The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks place Luke Schenn, Juho Lammikko on COVID-19 protocol, Both test Positive

Rate this topic

cuporbust

4 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Not true, I was at a couple of games and most of the people wore masks most of the time. 

lol i have been to all the home games so far but 3.. a lot of ppl are not wearing mask most of the time and holding a beer or drink the entirety of the game so they don't have to put it on

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, AC30 said:

Ok aside from the science of it all  - when you compare other cases where vaccines are used to stop the spread of other diseases it seems like vaccines for covid aren’t  effective enough - whereas historically vaccines have shut down the disease from existing period - What appears to be happening now is unprecedented and shocking that covid is still alive and well and spreading to people who have been vaccinated!

covid isn't the same kind of virus.  The way that I understand it is, it gives you some protection form infection, but gives the immune system the ability to fight it when a person becomes infected.  It does reduce transmission because, the way I understand it, the immune system prevents it from being in your body long enough to replicate to the point where you shed the virus in a heavy way and reduces the length of time you are infectious for.

There are others more qualified to answer that question though

24 minutes ago, AC30 said:

OK this is a different subject altogether with but someone just told me that masks cause brain damage through blood poisoning due to high levels of CO2… Is this true? Or is it just a bunch of bull$&!#…

Honestly...?

If that was the case, all the doctors and nurses would be brain dead. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, AC30 said:

yes I’ve heard the same - it reduces the symptoms and duration 

I suppose on this sort of level of mass  vaccination you’re going to see a wide range of reactions to the vaccine because everybody’s different and everybody responds differently to medication just like everybody responds differently to the virus - for some people the virus doesn’t affect them for other people it kills them…

Stephen Colbert Thinking GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, AC30 said:

OK this is a different subject altogether with but someone just told me that masks cause brain damage through blood poisoning due to high levels of CO2… Is this true? Or is it just a bunch of bull$&!#…

You are a disinformation magnet

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, AC30 said:

Mask won't block CO2 exchange, it's way too small to be blocked by medical masks. Doctors like myself been wearing them for decades. We don't have any brain damage I assure you.  Not uncommon to wear them for 10 hrs straight in long procedures. 

What masks can do is to increase effort to breath. So if there is a very tight seal, the work of breathing can be higher. That's is more true with N95 masks. So for some people eg obese, copd, people with obstruction airway, frail elderly, a tight mask can impair their respiratory effort. Poor effort can then lead to poor CO2 being exhaled.  So the key for those is not to form too tight of a seal. Although not as effective, it's better than nothing.

Most people wear it like a chin diaper, Bruce Boudreau included, so it isnt working anyway. It's just hygiene theater. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

49 minutes ago, AC30 said:

Sorry to tell you that someone had brain damage before masks came along.

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I was focused on looking for attractive women in the crowd.:ph34r:

With masks these days, it's more like looking for attractive women's eyes... the way I see it, if the eyes look good, you then have a 50/50 shot that the bottom half of the face is hot too lol ...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, AC30 said:

I'm more curious who this "someone" is that told you this and where he/she got his/her information from than this "someone's" claim about masks causing brain damage. 

Edited by quattrobaj

6 hours ago, wildcam said:

Yeah I watched Juulsen in a few WHL games he has good size 6'2, 205, Very defensive and ended up getting in a fight... I liked his game and excited he is getting NHL games now..

cool, we need another stay at home, who would be willing to gloves down if necessary. Ok I'm curious, in that scrap, did he win or hold his own? 

29 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

I know it's a hockey forum, but since you asked. 

It took decades polio eradication in the Americas (1994) and Europe (2002).  10 yrs at least for the small pox eradication program. 

We still have measles in some countries like Pakistan and Afghanistan and occasionally travelers bring it home and unvaccinated kids get it and an outbreak starts. 

The covid vaccines are one of the best vaccines ever made.  What's yet to be determined is the optimal dose interval and number of boosters needed. They added doses for measles and polio too after its initial rollout because it wasn't effective enough.  The initial polio vaccine is like 65-70% efficacious. Many newer ones since then are better. 

The key is to get high % of population immunized. That is 85-90%+.  Canada is about 76% for Covid m vaccines. 

To eradicate a disease, it has to be in humans only without animal reservoir (eg Polio, Smallpox). So SARS-CoV-2 won't be eradicated. It can infect animals readily, such as mink, ferrets, deer, gorilla, tiger etc.  There is a preliminary report that Omicron variant can infect mice, but we will wait and see it is confirmed by more studies. One hypothesis is that omicron variant arose from the virus infecting animals, mutated through animals, and then entered the human population again. Yikes. 

Very few vaccines prevent infection. They are designed to prevent disease. Don't think that the current covid vaccines are a failure because you can get infected.  The aim to prevent severe enough disease so it won't overwhelm the hospitala or lead to death. So far, the vaccines still do that well, for any variant. It isn't 100%, but that's why we are still encouraging more unvaccinated people to get it. 

Back to hockey. Look at all the NHL outbreak. They test regardless of symptoms. But how many are actually really sick if at all?  Vaccines are working.  

Care to explain, how the traditional vaccine [you had discussed], differs from the MrNA vaccine that is being used to battle covid ?

2 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Mask won't block CO2 exchange, it's way too small to be blocked by medical masks. Doctors like myself been wearing them for decades. We don't have any brain damage I assure you.  Not uncommon to wear them for 10 hrs straight in long procedures. 

What masks can do is to increase effort to breath. So if there is a very tight seal, the work of breathing can be higher. That's is more true with N95 masks. So for some people eg obese, copd, people with obstruction airway, frail elderly, a tight mask can impair their respiratory effort. Poor effort can then lead to poor CO2 being exhaled.  So the key for those is not to form too tight of a seal. Although not as effective, it's better than nothing.

Most people wear it like a chin diaper, Bruce Boudreau included, so it isnt working anyway. It's just hygiene theater. 

I really struggle with wearing my mask for 6 hours at school, due to my long COVID.  As a teacher, I do a lot of talking and a lot of loud talking and by the end of the day I've got a headache, breathing troubles, ears ringing.  I can't for for 2:30 tomorrow and not having to wear it for 17 days

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/16/2021 at 6:15 PM, AC30 said:

Ya thought so - just from personal observation - no exhaled co2 re-enters the body while wearing a mask 

The Tonight Show Yes GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I use a cpap machine. And let me tell you that was the freakiest thing breathing only through the nose, mouth closed. I thought...don't I exhale? But I'm like well I'm not choking.

Must be working. So a mask is only annoying when I wear my glasses instead of contacts.