The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Carolina Hurricanes at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 12, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

35 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Look around the league and see what teams are at cap or very very near.

the competitive teams have very little cap room.

Maybe the dollars werent spent as wisely as everyone wants, but again, review the league team by team and I think you’ll see a ton of examples worse than JB’s gaffes. Again, could’ve been more of an example of the right player but wrong coaching here

The fake fan I’m always going on about well another one of his many accounts basically wasting peoples time.

Edited by CanuckleHorse

33 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I’m not Benning bro, but the team that has been winning the last few is the same team that JB curated - minus OEL and Hammy.  Just don’t forget that part because it’s really important to differentiate between coach and GM.

also, we’ve had great luck in drafting and that has been one dept JB has performed well in, imho. I hope that trend can continue under the new regime 

I am a Benning bro but his unwillingness to fire Green is why I'm utlimately ok with him leaving.

Yes he's crappy with contracts but only some. Demko contract was solid. So was Horvat. So is Hughes. In hindsight, short term for Elias was a good call.

The ones that were bad were for role players like Roussel, Beagle, Sutter (previous contract), maybe even Pearson. He got rid of LE, Beagle and Roussel in one shot and got Garland and OEL

That's a pretty solid win. He made those signings to keep the team competitive while rebuilding. This was the year they were supposed to let their wing fly and they literally faceplanted because of TG.

No GM will get everything right.

Perhaps, we should have spent a little more on front office and gave JB some support in his deficiencies rather than making him do it all.

Our current cap situation is not as dire as people think

We have a lot of great players deserving of raises.  Isn't that a good thing?

The fact that we have all these good players currently and have performed like crap until BB came in was more on coaching than anything else.

Nobody on this team is currently overpaid except maybe Petey and Pearson.

Boeser looks like he'll definitely be worth his contract the way he is playing under BB. Petey looks like he is picking up his play and I wouldnt be surprised if he is worth his contract by the time season ends. If we make it into playffs, watch out for an LA 2012 like team. Nobody will want to fae us first round.

We have a core of

Petey, Boeser, Horvat, Miller, Garland, Hogz, Podz, OEL, Hughes, Myers

We have guys like Motte, Pearson Dickinson, Poolman, Hamonic to round out the team

While it might be a knee jerk thing to say, what I listed is not good enough, I honestly urge ppl to just watch how the rest of the season plays out.

All of these players are worth their contracts when used properly by a solid coach.

We will then have to figure out how to either fit everyone under the cap or trade one or 2 and recoup them with picks or prospects that can help out sooner than later to keep us competitive yearly

All the bones and the framework is there.  Time for JR and co to work their magic.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I am a Benning bro but his unwillingness to fire Green is why I'm utlimately ok with him leaving.

Yes he's crappy with contracts but only some. Demko contract was solid. So was Horvat. So is Hughes. In hindsight, short term for Elias was a good call.

The ones that were bad were for role players like Roussel, Beagle, Sutter (previous contract), maybe even Pearson. He got rid of LE, Beagle and Roussel in one shot and got Garland and OEL

That's a pretty solid win. He made those signings to keep the team competitive while rebuilding. This was the year they were supposed to let their wing fly and they literally faceplanted because of TG.

Perhaps, we should have spent a little more on front office and gave JB some support in his deficiencies rather than making him do it all.

The fact that we have all these good players currently and have performed like crap until BB came in was more on coaching than anything else.

Boeser looks like he'll definitely be worth his contract the way he is playing under BB. Petey looks like he is picking up his play and I wouldnt be surprised if he is worth his contract by the time season ends. If we make it into playffs, watch out for an LA 2012 like team. Nobody will want to fae us first round.

We have a core of

We have guys like Motte, Pearson Dickinson, Poolman, Hamonic to round out the team

While it might be a knee jerk thing to say, what I listed is not good enough, I honestly urge ppl to just watch how the rest of the season plays out.

All of these players are worth their contracts when used properly by a solid coach.

We will then have to figure out how to either fit everyone under the cap or trade one or 2 and recoup them with picks or prospects that can help out sooner than later to keep us competitive yearly

All the bones and the framework is there.  Time for JR and co to work their magic.

Jim hari-kari'd himself on sticking with Green too long, and also letting Tanev leave. Demko is an awesome replacement for Marky and Tofu is ridiculously over rated here. Add to that mismanaging the covid communications within the team and there wasn't much choice but to go full clean sweep.

But having said that I do agree there's a pretty good group of guys under 30 here and I'm hoping JR can re-shape this into something special in 1-2 years.

Edited by JM_
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Jim hari-kari'd himself on sticking with Green too long, and also letting Tanev leave. Demko is an awesome replacement for Marky and Tofu is ridiculously over rated here. Add to that mismanaging the covid communicants within the team and there wasn't much choice but to go full clean sweep.

But having said that I do agree there's a pretty good group of guys under 30 here and I'm hoping JR can re-shape this into something special in 1-2 years.

Agreed

I really hope the boys can continue this run and empty the tank until Olympic break and then hopefully come back rested and focused for the stretch drive.

Problem is,  Ithink many of our core guys will be playing in the Olympics instead of resting.

I would prefer all of them to stay home and rest.

I think its very plausible for us to be within striking distance by the end of the year for a playoff spot.

I thought we would get buried in this current homestand facing Winnipeg, Boston and Carolina before BB.  After BB I was hopefuly for something like 2-1-1

If they can keep up the intensity and play hard every night, they'll be in every game.

Funny how we used to make excuses and say that every team has an off game.  While this is true, I am hopeful that the Canucks will significantly redue the amount of off games for the rest of the year.

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

lol so basically nothing but bad press? I totally missed the start of that news story. Like @IBatch I worry about injury, and the lack of Canucks hockey.

Yeah I worry about injury, covid and gusy not gettign enough rest because I fully expect them to put the pedal to the metal from no until end of Jan.

Thats coincidentally when JR said he will evaluate the team and make some decisions.

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

We have a core of

100% agree

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Just be happy QHs has worked really hard this year to turn his game around.  Nobody getting close to 8 million should have to have a Tanev to make it mostly work.  It's a tiny sample size so far ... 1/3 of a season.   Most wanted EP long term and QHs on a bridge.   I brought up how after Heiskanen, Makar, Jones, Werenski got paid that we should be signing QHs longer term, six years and was roasted by a few for mentioning that - because of how quickly the cost is going to go up now (and will continue to go up) ...  But still wanted him bridged.   Best surprise of the season so far for me at least.   Well him and Garland.   And know that JB made certain he didn't have to do the heavy lifting all my himself like other top D's with OEL.    But still better then expected.   Not sure why in the world you think he deserved way more then what he got...to me he got more then he'd shown up until then.    And JB bet on futures.   It was his second contract, not his 3rd. 

Nono i dont think he deserved way more than he got. I think he got fair value - and his contract should set the bar for the highest contract we give, given that he's our best player. Dont think Horvat or Miller should be getting QH money. 

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Well we should just run around in circles screaming Benning over and over again until the cap space opens up I guess. lol but no he actually shouldn't be leaving $10m in space to play with if he's trying to compete. That's far too much. Most successful teams are right close to the cap. You want to have as much talent as you can obviously and yet enough to be flexible at the deadline. 

If Benning spent it on actual talent that would have been a start.

Petey with shootout goal and 5-5 goal with his trademark wrister this game using his old shorter 82 flex bauer stick hmmmm.... shows the right equipment is very important.

From Province

Pettersson pulls a Forsberg, using his old stick

Pettersson also revealed that he was back to playing with Bauer stick, similar to what he'd used in past seasons, with an 82 flex rating. He said that in summer he was shipped a batch of sticks that he only realized later weren't correct.

"I thought I'd got a lot stronger in the summer but the sticks tricked me, so then I thought I had to go up a little bit (in stiffness) and then I had to make the stick longer. (But) I tried the 82 flex again and it felt good,"

Word to Petey please do not change what gave you success again, I told you to revert back during your struggles. You finally changed back and look shootout goal and a beauty wrister. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

This is a good week games wise. Most teams, especially TOR are going to be rested. 

My wishlist:

OEL in for Hunt. Please, as quick as possible.

Try someone new 4th line RW. Call up a guy. Give Di Giuseppe a chance. JR could upgrade quick at a lower cost.  

I definitely want to see an upgrade.

And no more Chiasson ever. Honestly he is so slow and he can’t play the way Boudreau wants. Pearson is borderline similar tbh.

• Cheers 1