The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Columbus Blue Jackets at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 14, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

12 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

If one of OEL, Hughes, or Chychrun could be converted to the right side without any issues I would be all in for him. As all left side guys though? Doesn’t make much sense. 

Hughes can play the right side from what I understand.  He's had extensive experience on that side in juniors if I understand correctly.  

As far as Chych goes, I think the asking price will be too high for us.

• Vintage 1

Just now, Patel Bure said:

Hughes can play the right side from what I understand.  He's had extensive experience on that side in juniors if I understand correctly.  

As far as Chych goes, I think the asking price will be too high for us.

I don’t think Hughes game would need to change all that much to be effective on the right. It does change the passing angles being a lefty on the right though so there would be a bit of an adjustment there. But I think he could do it.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Brackett wasn’t in charge for some of those early picks. He was in charge for the later ones. The GM always has the final decision making authority on the draft though. It just comes down to how much they went with their scouts recommendations and how much they overruled them. No one really knows that mix. 

Lots of good players came from Brackett’s individual area of scouting focus though. Boeser, Demko, Rathbone, etc so he clearly knew who he wanted and it seems the organization agreed.

Brackett wanted Hughes too - it was visible in the behind the scenes clip of the 2018 draft.

Benning asks: Zadina or Hughes?

Weisbrod:  Hughes?

and Brackett says:  Hughes.

The segment was published by the Canucks with subtitles.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Unreal game, Halak really sucked today but boy did the Canucks dominate from the 2nd period onwards in a way I don't think we've seen for years. 

Garland and Hughes were absolutely buzzing, they were 2 or 3 steps ahead of the play, winning battles and seeing passes before anyone else on the ice. Garland generates so much offence out of nothing by winning those battles down and near the net. This was a game for Hughes though, Colombus just didn't know how to defend him dropping down and skating behind their net.

Good to see Horvat and Petey's lines both end up with 2 goals and this was a classic Boudreau game of dominating offence shutting down their offence after the 2nd. We had around 30 shots in the final 2 periods and they barely had 10.

Massive character win, we're still well out of a playoff spot but have to keep rolling with these wins, even if they are marginal. Sometimes you see cracks in a win streak and Halak really dented this one but back to Demko for SJS and give Halak the Arizona game coming up.

There were many in-game adjustments by us and also by CBJ.

For example, in the latter part of the 2nd period, CBJ changed their forechecking to be more aggressive so as to prevent our defence any time to make plays.

That would have suffocated the Green coached Canucks and we would have lost the game 3-1. And it looked like it was going to work for parts of the 2nd.

But then, in the 3rd, the CBJ stopped deploying it. Maybe it was because they were up 3-1 or maybe Boudreau changed some stuff up and was easily breaking out.

Anyhow, there was a lot of in game adjustments going on. Something I can't say was the case under Green. It was a very exciting game to watch.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, mll said:

Brackett wanted Hughes too - it was visible in the behind the scenes clip of the 2018 draft.

Are you sure Benning asked, "Zadina or Hughes?"

There's a video out there that shows Benning being very pleasantly surprised that the Wings chose Zadina over Hughes.  

I think the Nucks wanted Hughes all along and were quite shocked when he dropped to them.  

• Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

There's a video out there that shows Benning being very pleasantly surprised that the Wings chose Zadina over Hughes.  

I think the Nucks wanted Hughes all along and were quite shocked when he dropped to them.  

Must be the same video.  Brackett was for Hughes too.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It’s interesting how it’s only the new players getting infected.

Makes you wonder if the combination of natural immunity (from last season’s infections) plus the vaccines has given the returning players some sort of extra resistance?

I think it’s more likely those who went through COVID hell are taking far more precautions (masks, social distancing etc) then the new guys who didn’t experience that cluster&^@# last year. That being said I’m extremely worried those 4 aren’t going to be the only positives. If I were a betting man I’d also unfortunately put my money on some of our games being postponed. Too much close contact with those possibly infected for just these players in isolation to be the worst of it. I really hope I’m wrong here.

One thing for sure though is that the protocols surrounding COVID for all teams needs to be completely redone. It’s quite obvious the current rules aren’t working as intended. There was a Flyers player pulled off the ice in another game from a COVID test too, so this situation is definitely getting worse and needs substantial changes.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay

Looking at our schedule, I think the Canucks should be able to take their next 4 of 6 games at minimum.

-Sharks twice

-Leafs

-Coyotes

-Kraken

-Ducks

Take care of the sharks twice, Kraken, and Coyotes, and I think we start to look pretty.

What I think will happen?  We split with the Sharks, lose to Toronto, and defeat the Coyotes, Kraken, and Ducks.

So I live in the Eastern time zone, and went to sleep after the 1st at 3-0 Jackets. I was honestly sort of expecting to see 5-0 or 5-2 Jackets when I woke up. Force of habit I guess, I’m probably not alone there lol

SURPRISE MOTHER BUCKET! What a win, on a FILTHY game winner. What a feed from JT. Let’s roll :metal:

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Definitely a heck of a player but I think the book on him at the time as the years went by was that he was basically a forward out of position.  People last season tried to give Hughes the same stigma/label.  Glad that Hughes is putting those guys in their places.

Ozolinsh dominated everytime he was on the ice.  What a special player.  

Hughes basically is a forward playing d. 

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, khay said:

There were many in-game adjustments by us and also by CBJ.

For example, in the latter part of the 2nd period, CBJ changed their forechecking to be more aggressive so as to prevent our defence any time to make plays.

That would have suffocated the Green coached Canucks and we would have lost the game 3-1. And it looked like it was going to work for parts of the 2nd.

But then, in the 3rd, the CBJ stopped deploying it. Maybe it was because they were up 3-1 or maybe Boudreau changed some stuff up and was easily breaking out.

Anyhow, there was a lot of in game adjustments going on. Something I can't say was the case under Green. It was a very exciting game to watch.

With Green, the word adjustment - simply, means line blending.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mll said:

What would people here said if Weisbroad said Zadina and Benning took that player instead…

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

Think about it … Benning had to ask as a GM. 
If I ”think” also that clip shows that Brackett is the draft expert of the three.

• Wat 1