wanted 2 equal units and called it selfish to stay on the ice for more than one minute on a powerplay. 

He seems to want short shifts in all situations, which is a huge improvement over seeing guys out there for over 2 minutes.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yeaaah, this next contract will likely be his last. He's probably gonna go for broke, and if he gives anyone a discount it'll like be a playoff/cup contender. I also suspect he won't be signing in Canada, but that's just me. 

Hamonic's maybe a 4 right now, but we won't get a 4 for 3M going forward, it's gonna cost more. This lineup is going to require some surgery to have a semblance of balance and to resemble whatever it is Rutherford's vision is. It's gonna be interesting to track. 

Yeah I don't think Miller has anything against Canada but I'm not sure I see him spending 10 years and the majority of his career here. I would assume he'd maybe want to play closer to home and retire as more of a known commodity and star in his homeland.

It's definitely going to be interesting especially defence wise. There is no way JR comes in and allows us to keep running that d the way it is. Maybe we're locked in this year but no way it stays that way.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I don't think Miller has anything against Canada but I'm not sure I see him spending 10 years and the majority of his career here. I would assume he'd maybe want to play closer to home and retire as more of a known commodity and star in his homeland.

It's definitely going to be interesting especially defence wise. There is no way JR comes in and allows us to keep running that d the way it is. Maybe we're locked in this year but no way it stays that way.

I don't think Miller's got anything against Canada, I just don't see him staying here. I mean, even many Canadian players don't seem keen on playing in Canadian markets or having to engage with rabid fanbases up here. I figure he'd prefer to play for a team that's more competitive in the near future too, and I think we're still a ways off from being anything resembling a cup contender. 

It's gonna be tricky, because given the nature of a mostly dead cap and our being capped out we're going to have to shed money in deals or move players out while bringing money back. It really limits what management's able to do in the way of trades and signings. But yeah, I don't see our D being left as is. 

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Pearson has an m-NTC (7 teams) next year and nothing the year after. Hamonic is off the books in 2 years. Lets not over dramatize everything. Remember as well JR has no allegiance to JB or his signings. I could easily see us cutting bait with Hamonic one way or another ... same with Pearson, if they're unwanted. Besides the Boeser QO being a little high the current contracts and challenges are not obscene or unique to the Canucks and are certainly nothing to fret about. One should accept that NHL teams who have consistently high draft picks will likely lose a couple of those players eventually due to the cap rules.

Losing them because you have too many is different than losing them because you have bloated contracts for inferior players though. Something we have unfortunately seen in Van for most of Benning’s tenure.

16 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Lol. Surgery got canceled this morning.. maybe tomorrow now..Laying on sofa double dosed on morphine pills.

High has &^@# watched nfl and canucks all day..

Feeling pretty good I think.

$&!# show WHL... hope you seen to soonest :)

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I don't think Miller's got anything against Canada, I just don't see him staying here. I mean, even many Canadian players don't seem keen on playing in Canadian markets or having to engage with rabid fanbases up here. I figure he'd prefer to play for a team that's more competitive in the near future too, and I think we're still a ways off from being anything resembling a cup contender. 

It's gonna be tricky, because given the nature of a mostly dead cap and our being capped out we're going to have to shed money in deals or move players out while bringing money back. It really limits what management's able to do in the way of trades and signings. But yeah, I don't see our D being left as is. 

I don't see any chance that Miller stays past this contract.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

TP is one of the best value players they have.  You have to have cost controlled depth, like TP, to win.  If you move him, you just have to replace him anyway, which won't be as easy as you might think

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't see any chance that Miller stays past this contract.

Me either, and that plays into him being my top choice to move out for assets. I'd rather keep Boeser as he's younger, he fits the future better, and there's still upside going forward. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He seems to want short shifts in all situations, which is a huge improvement over seeing guys out there for over 2 minutes.

Just goes to show how badly TG lost the room. It was literally a free for all with no accountability until suddenly his job was on the line and he benched Petterson to somehow bring back accountability after not demonstrating it for years.