The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Coyotes gauging market on Jakob Chychrun

19 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If any team could use a mid 20's top 4D locked up long term it'd be the caps. Like we were talking about earlier, they don't have much in the way of D signed for next season. Would likely get an extension done rather quickly I'd imagine. 

Given that he's signed until 2025 wouldn't it it take over a year to get a contract extension done?

Though the Yotes have been gauging the market for that long already, I guess it's all relative.

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Given that he's signed until 2025 wouldn't it it take over a year to get a contract extension done?

Though the Yotes have been gauging the market for that long already, I guess it's all relative.

I suppose that's true, they wouldn't be able to extend him immediately.. 

But I imagine they'd have a framework of some sort in place, hard to say. Washington would have to be pretty confident in their ability to retain him if they were to acquire him, or so you'd think. Hard to say. 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I suppose that's true, they wouldn't be able to extend him immediately.. 

But I imagine they'd have a framework of some sort in place, hard to say. Washington would have to be pretty confident in their ability to retain him if they were to acquire him, or so you'd think. Hard to say. 

I think it's agreed he's underpaid (relative to his peers anyway) I can't see how confident Washington could be about what he'll do in the next couple of years, assuming he keeps performing he'll want big money on his UFA contract. 2 1/2 years at $4.6m and first dibs on attempting to resign Chychrun should have fair bit of value, hopefully we actually find out how much soon.

30 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think it's agreed he's underpaid (relative to his peers anyway) I can't see how confident Washington could be about what he'll do in the next couple of years, assuming he keeps performing he'll want big money on his UFA contract. 2 1/2 years at $4.6m and first dibs on attempting to resign Chychrun should have fair bit of value, hopefully we actually find out how much soon.

I think their having to pay him would be an assumption going in through, their D is very much in flux and John Carlson is the only player they currently have signed through next season on D. Carlson is still effective but he's also just turned 33 in January and has three more seasons remaining at 8M per. Bottom line is the Caps are going to have to pay someone sooner than later, top 4D always get paid and they'll need some of them. 

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Gavrikov is a Millstein client.

Something tells me we will at least be in the conversation (awesome) for his services as a UFA which is the direction they’ve indicated they are going and likely a snag in any trade deal right now. 
he will be costly, maybe overpaid, but at least we appear to be an option which is a nice change.